The Resource For Musicals

South Pacific Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
I'm totally confused about Emile DuBeque's past! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post I'm totally confused about Emile DuBeque's past!
Dear "South Pacific" Fans,

I'm totally confused about Emile's past! Keep in mind that I've only ever seen the movie versions of the show. I'd love to see it live, but I've never been able to do so.

Well, anyway, when Emile first discusses his past with Nellie, he says that when he was a YOUNG man in France, he killed the bully who tried to kill him, and he ran away to the South Pacific! I've always assumed that he ran away relatively soon after he killed the bully in France, and I've always assumed that he's lived in the South Pacific ever since that time!

Slightly later, we meet Emile's two children, whom I will assume are about 7 and 5, or so...(?), and, after that, Emile actually reveals the back-story about his children, telling Nellie that he "was young" when he met the beautiful mother of his children, and that he "lived as [he] could". Right after that, Nellie has her famous, racially-induced meltdown, and she runs away from Emile.

The deal about the ages of Emile and the kids has just recently begun to bug me! If Emile is, say, 55 (How old IS Emile supposed to be, anyway?), and the kids are only 7 and 5, then that means that Emile became a father at the age of 48, and then again at the age of 50. The mother of the children was presumably a young, healthy woman when she bore both kids, so let's say that she was maybe 25, max, when she delivered the first kid, and about 27 or so when she delivered the second kid. That would mean that she would have been 13 years younger than Emile.

That's not much of a problem if Emile HADN'T been "young" when he "lived as he could" with the "beautiful" South Pacific native woman. Of course, since Emile claims that he was so "young" when he met the woman, he had to have been around, say, 18 when he left France. If he was 18, the woman had to have been at least 16.

If they had started their family right away, there's no WAY that those kids could still be so young when Nellie meets them. Emile's wife must have died fairly recently, because there's no way that she could have given him two kids who are so young if she'd died years ago. Of course, with all of Emile's talk about how "young" he was, he makes it sound as though he met his first wife at a young age, and that they not only got married quickly, but started a family right away, too.

I cannot believe that the kids are simply suffering from severe hormone deficiencies (AKA Looking far too young for their biological ages), or that Emile considered himself to be so "young" if he, in fact, met his wife when he was in his 40s. His wife had to have been young enough to have healthy children, and she had to have died recently, because her kids are so young.

I'm confused, because the ages of Emile and the kids don't really mesh with Emile's apparent claims of being "young" when he met his wife. Even if he generally likes 'em young, his wife would have HAD to have been of a child-bearing age, and her kids would be WAY older than they are, because, let's face it, Emile IS an older man when he and Nellie meet.

If Emile had said that the French bully had upset him for YEARS before he'd killed him, then maybe Emile's story would make sense to me, but Emile makes it sound as though he was super young when he killed the bully in self-defense and left France.

So, what's the REAL truth about Emile?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
:?:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sat May 26, 2012 11:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: I'm totally confused about Emile DuBeque's past!
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... nnotDoMath

Sun May 27, 2012 10:35 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear kuxuanwo,

Like, my friend Stacy TOTALLY bought, like, this insanely ugly prom dress, and, like, then, at the stupid prom, her date Dillon TOTALLY, fer SHURR spilled, like, all of this majorly grody, like, strawberry punch all over her. Everybody KNOWS that he was, like, just trying to have an excuse so he could get close to her, because, like, if he totally spilled the punch, he'd have to say, like, "Sorry", and try to dry her dress while SHE was, like, fer SHURR having some kind of a major, flip-out spazzz attack, I'm so shurr!

Well, ANYWAY, she screamed, and then she, like, fer SHURR yelled at him to, like, get the hell away from the high school gym, which was, like, THE place for the prom, ya' know? So, like, I stepped in, 'cause what the hell are friends, like, totally FOR, ya' know? Oh, but then this majorly tempermental skank named Patricia approaches the three of us, and she goes, like, to me, "What are YOU doin' at the punch table, unless you're askin' to be PUNCHED?"

Well, I shoved Patricia away, and we ALMOST, like, got into a majorly ugly girl fight, but then, like, Stacy got this, like, AMAZING burst of maturity, and she, like, politely asked Dillon to get some wet paper towels. He totally left, and so Stacy, like, fer shurr told Patricia to mind her own business, before she found her OWN dress covered in strawberry punch!

Patricia backed the hell off, and the moral of the story is, like, TOTALLY:

THOU SHALT AVOID POSTING COMMERCIAL WEBSITE PROMOTIONS ON MUSICALS.NET!

I hope that you, like, TOTALLY don't mind the fact that I had to tell you that commercial promotions are strictly prohibited at this site. Sorry, but it's true.

Thank you in advance for your reply, and feel free to stop by again...for MUSICAL THEATRE-RELATED chat! If you'd like to have a non-commercial discussion about dresses, feel free to join us over at the general board, and if you'd like to discuss dresses, please label the topic as being "Off-Topic".
:idea:

kuxuanwo wrote:
:D :D
Next weekend is my friend’s wedding day. Now, I am leafing through her wedding dress photos.She put in all kinds of Tea Length Wedding Dressesand showed her beauty.No doubt, Tea Length Wedding Dresses suit her and made her a bride with so much glamour. Then I found some graduation photoes. At the parties,we dress in all kinds ofprom dresses on sale.I never forget the shop which had prom dresses on sale.

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Mon May 28, 2012 5:06 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
The Duchess of Mint wrote:
Thank you in advance for your reply, and feel free to stop by again...for MUSICAL THEATRE-RELATED chat! If you'd like to have a non-commercial discussion about dresses, feel free to join us over at the general board, and if you'd like to discuss dresses, please label the topic as being "Off-Topic".

You really don't have to do that last part, but yeah.

Mon May 28, 2012 12:29 pm
Profile WWW

Emile could have waited ot have children..enjoying hisl ife with the young woman. and she could have died of anyting in a tropical climate.

Tue May 29, 2012 6:46 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Other...
Salome wrote:
Emile could have waited ot have children..enjoying hisl ife with the young woman. and she could have died of anyting in a tropical climate.

Exactly. Couples sometimes wait to have children. And the the thing is, "young" is a relative term. Sometimes people consider young in the 30s. Others 20s. It depends on the individual and the circumstance. His wife also could have been a lot younger than we think, too.

Tue May 29, 2012 7:29 am
Profile WWW

RIGHT. Liat is only around 16.. Emile's wife was probably around that age too.

Tue May 29, 2012 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]