The Resource For Musicals

The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Musicals that are or aren't appropriate for high schools 

Boys, boys - put down the handbags, eh? Don't make me lock this thread due to personal abuse.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:31 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I agree that it's not right for a college to do Steel Magnolias and the V-monologues right after each other.

LeocadiaBegbick wrote:
Again, on a logical basis, why would they do the show every year if it wasn't?

I find it interesting that you find it 'not right' for a college to do two female heavy shows in a row, on the basis that it limits opportunity for male students to perform but have no concern that a high school (where equal opportunity should be upheld at all times, even if not in relation to the 'real world') produces a all-female cast, female issues based show presumably hiding behind the premise that it promotes awareness and raises money.

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:24 am

Boys, boys - put down the handbags, eh? Don't make me lock this thread due to personal abuse.

Boy singular, you mean. I received the personal abuse and responded by noting that I would not be taken off-topic by it and steering us back onto course.

Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Post Re: Musicals that are or aren't appropriate for high schools
Bored. Resurrecting this.

Canadian Drama Geek wrote:
A Chorus Line*- Dancing in highschool shows is usually so dismal anyhow, why subject the poor parents to a whole two hours of it? Unless it was an arts school with a plenitude of talented dancers of both sexes, this would be a pretty bad choice.

Exactly!

I've never understood why high school drama teams take on Cats. It's a dance show, so I don't see why a group of non-dancers should tackle it. I know the directors can (and often do) change the choreography, but then it's not interesting to watch. Honestly, it would make more sense for a dance team to do it then for a drama team!

As far as other shows, I've heard of a few schools doing productions of Miss Saigon. Maybe people will disagree with me, but it sure seems awfully sexual for a group of kids to be performing. Other than that, maybe Sweeney Todd could be considered too gorey, but that can be toned down easily (make the killings behind a curtain? actually, I recently saw a production of Urinetown and the kids used red ribbon to represent blood while they were killing the cops. I thought that worked out nicely without being too disgusting or gorey).

Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:52 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i really want to be involved in an any theater musical since i was in high school..the good thing is that i was unable to encounter those in the lists :)

Tue May 01, 2012 12:14 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Bonnie & Clyde
Main Role: Performer
Sorry this is late so late...
My high school did Cabaret two years ago, and it got excellent reviews with raised eyebrows. Everyone I talked to who had seen it (i didn't) said it was really "racy" but a good production. it really depends on the school i think--we have an amazing drama and music program (its a public high school in Seattle) with 6 choirs and fantastic musicals. This year we did Bye Bye Birdie :)
But yeah, they've done Grease, Oklahoma, and Cabaret and never had a real problem.

Tue May 01, 2012 11:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^ I think "Cabaret" can be toned down without taking that much from the show (e.i., toning down the provocative dancing). Despite it being controversial, it could tie in with a history lesson for the students, seeing as most high schools cover WWII and the Holocaust in their history classes. It's not anymore dark than the Holocaust itself.

Wed May 02, 2012 6:33 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Having been out of HS for many years, but going to see various HS productions from time to time with other theater friends, I can safely say this:

*Every* HS where I live has done Grease and Oklahoma at least once since I graduated HS. Those two seem like the safe bet of HS shows IMO.

Other favorites I've seen from more then one HS are Beauty and the Beast, Guys and Dolls, and Les Mis.

Thu May 03, 2012 7:17 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Aida * (needs mature singers so they dont ruin their voices)
All Shook Up
Cabaret
Camelot * (needs an experienced actor for arthur to convey the part)
Chicago
A Chorus Line * (most high schools do not have actor/singers who are trained dancers)
Company * (teens wont be able to convey the intricate nuances of married couples and thier relationships)
Damn Yankees
Evita
Footloose
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Gypsy
Hair
Hairspray
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Into the Woods
Jekyll and Hyde
Jesus Christ Superstar * (see Aida)
Kiss Me Kate
Les Miserables
Little Shop of Horrors
My Fair Lady * 9it can be don but the shavian language and the higgins role really do require more than a high schoolers theatre training)
Oklahoma!
Oliver!
Once Upon a Mattress
The Producers
Ragtime
Rent
South Pacific
Sweeney Todd * (the vocals are very demanding for developing voices)
Urinetown
West Side Story

Thu May 03, 2012 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What exactly is wrong with Little Shop? Are folks really offended by people getting eaten by a plant? Or is it the abusive relationship?

Thu May 03, 2012 10:45 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Cptn. Wazoo wrote:
What exactly is wrong with Little Shop? Are folks really offended by people getting eaten by a plant? Or is it the abusive relationship?

I don't think it's anything to do with material that may be offensive, but could be more to do with building that freakin plant!

My old HS was supposed to do LSOH about two years ago, but those plans fell through when, apparently, they couldn't come to a consensus about how to build not just a plant, but one that didn't look shoddy.

Sun May 06, 2012 9:48 am

I really don't think that's an issue. Even if they can't build one, they can still rent props.

Sun May 06, 2012 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next