The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Oklahoma Audition Help 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Oklahoma Audition Help
Hi!
My school is holding auditions for Oklahoma in 2 weeks. I really, really, REALLY want the part of Ado Annie. I'm having some difficulty selecting an audition song. I was thinking either "A Wonderful Guy" or "Honey Bun" from South Pacific because they are R&H, just like Oklahoma. Which of these songs do you think would be better? Or is there another song that would be better than both of these?

Also, for when I have to read, should I speak with an accent?

All advice is appreciated! :D

Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Oklahoma Audition Help
I know this is too late to help you, but just in case someone comes along looking for answers to the same question I thought I'd respond.

I think both songs are good choices since they are also upbeat, mezzo songs, as well as R&H songs. I used I Enjoy Being a Girl from Flower Drum Song for my Ado Annie audition.

I practiced the dialect so that I would be ready with it if the director asked for it- he did. I would also practice varying degrees of thickness of the accent as well. I've seen productions where it's heavy and some without it at all. The one I used for performances was somewhere in between. Some of it's already written in to the script anyway, which makes it easier on the actress. With Annie it's important to have fun while playing/reading for her.

I hope that you got to play her, as she is a lot of fun to play!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]