The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Anyone Can Whistle 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Anyone Can Whistle
So I LOVE the song "Anyone Can Whistle", but realized that I know very little about the actual musical. The Wikipedia page on it is pretty limited, so I turn here. Can someone tell me more about this show?

Also, which cast recording would be the best representation of the show?

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Post Re: Anyone Can Whistle
There are two cast recordings - the original Broadway and some benefit concert. I haven't listened to the benefit concert, though it does include a cut song.

As for more about, there's a much more detailed synopsis on MTI's page.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:31 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

hyperactress23 wrote:
So I LOVE the song "Anyone Can Whistle", but realized that I know very little about the actual musical. The Wikipedia page on it is pretty limited, so I turn here. Can someone tell me more about this show?

Also, which cast recording would be the best representation of the show?

I think it's very, very interesting. Clearly it was a flop, basically because Laurents and Sondheim were a little too clever for their own good. It is experimental in the wrong way, partly condescenting towards the audience, critizising and satirizing conformity. I love it.

The plot is rather weird, as is the music, which can be described as very Broadway-y show music used to poke fun at everything. The lyrics are sensational.

I have both recordings. Everyone ought to have Original Cast Recordings of all Sondheim shows, and this OBCR contains sparkling performance by Angela Lansbury. Lee Remick was a favourite actress (and friend) of Sondheim's, so I assume she must have been great. Unfortunately her singing is rather weak, as you also can hear on the Follies concert recording. It's worth hearing, though.

The concert recording of ACW is one of the clumsiest recorded concerts I have heard. It sounds very underrehearsed, is very messy with all the applause, and people often sing wrong lyrics and notes. But when I listen to it, I often get surprised that it is not as bad as I remember it. Madeline Kahn has a very fun voice, but she sounds to be wrong for Cora Hoover Hooper. Bernadette Peters is heart breaking as Fay Apple, but seems to make up her own tune for the title song.

The cut song There's Always a Woman is devilishly clever, a bitchy duel between Cora and Fay. It is recorded for the concert and for the studio recording Unsung Sondheim. The concert version is faster and eviler, but they flub some lyrics.

Basically you should go for the concert recording if you find it, because it is more difficult to come by. The obcr is perhaps a better representation of the show, but it is very cheap so you can always get it later. You won't lose anything by going for the obcr, though, the concert is a worse listening experience.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:25 pm

Hans wrote:
hyperactress23 wrote:
Basically you should go for the concert recording if you find it, because it is more difficult to come by. The obcr is perhaps a better representation of the show, but it is very cheap so you can always get it later. You won't lose anything by going for the obcr, though, the concert is a worse listening experience.

Both are $9.99 on iTunes.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

hyperactress23 wrote:

Why not both, then?

Well, the OBCR is obligatory, at any rate, if you must choose.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Hans wrote:
hyperactress23 wrote:

Why not both, then?

Well, the OBCR is obligatory, at any rate, if you must choose.

Because I only had enough credit for one. I got the OBC. Plan on listening tonight when I get home!

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We expect a full review ASAP!

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Apples2for10 wrote:
We expect a full review ASAP!

Hehe it's tech week, so don't expect it too soon. ;)

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]