The Resource For Musicals

Annie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Races, and the bald Daddy Warbucks! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Races, and the bald Daddy Warbucks!
Dear "Annie" Fans,

Have you ever seen any live productions of "Annie", wherein any of the main characters were played by non-Caucasian actors? Is it era-correct (Ie: Correct according to the morals of the 1930s?) to cast non-Caucasians in any of the main roles? Oh, and does Daddy Warbucks ALWAYS tend to sport the bald look?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
:?:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:52 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: The Sound of Music
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Races, and the bald Daddy Warbucks!
In the production I'm in all of the cast are white, although there are not many black people at my school. They are slicking back my hair as Daddy as it can be a bit much to ask to shave a head sometimes

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:00 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, obviously there's Audra McDonald as Grace in the Disney film, and Nell Carter played Miss Hannigan on Broadway. I doubt either of those casting choices is historically authentic, but they happened.

As for Daddy Warbucks, I once saw a community theatre production where he was only balding - the actor had a gray beard and what little hair was left on his head was gray too. And it worked. The image of the bald Daddy Warbucks is so well known, like Annie's red curls and red dress, that it's hard to discard, but not absolutely necessary either.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:35 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Vanessa20 wrote:
Well, obviously there's Audra McDonald as Grace in the Disney film, and Nell Carter played Miss Hannigan on Broadway. I doubt either of those casting choices is historically authentic, but they happened.

As for Daddy Warbucks, I once saw a community theatre production where he was only balding - the actor had a gray beard and what little hair was left on his head was gray too. And it worked. The image of the bald Daddy Warbucks is so well known, like Annie's red curls and red dress, that it's hard to discard, but not absolutely necessary either.
Nell Carter I never understood because it suggests the Rooster, Lilly, and Annie herself should also be non white.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]