The Resource For Musicals

Beauty and the Beast Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Gaston: More raunchy, or more funny? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Gaston: More raunchy, or more funny?
Dear "Beauty and The Beast" Fans,

I realize that Gaston must ballance out his raunchy side with his comical side during both the movie and the stage versions of Disney's "Beauty and The Beast", and that he must be, more or less, family-appropriate during both, but is he allowed to be MORE raunchy during the stage show than he was allowed to be during the actual movie, or is his comical side supposed to be magnified instead?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
:?:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:58 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Gaston: More raunchy, or more funny?
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. It depends on the director and actor's personal preferences. Personally, were I to direct the show, I would make Gaston more frightening and aggressive than comical. That's what Lefou is for.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

ActingDude17 wrote:
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. It depends on the director and actor's personal preferences. Personally, were I to direct the show, I would make Gaston more frightening and aggressive than comical. That's what Lefou is for.

This. Gaston is a caricature with comic moments, to be sure, but he is the show's villain character. He's evil. He wants to kill the Beast. He wants to frame Maurice as insane and imprison him.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's weird that some people on imdb.com and elsewhere have trouble accepting the two sides of Gaston. I don't get it when they write things like "He's a lousy villain, he's just a comic idiot and then at the end we're supposed to believe he's sooooo evil." I've seen the movie probably a hundred times and I've never seen any imbalance or inconstancy between his comic aspect and his evilness.

I don't get it either (well, I only half get it) when people insist that the Beast is just as bad as Gaston at the beginning and that Belle is a hypocrite for despising Gaston yet giving the Beast a second chance. Sure, the Beast starts out "spoiled, selfish and unkind," but he isn't arrogant like Gaston (on the contrary, he's full of self-hate), he never cold-bloodedly schemes to do anything really horrible, and he isn't "sexist" as some people claim (Gaston is sexist; the Beast wouldn't have treated Belle any better at first if she'd been a man).

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think having Gaston be subtly aware of his sex appeal (a la Gwen Verdon) is a good idea, but only up to Maison De Lunes. From that scene onward, he needs to be terrifying.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I ushere at the community theatre and a grouo put on BATB recently, and I think their Gaston showed a very good balance. He was funny when he needed to be, but also showed hints of his aggressive side (He was genuinely creepy - to me at least - when he did his "I'll have Belle for my wife" bit) and I must admit, the fight sequence was VERY well done. Probably because they didn't fake it, at least not totally. There may have been one fake punch (it wasn't bad, but it's hard to make it work all the time, especially in amateaur community theatre), but they mostly had some very rough kicking and shoving going on, and the stabbing wasn't bad either (a clip I found from a Danish production will forever be my unit of measure for the fight scene. There was lots of stabbing at the end O__o). But yes, I find that a majo weakness is that Actors often focus on getting the homour spot on and forget that Gaston is in fact the villain, and supposed to be scary too...

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Obsessed with Sondheim. Always Sondheim.
Main Role: Performer
To me, he has to have a good combination of rauchiness, creepiness and pure evil, with moments of good comedy. He is a funny part due to the fact that for much of the show he's a larger than life caricature. He's a complete narcissist, and that can be funny. Yet he is not a good guy, and gets carried away by his loathing of the beast to the point where he becomes somewhat of a homicidal crazy person...

Previously: Mary Phagan in Parade, Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream, Little Red in Into the Woods, Annie in Annie

Hopefully: Fantine in Les Mis, Rose in Gypsy, Olive in Spelling Bee..

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear TheatreGeek04,

I love that interpretation of Gaston.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8-)

TheatreGeek04 wrote:
To me, he has to have a good combination of rauchiness, creepiness and pure evil, with moments of good comedy. He is a funny part due to the fact that for much of the show he's a larger than life caricature. He's a complete narcissist, and that can be funny. Yet he is not a good guy, and gets carried away by his loathing of the beast to the point where he becomes somewhat of a homicidal crazy person...

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]