Dear Musicals.Net Posters,
If you were a teen boy during the past, or you are a teen boy today, feel free to answer the following questions:
FOR MEN WHO WERE TEENS DURING THE 1970s:
1. Did you watch "Little House on the Prairie" and/ or "The Waltons" with your family, and/ or did you adopt either a prairie, or a Depression-era look?
2. Were you shocked because you had a mother who was all of a sudden working?
3. Did you frequent Discos?
4. Did you aspire to look like Donny Osmond, Robert Redford, or Jack Nicholson, and/ or did you fantasize about Farrah Fawcett, Jane Fonda, Lynda Carter, etc.?
5. Did you experiment with The Occult, Oiji boards, cults, etc.?
6. Were you shocked and saddened to hear about the Love Canal disaster, The Jonestown Massacre, the Three Mile Island disaster, and/ or the Iran hostage crisis?
7. Did you wear bell bottoms?
8. Did you eat granola, yogurt, fondu, and/ or quiche?
9. Were you excited about seeing "Love Story", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Star Wars", "Grease", etc.?
10. Were you either entranced or traumatized by "The Exorcist", "Halloween", "The Brood", etc.?
11. Did you wear a Robert Redford hairstyle, and/ or a mustache?
12. Did you ever wear a leisure suit?
13. Were you a dilinquent, an alcoholic, a pot smoker, and/ or an LSD user?
14. Did you wear platform shoes, or were you more the cowboy type?
15. Were you as shocked as your mother was when Growing Up Skipper (She grew a chest with the turn of her arm) was marketed to your little sister by Mattel, and/ or did your parents disapprove of G.I. Joe, due to the fact that he represented war?
16. Did you love listening to songs like "Rocky Mountain High", and/ or Disco favorites?
17. Did you eat Reese's Pieces?
18. Did you wear MOD fashions, long hair, Day Glo colors, and/ or polyester shirts?
19. Did you feel mistrustful of adults, and/ or watch shows like "All In The Family", or did you desire the past, and watch shows like "Happy Days"?
20. Were you sent to Vietnam, and did you support, or oppose, the war?
21. Were you into natural living, and did you start to care about chemical/ additive/ environmental issues?
22. Were you a late 1970s punk, Goth (?), etc.?
23. Did you use the word "groovy" in every other sentence?
24. Did you agree with The Women's Movement, or were you against it, and what were your father's beliefs about it ?
25. Were you into sports, or were you more into the arts?
BONUS QUESTION: Did/ do you believe that you would have fit in more successfully with your peers if you had been either a drug addict or a materialistic Disco groupie?
FOR MEN WHO WERE TEENS DURING THE 1980s:
1. Were you a Valley Guy, who walked the walk, talked the talk, dated only Valley Girls, etc.?
2. Did your parents party, do drugs, and ignore you, and did you do pot, heroine, and/ or become an alcoholic?
3. Were you obsessed with looking physically fit?
4. Were you saddened by the Challenger tragedy?
5. Did you aspire to look like Tom Selleck, Tom Cruise, or Arnold, and/ or did you fantasize about Brooke Shields, Linda Evans, Molly Ringwald, Tiffany, Madonna, etc.?
6. Were you crazy about teen movies like "Back to the Future", "The Karate Kid", "Footloose", "Rambo" (Teen movie?), etc.?
7. Did you have to have a mullet?
8. Was a skateboard your second best friend?
9. Did you love "E.T.", or either of the second and third "Star Wars" movies?
10. Did the thought of Freddy and/ or Jason scare you, or did you think that those villains were pretty cool?
11. Did you see "Conan the Barbarian", and, if you watched that movie, what did you think of it?
12. Did you ever wear the color pink?
13. Were you interested in The Counterculture of the late 1960s?
14. Did you watch MTV, and/ or "Labyrinth"?
15. Did you know about the Vanessa Williams Miss America scandal?
16. Did you like Michael Jackson?
17. Were your favorite shows "Saved By the Bell", "ALF", "Family Ties", "The Ten of Us", etc.?
18. Did you gel your hair?
19. Did you watch "Blue Lagoon" just so that you could see Brooke Shields?
20. Did your mother grill you about Nancy Regan's "Just Say No!" campaign, telling you that you'd better not become a drug user, and/ or did your parents talk to you about strangers and child molesters?
21. Did your sister, and/ or your girlfriend have "Mall Bangs"?
22. Did your mother think that "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was too adult for your little siblings, and did you desire Jessica Rabbit with an insane passion of which you didn't dare speak?
23. Did you wish that your house didn't look so darned 1970s?
24. Did you prefer New Wave music over Disco music?
25. Were you a Goth, and/ or a punk, or did you look like a Valley Dude, or like a cowboy?
BONUS QUESTION: Did/ do you believe that you would have fit in more successfully with your peers if you'd been wealthy, neglected, and monetarily spoiled?
FOR MEN WHO WERE TEENS DURING THE 1990s:
1. Did you speak like a Valley Dude (Ie: "I was, like...", "And she's all...", etc.), or did you use Gang slang (Ie: "Yo!")?
2. Did you bleach your hair?
3. Were you a teen alcoholic?
4. Did you wear neutral colors, while avoiding bright colors as though they were the Plague?
5. Did your parents divorce while you were a teen?
6. Did you listen to The Cardigans, and/ or did you like The Barenaked Ladies?
7. Were you always trying to convince every other teen that you'd suffered more than they had, and that they'd never be able to understand you?
8. Did you go away to college claiming to have been either molested or raped as a child, and/ or did you go away to college with stories about how you'd beaten up some really tough-looking guy?
9. Did you own a brown and gold striped shirt?
10. Did you put on a super quiet, disinterested, blah attitude for everybody, including your peers?
11. Did you watch "Friends" religiously?
12. Were you a Goth and/ or did you ever watch "Casper" in a theatre?
13. Did you aspire to look like Brad Pitt, Leo Dicaprio, or Justin Timberlake, and did you desire Cindy Crawford, Jennifer Aniston, and/ or Kate Moss?
14. Did your parents think that "Cool World" was too adult for you to watch?
15. Did you enjoy the movies "Romeo + Juliet" and/ or "Titanic", and/ or did a girlfriend buffalo you into accompanying her to either, or both, of those movies?
16. Did you ever wear super low, baggy jeans?
17. Did you wear chains on those jeans?
18. Did you cry during "Beauty and the Beast", and/ or "The Lion King", and/ or did you think that "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" was scandalous, or did you avoid Disney movies like the plague?
19. Did you own a hackey sack, and did you and your friends ever play with it?
20. Did you have a large c.d. collection?
21. Did your sister have a Beanie Baby?
22. Did your parents believe that Britney Spears was the worst role model ever for teenagers, and/ or did you think that she was slutty?
23. Were you a heroine addict, and/ or an alcoholic, and/ or were you depressed and suicidal?
24. Did you wear black boots?
25. Did you own a camcorder?
* BONUS QUESTION: Did/ do you feel that you would have fit in more successfully with your peers if you'd done drugs, come from a broken home, been mistreated as a kid, and/ or just suffered more when you were a teenager?
FOR TEEN BOYS OF THE EARLY 2000s (2000-2009)
1. Were you looking forward to the year 2000, or were you worried about Y2K?
2. You were more than likely saddened by the 9-11- 2001 tragedies, but were you surprised by the fact that America was attacked?
3. Were you trying to keep your little sisters from listening to Britney and Christina?
4. Did you desire Britney, Christina, and/ or Mandy?
5. Did you see "Fantasia 2000" with your family, or did you think that Disney movies sucked?
6. Were you an internet, and/ or YouTube junkie, and/ or did you date online?
7. Did you start an Atkin's Diet routine, and then ditch the diet as soon as it became unpopular?
8. Were you depressed, a cutter, a drug-addict, and/ or an alcoholic, and did you abuse prescription drugs, and/ or did you watch "The Dr. Phil Show"?
9. Did your parents have you and raise you together, without ever having married each other, and/ or did they divorce when you were super young?
10. Did you frequent Starbucks?
11. Were you pressured to be politically correct, or could you never imagine being anything except politically correct?
12. Did you go crazy for the "American Idol" craze?
13. Did you aspire to look like Ryan Seacrest, or any other popular male celebrities (Sorry!), and/ or did you desire Britney Spears, Christina Aguilara, Mandy Moore, Carrie Underwood, etc.?
14. Did you collect any of the WWF Wrestling figures?
15. Did your girlfriend wear a Promise Ring?
16. Was your Sweet 16 party a super expensive party, or was it simple?
17. Did you wear hoodies?
18. Did you wear super tight, wrinkle-ankled jeans, and, if you wore such jeans, were they really comfortable, or were you just wearing them for fashion's sake?
19. Did you grow really quickly compared to the speed with which your older brothers/ cousins had grown at your age?
20. Were you Autistic, ADHD, Bi-Polar, Schizophrenic, Diabetic, and/ or obese, and, if you had any of these conditions, did you fit in because of them, or did you feel awkward because of them?
21. Did you consider your political opinions to be of the utmost importance, with regards to how you fit in with your peers?
22. Were you registered on MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.?
23. Did you adopt a Ryan Seacrest hairstyle?
24. Did you become an Emo kid, or were you more the punk type?
25. Did you go away to war?
BONUS QUESTION: Did/ do you feel that you would have fit in more successfully with your peers if you'd been either more mentally ill, or more Emo/ punk, and/ or if you'd been more like the teen guests on "The Dr. Phil Show" ?
FOR TEEN BOYS OF TODAY (2010 to the present time)
1. Do you need to lose at least 10 pounds?
2. Are you crazy for Taylor Swift?
3. Are you an Emo kid, and/ or a cutter, who always claims that nobody understands your pain?
4. Have you abused Oxycotin?
5. Has at least one of your older siblings already been through a divorce?
6. Are you on at least three prescription medications?
7. Are you Autistic, Bi-Polar, ADHD, or all three?
8. Do you wear tight, scrunchy "Char-Pei puppy" jeans, bright colors, and/ or a Justin Beiber hairstyle?
9. Do you think that Bristol Palin is the best mother in the world?
10. Have you gone completely insane over a "hot" girl whom you only know on the internet?
11. Has your girlfriend/ sister attempted to create "The Snooki Pouf" with her hair?
12. Have you fought in the war overseas?
13. Have you gone green?
14. Do you aspire to look like Justin Beiber, or any of today's other popular male celebrities (Sorry!), and/ or do you go crazy for Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, and/ or Adele?
15. Do you believe that Tom Cruise is a good role model for guys, and what do you think of Scientology, in general?
16. Do you own a photo of a female celebrity?
17. Do your parents make you watch "Dr. Phil", "Dr. Oz", "The Anderson Cooper Show", or any other similar show, in order to teach you how to grow up decently?
18. Are you obsessed with California and/ or Hollywood?
19. Are you a rabid "Twilight" and/ or vampire fan?
20. Have you created at least one Youtube video?
21. Do you know somebody who has committed suicide due to an instance/ instances of cyber-bullying?
22. Have you ever misheard somebody, bumped into someone, gotten into a vehicle accident, etc., due to your habit of constantly texting/ sexting people?
23. Do you eat soy products, or do you avoid soy products? Are you a gluten glutton, or have you gone gluten-free? Do you love tofu, or have you given tofu the boot?
24. Do you have a tattoo?
25. Are you looking forward to the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London?
* BONUS QUESTION: Do you believe that you'd fit in more successfully with your peers if you were an Emo girl, if you were more like Lady Gaga, if you were some type of an addict, if you were involved in the war overseas, if you were a teen father, if you were on a few mental medications, etc.?
Thank you in advance for your replies.