The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
what other Disney films should be on stage ? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: The Little Mermaid, Llegally Blonde
Main Role: Fan
Post what other Disney films should be on stage ?
hello, I am new to this site seems great I was just wondering what other disney films would make good stage shows. we already have the Lion King , Beauty and the beast and I think the Little Mermaid which I want to see so much. Be interesting to see what you think.

thanks xxxxxx

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:39 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: what other Disney films should be on stage ?
There's also Tarzan, Hunchback of Notre-Dame (which had a very healthy run in Germany, but is not destined for North American stages any time in the future), Aladdin, and Newsies. They funded a Peter Pan inspired show called Peter and the Starcatchers. They're developing Snow White for the stage as well, and considering the huge amount of music that ended up on the cutting-room floor for that project, I'm super-excited. Disney Theatricals is kinda awesome like that.

Personally, I think Mulan should be on stage, simply because then the creators would be obligated to expand the measly score. I would hope there would also be the opportunity to make major changes to the book and make it the sweeping war epic musical it should have been.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: The Little Mermaid, Llegally Blonde
I would just love to see peter pan as a proper Musical be amazing I would love to see Bed knobs and Broomsticks or Robin Hood.

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:28 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Edges
Hercules is begging to be adapted to the stage. I've always thought that, while it would be expensive, Fantasia could be done on stage beautifully.

Past: Lola in Damn Yankees, Berthe in Pippin
Currently: Miss Skillon in See How They Run
Upcoming: Entering college as a theatre major

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:11 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
My only wish is for them to move their asses and re-translate and re-mount Der Glockneer von Notre Dame over here. I know they're all nervous about the plot revisions that took the show to even darker place than the film went, and they still have to decide whter or not they want to keep the new ending or not, but damn if it isn't, IMO, Disney's best screen-to-stage effort.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:12 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I absolutely adore what they did with the material they had. As a person who openly admits to despising the film, I still have to agree with you, Angela. Glockner is one of their better efforts by far. That they were gutsy enough to find what didn't work in the movie and change it to something more fitting to Hugo's vision for the stage production says a lot about how Disney doesn't condescend to its audience, given the chance.

And yet there's talk about making a potential Broadway Hunchback lighter and softer, ie. more like the movie if it ever happens, which I think is a horrible underestimation of North American audiences.

The generation that would have remembered or liked the movie has grown up by now (university age in my case) and is likely a tad more critical of the film compared to the original author's intent. Kids today that will just be introduced to the original material are probably more exposed to darker and stiffer stuff than a dead Esmeralda. Adults taking their kids to see a stage Hunchback will probably be grateful for the grown-up elements, and the thought put in to Quasimodo's psychology. They are paying upwards to 200$ for these tickets- it seems like a waste of money if they don't like the show.

When I watch Hercules, I don't see any inherently theatrical elements, Daughter of Air. It could just be because I don't think it's very good, but I think Hercules is probably best left to film.

I always imagined Fantasia would be a great spectacle on ice...

It seems odd to me that there are no plans for a Nightmare Before Christmas stage show. The movie's constant rereleases and subsequent popularity, along with Tim Burton, Danny Elfman, and Henry Selick's popularity among the disposable income crowd, could make this a long-run cash-cow. With style.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:58 am
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Yup,we are of (almost) two minds on Der Glockner. I did read in early interviews with Schwartz that they actually wanted to keep James Lapine's script for the show, and that guy who wrote for Light On the Piazza was brought on to polish the liberetto, which you said was a good sign. Is that not still the case? It'd be a pity if they chickened out of that. IMO They ought to feel comfortable enough having Aladdin and all that other more-kid friendly stuff on the way to mount Der Glockner without worrying about losing money over it being too scary...

Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:26 am

Main Role: Other...
Thejazzy wrote:
I would just love to see peter pan as a proper Musical be amazing I would love to see Bed knobs and Broomsticks or Robin Hood.

Isn't there a Peter Pan the musical already?

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think there are several Peter Pan musicals, and the aforementioned Peter and the Starcatchers project, but I don't think there's a stage show of the musical, which is probably what that poster had in mind.

In 2010, Alan Menken said he was working on an American production, though in what capacity I haven't the wisest, and said that they were still using Lapine's book. Apart from that interview, and the excitement on the interwebs that came after it, I think we'd be hardpressed to find anything material regarding an English or North American production.

EDIT: I reread the article, and Menken also says that the Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz musical, which is 'up in Canada', is also coming in, so maybe we ought to take what he says regarding dead certs on Broadway with a grain of salt.

EDIT 2: For those who are interested in shows about Peter Pan,the Weinstein Company is pushing ahead with their Finding Neverland musical.

Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:46 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: It's my prayer to be human again.
I would adore seeing Anastasia on stage..

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The German Hunchback, with a book by James Lapine, restored Quasimodo to being mentally retarded. Though this brought it closer to the source material, it destroyed the central duality of his character, which was that he was only perceived as a monster because of his appearance, when underneath he was a brilliant, sensitive and intelligent artist. Making him mentally challenged and barely able to communicated meant that, to most people of his time, he WOULD have been considered a monster- they simply didn't know better.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:32 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
AddieBee wrote:
I would adore seeing Anastasia on stage..

Ugh....Anastasia is NOT DISNEY!!!! It's just an expensive Disney knock off! I hate it when people do say its Disney.

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next