Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
John Tiffany's New Adaptation 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
Post John Tiffany's New Adaptation
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/RIALTO-CHATTER-Update-Daniel-Evans-Bobby-Steggart-Michael-Urie-and-Alan-Cumming-Lead-Roundabouts-COMPANY-Readings-John-Tiffany-Directs-20131015

John Tiffany is working with Roundabout on a new production of Sondheim's COMPANY.
It includes some gender reversals in the casting of some of the show's characters.
In readings, Alan Cumming played Joanne and Daniel Evans played Bobby (who's openly gay in the new version).

Bobby Steggert & Michael Urie were also part of the reading.

Sondheim said : "It's still a musical about commitment, but marriage is seen as something very different in 2013 than it was in 1970. We don't deal with gay marriage as such, but this version lets us explore the issues of commitment in a fresh way."

What are you thoughts ?

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:00 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: John Tiffany's New Adaptation
It's way too early for another revival. We just had one in 2006 and a 3 day concert with Neil Patrick Harris in 2011.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
hud wrote:
It's way too early for another revival. We just had one in 2006 and a 3 day concert with Neil Patrick Harris in 2011.

And BOTH were filmed and released on DVD... I agree that it's too early for a production.

For now, it's only a workshop, but if it works well, Sondheim and Roundabout will want to have it produced !

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:47 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I found this interesting article in Playbill.com. It was on Oct 26th. The writer wrote down some suggestions for revivals with differant concepts that would give new life to these classic shows. In addition to the new adaption of Company, here are some I found that could work and would be refreshing.
1. An all male Hello Dolly
2. An all female South Pacific
3. An all black version of Gypsy. This I can see.
4. An all human production of Avenue Q
5. An all puppet version of Spamelot
6. A childrens' production of Guys and Dolls
7. A old age production of The Fantastiks
There are a few more but as the article title said, "I Can See It". I may go see them myself

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:06 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Jason Robert Brown
Main Role: Director
It's true that it is early for a revival.

Honestly, I don't see anything schoking or bothering in this concept, but I don't see anything interesting either. I'm just wondering "what's the point?"
If there hadn't been some revivals a few years ago, I would have say it was only a way of making people talk about the show, some publicity.

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]