Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
All Male Company Cast 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: A John Doyle version of Floyd Collins
Main Role: Fan
Post All Male Company Cast
I've always thought that this was an interesting idea. I'm not really an outspoken advocate of gay marriage, but I feel that a performance of this show with an all male cast could really drum up the media, not that this topic needs drumming up but whatever. Or, just one gay couple if the entire cast would be overkill. Hell, it even fits the character of Peter with that awkward gay scene that was added.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:34 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: All Male Company Cast
If you're gonna make a change to a show like that, you have to ask "why?" I don't really see a point to it. What would it add? It certainly wouldn't make sense as a piece set in the 1970s, when gay marriage didn't really exist in the United States it'd make a lyric in "You Could Drive a Person Crazy" confusing, it'd make the scene with Peter confusingly redundant, etc. It throws too many wrenches into the script, not to mention the changes in the voices that would interfere with some of the songs.

I mean, if your only reason is that it'd drum up controversy, well... I don't think that's good enough.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

It's a concept musical, the fact that it takes place in the 70's is unimportant, and isn't even addressed.

Also, I said that an ALL male cast may be overdoing it, but a gay couple in Peter and Jenny's place would be a minor change that would reflect modern times. Well, say minor... anyhow, as far as problems with the songs, admittedly several of the songs would be out of whack as far as male vs female voices. However, this could be remedied by adding a female couple, and both could sing in songs like Poor Baby.

The point of the show is Bobby exploring the different aspects of marriage. This addition would give a more modern feel to the show as well as show another side of marriage not explored in the original. Who knows? Maybe Sondheim would write 'em a song.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Or maybe Sondheim would make this revision to the show if he felt it appropriate! Obviously, he hasn't. There was a revival of the show as recently as 2006.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:11 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

ActingDude17 wrote:
Or maybe Sondheim would make this revision to the show if he felt it appropriate! Obviously, he hasn't. There was a revival of the show as recently as 2006.

Because obviously every innovation and new idea has already been thought of, and we should just leave everything alone, right?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:37 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
^ Thank. You.

Speaking of "that awkward gay scene that was added," I've always felt that this was Sondheim and Furth deliberately thumbing their nose at everyone's "Bobby was gay" theory, saying, "NO! NO! F*CK YOU! HE'S NOT GAY, 'CAUSE WE SAID SO! :P" In all reality, even back in the 1970s, marriage was not highly valued. Bear in mind, this show was then set during the dawn of the Sexual Revolution, a time that cast aside traditional sexual restraints and began a decade or more of alternative eroticism, experimentation, and promiscuity. Fear of commitment after turning 30 would have been almost as out of place then as it is now.

To me, it doesn't defeat the purpose of the show for Bobby to be gay, as much as the authors argue such is the case. If anything, his being gay and sleeping with women adds more depth to his issues with commitment, and the show itself doesn't have to be about those bigger issues for them to factor in.

Arthur Laurents certainly agreed with me. He was one of the most vociferous "Bobby is gay" theorists, and in 1973 wrote a play called The Enclave (for which Sondheim ironically wrote the incidental music) that basically told the same story, but made the Bobby character gay. I can't speak to quality, but I can say I think it's more true to itself.

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:28 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]