The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Kid Appropriate version? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Musician
Post Kid Appropriate version?
The musical theater thing in my town is doing gypsy and originally only people 18 and over could do it. Now, they supposedly found a kid-appropriate version. Is this possible? I never really looked in to this show so i really don't know a lot

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:24 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:46 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re: Kid Appropriate version?
keelycrazy wrote:
The musical theater thing in my town is doing gypsy and originally only people 18 and over could do it. Now, they supposedly found a kid-appropriate version. Is this possible? I never really looked in to this show so i really don't know a lot

I don't get this, how the hell can you do gypsy with no children in the cast.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:39 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
And considering the show's about strippers...I don't really know how that can be done in a kid-friendly fashion, lol!

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

A) There is no way you can do Gypsy without kids.

B) Considering all the shows that have been made into "School Editions" (Les Mis, Sweeney Todd, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ...) I would not be surprised if they did do one of Gypsy. I don't particularly think it should be, but that's my opinion.

C) That said, the thing about Gypsy that some people don't know is that the show isn't really "about strippers." It includes strippers, and that is the end result, but there is a lot of the musical that occurs before that element appears. Even when it does appear, I find that it is done tastefully. I know that is difficult to say when you are dealing with a strip club, but there is no nudity and the songs actually have far less innuendo that many of the shows running today. And Gypsy Rose Lee's style emphasized the "tease" instead of the "strip."

Bottom Line: You can't do it without kids, but it's probably not a good idea to do a school version. I say this because high school age students (speaking for myself, as I am one) would have a very difficult time portraying the emotional complexity of Rose or, for that matter Louise. Also, it would be a tendency to make the strippers raunchy instead of women just trying to make a living and doing it the way that they know how. They consider themselves artists, not whores. It's very difficult for young people to tap into that. That's my view on it.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:44 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
One of the biggest plot points in Gypsy is how Louise becomes a stripper. A "kid-friendly" version of Gypsy just can't happen--it's like doing Sweeney Todd, but cutting out the murder, revenge, and cannibalism.

That comparison may be a bit extreme, but it's the same basic deal.
(By the way, Dona Quixote, I LOVE your username!)

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:59 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dona Quixote wrote:
C) That said, the thing about Gypsy that some people don't know is that the show isn't really "about strippers." It includes strippers, and that is the end result, but there is a lot of the musical that occurs before that element appears. Even when it does appear, I find that it is done tastefully. I know that is difficult to say when you are dealing with a strip club, but there is no nudity and the songs actually have far less innuendo that many of the shows running today. And Gypsy Rose Lee's style emphasized the "tease" instead of the "strip."

Agreed, it really isn't that inappropriate.

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:35 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Billy Bigelow
Main Role: Director
Exactly. I don't think Gypsy would be quite the community theatre staple it is if it were really all THAT inappropriate.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:31 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I also agree that it's good, but really for adults.
It's the story about how Gypsy Rose Lee's overbearing stage mother drove her to become a stripper. It's not terribly risque, but it's not exactly appropriate for children. As to what age, it depends on your child.would say a 15 year old would not have a problem with the content. Again, it's not that risque, by today's standards. But it would not be for younger kids. At 15 I'm sure you won't have a problem with it.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
Dona Quixote wrote:
B) Considering all the shows that have been made into "School Editions" (Les Mis, Sweeney Todd, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels ...) I would not be surprised if they did do one of Gypsy. I don't particularly think it should be, but that's my opinion.

There is only one licensed script of Gypsy, and that is the full one offered by Tams-Witmark.

Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

It’s just an example of societal changes, what was once deemed unacceptable is now accepted.

Wed May 08, 2013 5:03 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't think it is possible. I guess you have to wait for some more time to be eligible to attend the show and to be patient. That is best solution. In some places musical theaters are open for everyone. I am not sure about your place theater.

Thanks
Stay healthy
super beta prostate news

Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]