The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: The silliest things you've heard people say/ask about LM
A minor one I found while lurking on Abaisse.

Quote:
A friend of a friend just blogged that she hates that the movie is making Les Mis so mainstream.

I think I get what she's talking about, but to complain about the movie doing it?

I've also felt like Cameron has been trying too hard lately to commercialize the show. The silver, shiny font and sparkly background of the tour adds... the brighter, more colorful costumes of the tour itself...the "modernized" orchestrations... the silly "Dream the Dream" slogan to cash in on Susan Boyle's fame... the casting of a certain pop singer both onstage and in the O2 concert... But one of the things I like most about the movie is that it doesn't do that! Sure we've got a celebrity cast (and I know some people have been up in arms about that fact, crying "They should have all been unknowns!" or "They should have all been theatre people!") but they're celebrities who can ACT, not a pop singer in sight! And each time I've seen the movie so far I've been taken aback by the gritty realism! This isn't a product for the Wicked and Mamma Mia! crowd! And it could have been!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:31 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd, Phantom of the Opera
Main Role: Fan
"Javert is going to turn out to be Valjean's father, isn't he?" -my mom while watching a film version of Les Mis with me.

She insisted multiple times throughout watching the film that this had to be true because "Why else would he have mentioned that he was born in a jail?"

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:23 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re:
mxnsunflower8 wrote:
My mom once thought that Philip Quast was Russell Crowe

8O

Well... that's interesting.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:47 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Starkid!
Main Role: Performer
There was a woman standing in front of me for the the les mis movie, and she said

"What I Didn't realize was that Anne Hathaway is only in that movie for like, 15 minutes"

Roles coming up: Lady Rowena(ouam)

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: EPONINE!!!
::my grandparents come out of Les Mis::
:o Nanna: So where did the ship go?

SHE THOUGHT THE BARRICADE WAS A SHIP!!!

Oh, and my neighbor -- who has never heard of Victor Hugo! (O.o SHE should be Prisoner 24601 lol!) -- thought Les Mis was an opera...

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sorry, just have to post this...

In some otherwise eloquent comments about the movie on Facebook, I found this creative new spelling of "Javert"...

Quote:
Chevere

What is he, an inspector of goat cheese?

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:52 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I distinctly remember a review referring to "Inspector Javier", who sung "Reach for the Stars" :shock:

Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:56 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Bwaylover4445 wrote:
There was a woman standing in front of me for the the les mis movie, and she said

"What I Didn't realize was that Anne Hathaway is only in that movie for like, 15 minutes"

Eh... that doesn't strike me as particularly silly. It's not a plotline that everyone's familiar with, if you don't know, you don't know.

Mine's a little different. I read the book in French while in HS but am just now familiarizing myself with the musical, and I referenced Enjolras in discussion with my wife, who knows the show quite well. And she pronounced his name "on-HOLE-ross." I stopped her cold and had her repeat it. "Wait, isn't it 'on-ZHOLE-rah'? I mean, I've only read it, but ... that other way just sounds .. what's the word? Spanish?"

No, she assured me, that's how it's said. Then, a couple days ago, it came to mind, and I did a little internet searching to realize...yeah... nobody says it like that. "Where did you get that from?"

"I don't know, maybe my brother?" We saw him later that day. He was like "oh, on-HOAR-loss"?

Heh, yeah. Don't trust your brother, who was taking HS Spanish, for pronunciation of a French name.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:06 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
I guess Enjolras is not pronounceable for any non-french speaker...

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Gargamel wrote:
I guess Enjolras is not pronounceable for any non-french speaker...

Well, according to my French class, most of the names in LM are not pronouncable/all to easy to mishear. It took me 15 minutes this morning to realise that "Marcus" was referring to Marius. Don't even get me started on Javert...

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re:
bare24601! wrote:
Wow... today I was singing part of "One Day More" and my brother, the same one that thought Seussical was Les Miserables, goes, "Is that from Aladdin?"

One Day More in Aladdin is surprisingly easy to picture... haha.

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:53 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Well, in the 2012 movie version, Valjean has a walking stick or just a stick or something in the beginning, so whenever my brother hears "Valjean's Soliloquy," he insists that he's singing about his "wizard staff."

Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 827 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next