The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
An amazing show! Stuck in my head. 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post An amazing show! Stuck in my head.
This might sound a ridiculous post, but I cannot believe what an amazing show Oklahoma is. :clap: I've just finished in the role of Laurey (amateur, but with a top notch amateur company) and I simply cannot get the musical out my head! I'm sure it's normal but I feel really, really sad that it's over!

Rather than it being a 'missing people' feeling, after 3 months of rehearsals, I felt like there was more and more that I was discovering, not only in Laurey, but in all the other characters, seeing how much depth there could be to all of them. Even in the performance week, there was something different every night that I'd spot, that I could use the next night. That's what I'm sad about, that there's probably so much more that could be drawn out but I won't get chance to.

When I've seen it performed in the past (not professionally, unfortunately), often the lib is just brushed past with a view to get to the songs, simply made out as a 'feel good' show. But the more I read the script and went through everything, the more and more it stood out to me as a very deep show - yes, great songs, great choreography, etc etc, but this is a story that's actually PROPER; not a way of just stringing the songs together.

I'm considering finding another group (ANYWHERE!!) to see if I can do it again - I loved the cast I was with (some insanely good, I felt like I found a whole new side to myself because of what I learnt from them - this was my first main leading role in a musical) - but more-so, loved the challenge it posed for me, with the chance to really develop a character so much. Urgh, pining away!

Anyone else love it?! :?:

((Have to say, the 1999 movie of the stage version was brilliant for making me think so much about it - I didn't 'base' my Laurey on Josefina, but she really gave me ideas of where to look for parts to bring out. Fabulous adaptation!))

Sat May 12, 2012 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]