Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
High School Audition Guide 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: High School Audition Guide
It's the opposite at our school. This is the first modern musical we've done in ages.

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:09 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Okay, so I'm basically a novice in the world of musicals, but would LOVE to be more involved in them, so I've decided to audition for my high-schools musical this year. I've been told that it's High School Musical, so I was wondering if I could get any advice on what song I should audition with? For the last musical auditions we didn't know beforehand that we'd have to sing, so everyone did Happy Birthday or the like, so the expectations probably aren't too high, but I'd love to really blow the casting directors away!
I've got basically no idea about what's a good choice and what's a bad choice, so any advice would be truly amazing! Thank you all in advance :)

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:14 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Catch Me If You Can
hopefulnovice wrote:
Okay, so I'm basically a novice in the world of musicals, but would LOVE to be more involved in them, so I've decided to audition for my high-schools musical this year. I've been told that it's High School Musical, so I was wondering if I could get any advice on what song I should audition with? For the last musical auditions we didn't know beforehand that we'd have to sing, so everyone did Happy Birthday or the like, so the expectations probably aren't too high, but I'd love to really blow the casting directors away!
I've got basically no idea about what's a good choice and what's a bad choice, so any advice would be truly amazing! Thank you all in advance :)

Don't do typical audition songs (on my own, music of the night, songs from the musical, etc.) find something that shows off the highs and lows of your vocal range, it helps give the directors a better idea of what part you can play! :)

Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Urinetown
These are really great tips.

This year, my school did Thoroughly Modern Millie. My friend auditioned for Muzzy. When she didn't get the role (it went to a junior. My friend is a freshman) she would not stop complaining for awhile. She kept saying the girl who got the part was singing the song wrong, had the wrong voice type, and can't sing. She also said she wanted to quit (she was in the ensemble) multiple times. And I was afraid to say that I thought the girl was amazing for fear of her getting mad at me and saying that she was much better and should've been Muzzy.

Also, I made the mistake of auditioning for Mrs. Flannery even though I'm bad at tap dancing and I had trouble with her little solo in Forget About the Boy. At least I was put in the ensemble.

Ruth-Children of Hooverville

Sat May 11, 2013 3:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

OK-I'm REALLY excited!
My school's doing Chicago! I literally found out yesterday-and I'm damn well gone crazy listening to every version I can get my hands on. Now, I have a kinda problem. I know who I want to go for (Billy Flynn)-I can pull him off EASY (which is odd, since his notes are a bit higher then I'm used to). My problem lies in the fact that I need a song to sing at the audition FROM THE SHOW. I'm not such if I should do Razzle Dazzle or All I Care About Is Love. Bear in mind, there's 5 other guys auditioning (including my brother-who's going for Amos), and I know at least 1 other guy will go for Amos as well, so that leaves 3 of us for Billy. Which brings me to the problem. If I'm right in my prediction, 2/3 of us auditioning for Billy are Juniors (same with my brother) and 2 (including the other one auditioning for Amos, I predict) of them are Seniors. Usually lead roles go to Seniors, but I'm not entirely sure. It kinda worries me, since I know I can out sing, and out-act them, and I was told by our director that I'm perfect for Billy, but she still might give preference to the Seniors (which really is too bad. Although considering I lost out on Mr. Bigley and The Cat in The Hat to seniors, I really shouldn't be surprised). Originally, when they went to get the rights, they couldn't, so they got the rights for Oliver, which wouldn't have been so bad, since there's more then enough parts, but it would have been playing it safe the year after doing Seussical... Now we're at the other end of the spectrum. I literally think we're the first high-school in the state (never-mind the whole region) to do it, so we could be under increased scrutiny. That, and I already know they've almost cast the girls (at least Roxie and Velma), which is problematic, since the girls I know they'll give the roles to suck at this kind of music (The last time we did ANYTHING near this kind of music was Birdie...and it's a stretch for most of them.). So what should I do? What songs should I pick?

Thanks!
Comped

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:36 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

All I Care About Is Love will give you more of a chance to show off your interpretation of the character, so I'd go for that.

Regarding the other stuff - forget about it. You can't do anything about the director's preferences for Juniors vs Seniors, or the female casting. No point in stressing about things you can't control. Just focus on nailing your audition :)

Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22