The Resource For Musicals

Cinderella Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Original R&H Cinderella Script vs. the "Enchanted E 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Original R&H Cinderella Script vs. the "Enchanted E
For those of you who are familiar with both versions, which one do you like better and why?

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:51 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Original R&H Cinderella Script vs. the "Enchanted E
I am directing and choreographing this show right now and had a heck of time choosing one version over the other. I really love aspects of both, and I wish that the Lea Salonga International version was available.

Some major differences between the Original and Enchanted:

-Original is in 3 acts - boo!
-Enchanted is in 2 - much easier to do!

-Original is like it says, the original. So the text is a bit dated and very cheesy.
-The Enchanted version is more like the Brandy version, so it's a bit more modern. Althouh, I hate what they've done with the Fairy Godmother adding in that she knew/and or/IS Cinderella's deceased mother!

-The original version song list:
The Prince is Giving a Ball
In My Own Little Corner
Your Majesties (aka Dressing Room Scene)
Boys and Girls Like You and Me
Impossible/It's Possible
Gavotte
Ten Minutes Ago
Waltz for a Ball
Ten Minutes Ago
Stepsister's Lament
Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?
When You're Driving Through The Moonlight
A Lovely Night
Finale
**I think you used to be able to add in "Loneliness of Evening" but didn't see it in the script this time

-The Enchanted Version is as follows:
The Sweetest Sounds
The Prince is Giving A Ball (like the Brandy Version, with all of the nonsense about what "Lionel" is ordering for the ball)
In My Own Little Corner
Boys and Girls Like You and Me
Impossible/It's Possible
Gavotte (which segues into:
Loneliness of Evening (a shortened version, as a dream before Cinderella enters) which segues into:
Waltz (which segues into:)
Ten Minutes Ago
Stepsister's Lament (with the extra verse added)
Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful?
When You're Driving Through the Moonlight (shortened)
A Lovely Night (shortened)
There is Music in You

- The original version is very "Proper" when it comes to fairy tales, doesn't leave a lot of room for added comedy
- The Enchanted version seems more "character actor" driven

- The enchanted version also adds in a disgustingly stupid prologue/poem that the Godmother Reads about the Tree (referencing the Brother's Grimm version)
- Adds in Cinderella making her own dress, well, using her Mother's old dress for the ball (referencing the Disney Cartoon)
- Adds in 4 mice (that sing?), A dove (her mother's ghost?) and Charles (a cat?) - originally done with puppets

Both versions had a lot of pros and cons to them. I eventually decided upon the Enchanted Edition due to the updated music (I like Sweetest Sounds and adding another number for the Fairy Godmother), but I am adding in "Your Majesties" to give 2 more roles for a Chef and Steward. But this makes "The Prince is Giving a Ball" a bit awkward because the Enchanted Edition talks about all the ordered items already. SO, I am changing a few things. I am using the basics from the Enchanted version (the core of the dialogue, the scenes, and the music) but re-working a lot of things to fit the flow better. For instance: scrapping the whole puppet/actors as mice, the dove and cat! I am using 4 real mice in a cage, no dove or cat. I am re-working some of the references to Cinderella's mother. I am "borrowing" my favorite bits from the Brandy Movie that were not included (for instance: "Beauty knows no pain girls!"). So, basically, I have sat down and re-typed the entire show, including the prologue, so as to make a NEW version. It is not completely orthodox, or alltogether legal, but it is only few changes that I felt HAD to be done to make this the best show possible for my cast.

Some of my issues with the original are personal (I was in the show back in 9th grade) and found a lot of flaws with the script, pacing, and all together experience. I liked that the Enchanted Edition was something I've never worked on, more adept to "FUN" characters, and IN TWO ACTS!!! It is impossible (yes, IMPOSSIBLE), I feel, to have two intermissions in a musical. None of the "acts" are long enough by themselves to deem an intermission, but you only have one and it makes one act dominate the other! So, do you stop BEFORE the ball or AFTER the ball? The new version is much more balanced and stops right after "Impossible/It's Possible". It cut a lot of the sappy and over-written dialogue between the Prince and Cinderella that has always sounded forced or fake. It makes the Stepsisters more comical, the Stepmother more of a villain, and the Prince more down to earth.

It's been a process, but I am happy with my choice, and can't wait to see what my cast does with it! No matter which version you see, you are going to leave smiling and singing the songs! The tunes are catchy and familiar, the show is fluff, and it makes you happy.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I could discuss the difference for HOURS! I've lived with all three movies, both scrips, and my own interpretation for a LONG TIME! I feel like Cinderella is now embedded in my brain for life. Haha.

- Thom

RECENT:
The Wedding Singer - George
Anything Goes - Sir Evelyn Oakleigh
Guys & Dolls - Director/Choreographer

Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:19 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Director
Thom,
I'm directing "Cinderella" in next spring (2012) and have been grappling with the same issues you mention. I love your solution, and would be very interested to see your finished script, if you're willing to share. Also, I'm wondering how you handles the orchestration of the songs you added/changed. What sort of accompaniment did you have? Piano? Pit band? Computer? I'd love to pick your brain a little, and spare mine. Thanks for any help you could offer.
Jennifer

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I would like to use the Enchanted version as the spring musical at my school but am having trouble finding an accompaniment that doesn't cost a fortune (InstrumentalEase). Also, I would love to find out how the combined script worked out and how you did the additional songs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:43 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thom-I would be very interested in your "script" or at least some suggestions. I'm thinking of doing Cinderella this spring. Thanks, Sue

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:41 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hello, i was wanting to do the show and as everyone else who has replyed would love to see your finished script if there is anyway i could i would be very grateful - Andrew

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:22 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

To all who have messaged me/commented:

I no longer have the script for my "combined" version. It is illegal to change/add/alter shows without consent from the authors.

Sorry.

I am still willing to discuss the differences, but please don't ask for a copy of the script. I don't have it. Sorry.

~Thom

RECENT:
The Wedding Singer - George
Anything Goes - Sir Evelyn Oakleigh
Guys & Dolls - Director/Choreographer

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thom wrote:
It is illegal to change/add/alter shows without consent from the authors.

No it isn't. It's a violation of copyright to distribute your alteration of a copyrighted work without permission or perform an altered version, but you can do it for your own edification without repercussion.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]