The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
ALW Version Movie Remake 

Would you be interested in seeing a remake of ALW's "Phantom of the Opera" by Tim Burton?
Yes 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
As long as he did not cast his "go to" actors 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Maybe 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I would like to see a remake, but with a different director 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
No remake, and no Burton 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

ALW Version Movie Remake 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Main Role: Fan
Post ALW Version Movie Remake
So it's almost been 10 years since the (mediocre at best) Joel Schumacher film was released. I would love to see a remake happen, but I doubt that it will. Hypothetically, if a remake was green lit, I would love to see Tim Burton at the helm. That is as long as he would not use his "go to" actors (Johnny Depp, his wife, etc). As far as who I would love to see cast in the movie, I'm not sure. I'd personally like to see unexpected and fairly unknown actors fill the iconic roles. I know some people will call me daft for suggesting this, but I secretly would love to see Kristin Chenoweth play Carlotta. She has the vocal ability, and the comedic chops to do it in my opinion. For some reason, I see Alan Cumming playing one of the Managers. Like I said, undecided on the rest. Thoughts?

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:50 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Post Re: ALW Version Movie Remake
Actually, Helena Bonham Carter would fit very well as Mdme Giry.

Personally, I think a Phantom movie would be at its best if it were done in the style of those old Hammer films from the 70s- Really emphasize the atmosphere and horror aspects of the show. Of course, I think it'd likely be at its best if they managed to keep Webber far, far away from it-- the recorded versions of his shows that he's had an active part in have, IMO, been found wanting, and Phantom especially is a show that needs a lot of reworking to really work effectively on screen.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Newsies The Musical, Pilgrim
Quote:
Of course, I think it'd likely be at its best if they managed to keep Webber far, far away from it

Agreed.

I would also prefer there to be a heightened sense of horror as well. One such way would be by giving the Phantom less screen time than he had in the film. There were several movie moments added in where he is on screen.

1. Hearing Christine's performance
2. During the performance of il Muto
3. During "All I Ask of You"
4. Switching places with the cab driver before Christine embarks to her father's grave
5. Rigging the chandelier to fall

With those moments omitted, it would add back the mystery of his character.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Okay, here's how I'd do it.

First things first, I would not put Tim Burton in the director's chair. No, no, no. Not right for this. Thank God he has expressed no further desire to go into musicals; after seeing what a mess he made of Sweeney Todd, which was already perfect, essentially "a movie for the stage" as Sondheim once described it, before he got his hands on it, I say, in the paraphrased words of the Rabbi in Fiddler on the Roof, "May God bless and keep Tim Burton... far away from us!" If you must make use of him, then put him where he has always been best: the design department. A film directed by someone else with the unique look of a Tim Burton picture... that's a horse of a different color. (Especially if Burton took his cue from the 1925 silent film of Phantom, and the work of Jaques Demy, sprinkled with some Peter Jackson.)

Who would I have direct? Baz Luhrmann, without question. He proved with Moulin Rouge! that he has a unique understanding of the sensibilities of a film musical. For the best example, imagine "Masquerade" with the memory of his big numbers in Rouge in mind. But the even bigger key to the picture is the musical staging and choreography. And in that chair, I would have to place Rob Marshall. Nine proved that Chicago was a fluke, and you can't stage every movie musical with the numbers happening in the character's heads, so directing it is out of the question for Marshall, but both films (and the 1999 remake of Annie) proved that Marshall is an exquisite musical stager. Putting Marshall and Luhrmann together? Oh my God... it would be beautiful. And the overall job on both parts is piss easy: study Hal Prince's staging, keep what would work on film, and second-guess the rest.

Now, as for casting... everyone has their favorites -- if you see someone else singing the part, that's perfectly fine. But here's my list of the people who would have been perfect for the film had it been done right the first time, with all of my above suggestions in mind. Some of them are actors I've seen, some I've only heard/seen clips of but really struck a chord with me, and some of them have never been within 500 yards of a production but strike me as good fits for the part anyway:

The Phantom…………Hugh Jackman
Christine…………Anne Hathaway
Raoul………………………………Ewan McGregor
Carlotta…………………………Kristin Chenoweth
M. Firmin…………………………………Nathan Lane
M. André…………………………………………………Matthew Broderick
Mme. Giry………………………………………Glenn Close
Meg Giry…………………………………………………Katie Holmes
Ubaldo Piangi…………………………………………………………Frederic Heringes
M. Reyer…………………………………………………………………Jonathan Pryce
Joseph Buquet……………………………………………Jim Broadbent
Don Attilio/Passarino……………………………………Shuler Hensley

Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:20 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
I actually really like a lot of your casting ideas- but wouldn't Pryce work better as one of the managers?

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hathaway is a trained soprano (and was apparently considered for the first movie) but she is rather getting past age appropriate (for a character that's no more than 18 probably 16).

I think Pryce would be a better choice for Firmin, with someone like Jeremy Irons or Alan Rickman as Andre.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Well, as I said, these would have been choices had they gotten it right the first time. As for the managers, I originally had Lane and Alan Cumming in mind, but then, the more I thought of Nathan Lane in a role, the more I thought, "Well, what the hell, why not, Bialystock and Bloom trying to run an opera house with a murderous nut job in the basement, and that's the least of their worries." The managers are pretty much the comic relief, and Lane and Broderick are a proven team that would kill!

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:05 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick as the managers? That would be awesome, considering how funny they were in the producers :D As for Tim Burton, he's good at original stuff but not so good at adaptations.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:05 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I agree with many here that Tim Burton would not be the right person to direct this film. Maybe in the 1990s, his style might have worked, but I think he's fallen into a comfortable rut and wouldn't be able to deliver on this sort of film even if he were interested in doing another musical. I'd much rather have someone like Guillermo del Toro in charge of something like this. Or maybe even Christopher Nolan; his interior shots of the theatre in The Prestige struck me as something that would work well for a POTO adaptation. (Though Nolan once said he wasn't interested in musicals, so that's probably a no-go...) Terry Gilliam could also be interesting, as long as he didn't decide to stray really far from the original script.

As for casting... I think this is the sort of project that absolutely needs actors who have done stage musicals with similar vocal requirements, at least as the Phantom and Christine. Casting film actors without much singing experience, or even those who've done some musicals with very different requirements, would probably be a disaster. Unless the filmmakers were willing to dub popular movie stars with professional singers' voices, but it seems like that's no longer "cool" for movie musicals.

I used to be on the "Hugh Jackman as the Phantom" bandwagon, but after his performance in the Les Misérables film, I don't think he'd be a good choice for something like this. He may do well acting-wise, but I'm really not a fan of his singing voice (even in the stage musicals and concerts he did before Les Mis), so that would likely be a dealbreaker for me. As for Anne Hathaway, I think she'd have been a much better pick for Christine than Emmy Rossum back in the early 2000s, but now she may be considered a little too old for the role. Plus, I think she's been looking to move past ingenue roles for the past few years, so she might not be interested in the role now even if it was offered to her.

So who would I want? Tough to say... I think it would be awesome to get Anthony Crivello and Kristen Hertzenberg from the now closed Las Vegas production to reprise their roles as the Phantom and Christine on film. I'd pick those two for several reasons -- they've performed together in the stage show many, many times and so they know their characters and the music extremely well, and they also had great chemistry together and wouldn't need a lot of time and effort to develop that for a film. Plus, Anthony has some film and TV acting under his belt, so I think he'd know how to make his performance work for film. And their portrayals are some of the most Leroux-faithful I've experienced in the musical, so that's a definite plus for me. (Bonus points if they let Kristen keep her natural hair color in the film so Christine can be a blonde like in the novel, as well!) Another potentially great candidate for the Phantom could be Chris Murray, who has done several musicals and operas in Europe. He mainly sings in German but has also sung in English for albums and concerts... and although he's never played the Phantom, he is a fan of the show and has played similarly challenging roles like Valjean and Javert in Les Misérables, and the title roles in Jekyll & Hyde.

As for other roles... Raoul is one role where a film star who can sing decently could work, perhaps, though stage performers would also be good (my vote would go to Aaron Tveit or Ryan Silverman). I'd love to see either Wendy Ferguson or Kim Stengel return as Carlotta; both were always fantastic in the stage show. Some fun could be had with the casting of the managers -- perhaps John Lithgow, Kevin Spacey, or Tim Curry as Firmin with Alan Cumming as Andre, or even two Monty Python alumni (John Cleese or Terry Gilliam as Firmin, with Eric Idle or Terry Jones as Andre?) Michael Crawford or another well-liked stage Phantom as Lefevre could be great, as well. And I would love to see Christopher Lee as the Auctioneer during the prologue; I've always been a fan of imposing and deep-voiced Auctioneers, and Chris is one of the very best for that. :mrgreen:

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]