Cinderella Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Carly Rae Jepsen as Cinderella 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Parade, Big Fish
Main Role: Performer
Post Carly Rae Jepsen as Cinderella
Currently on Broadway, "Call Me Maybe" star Carly Rae Jepsen is Ella in Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. I listened to an audio of her doing "In My Own Little Corner" and she sounded very nice, but I think she added a little bit of a pop style to a few things, but it was still very good. I also listened to "A Lovely Night" and I wasn't a fan of how they lowered the key of the song. As far as acting goes, I have no clue how she is doing as I have not seen her show.
So have you seen the show with Jepsen? If so, how was it?
What do you think of the idea of Carly as Ella?
Do you think people don't want Carly to be Cinderella because she's a pop star and/or will not be able to reach the bar Laura Osnes set?

Impossible things are happening everyday! :D

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:24 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: Carly Rae Jepsen as Cinderella
Oh, you have audio? Could you possibly give me the "In My Own Little Corner" audio?
Anyways,
I was lucky enough to see the OBC, so I have no idea about Carly personally! I haven't talked to anyone whose seen it either. I honestly don't wan't to give any pre judgments, as people can often end up surprising you in their ability.
I think peoples reactions were based off the fact that she is a very well known pop star, a one hit wonder one at that. It wasn't really a significant song to our culture either; Call Me Maybe was more of a... guilty pleasure. That's the only way I can really think to explain it. And the theatre community (as in fans) can often be very... harsh. Obviously she's not a theatre actress, so just from that, people felt the need to already categorize her as unworthy for the part. Now, I'm not saying I was thrilled when I found out the news, either. But I think she's worth giving a chance, just like anyone else starting out in this business. Plus, its a limited engagement only. I think a lot of it was also seeing Laura, such a big musical theatre figure to many young girls, leaving the role she created. I think it was a combination of a lot of things.
Ah, well I seem to have gotten off on a rant! :D

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:54 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Parade, Big Fish
Post Re: Carly Rae Jepsen as Cinderella
Here's the "In My Own Little Corner" audio with Carly Rae Jepsen: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCjPYd2sNlQ

And here is "A Lovely Night" with her: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=csOTM1mBwNI

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]