The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: High School Audition Guide
There are many high school movies; my favorites are13 Going on 30, 10 Things I Hate about You and many more. These movies really make me happy and heart touching too. I really like these kinds of movies.

high school movies

Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
Hi Everyone! I thought I'd give you my thoughts on auditioning for a show at school that you knew they were planning....

I had been informed last year we'd be doing Oliver!. As I was in my final year and (without wanting to sound big-headed) I was the best singer in the school, I thought "Hey, I'll learn all of Nancy's part over the summer and try and get it"

I knew I did the best audition. I did a really strong Cockney accent, which I'd been practising, and knew I could do (from My Fair Lady) and the Director said to me " can you do a posh accent?". I read the audition sides in a calm and gentile (Sp?!?!?!) voice in a nice tone, thinking 'WHy is she asking me to do this???"

Anyway, everyone watched everyone else's auditions, and I know i did the best cockney accent of all the girls.

Then we did the singing auditions.... it was "where is love", which prbably wasn't the best for showcasing my belt which would have been perfect for Nancy.... it went well anyway.... but we sang in groups, which I didn't feel helped my case....

Then came the agonising week-long wait to find out if i'd got (one of my many) dream roles!

Someone texted me that i got Widow Corney - i was pretty pleased, until I heard the girl who got Nancy A) couldn't do a cockney accent and B) said she didn't want a singing part :-k

Along came the rehearsals..... or lack of.... it was seriously un-organised, I almost left.... almost.

Anyway, the original director pulled out, and we had this new director who moved the show back a month (thank goodness!)

For a few weeks, the show continued to be awful..... Oliver still couldn't sing....Nancy was continuing to be outsung by Bet...

If you've been bothered to read all that.... WOW.... if not, it's almost the end - i promise :)

The week before the show, they were rehearsing "who will buy" and they needed a strawberry seller to fill-in.... that was me.... but when the original girl came back, she'd been told someone else was doing her bit :wtf:
So I basically had a week of intense listening to the song to try and get the timing and pitches of "Ripe... strawberries ripe!" right before the performances.....

The show was actually really fun, but it was just sooooooooo political.

I hope Uni shows are better organised/cast/directed, so people could at least get the chance at playing roles they deserve... not just who is the Director's best friend/who they feel bad for.....

Would I do another school show? Maybe.... if the director was good....
Would I do Oliver again? Well.... it was the second time I'd done it, so I really wanted a better part

On the bright side, I did get a better cheer in the walkdown than Nancy did.... and better feedback on the performances.... \:D/

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:27 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Just to offer some perspective...

Chorus in Freshman year
Cameo speaking role in Junior year
Lead in Senior year

And I had a blast every time!

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:36 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Phantom of the Opera <3
Rejection - A huge part of high school musicals.

I'm fifteen and have two and a half years left at high school, not sure what that makes me in american schooling terms haha. My school just completed a production of Jesus Christ Superstar and after reading your post I felt very pleased with how I had handled my audition and the lead up to it. I was super prepared, knew my stuff, the show, the music and characters backwards and in my opinion sang the best I ever had for those pieces. I knew I was one of the better singers in the school. Along with pretty much every other girl in my school I auditioned for Mary and was very confident afterwards that I had done the best I could. That night when callback lists came out, I didn't have a callback for mary, but for a soul girl. I knew this was still a god part, but I was devastated, knowing I had done my very best for Mary and it still wasn't good enough. It was so hard seeing girls names on the list for mary whom I thought were not as strong singers as myself. The hardest was everyone telling me, "wow thats so good you got a callback for a soul girl!" when all I wanted was Mary. In the end I got cast as an apostle and was once again upset as after callbacks I was so hoping to make a soul girl. In the end they wanted me to try Simon which was still uncast, but then they chose one of the soul girls to be simon and I got put as a soul girl. My point: REJECTION SUCKS. There is nothing you can do about it, you have to move on and work your hardest at the task at hand. You never know half the thoughts going through the directors mind, it could be you are too tall, blonde, asian, too young, don't look good alongside other leads, countless other things! And when you know these things, it doesn't make it any easier. Seeing as its school and you know everyone and the competition, that also makes it hard. But really you just have to give it your best shot, and even then you are sometimes not what they want. Watching Maryfor the rest of the production was hard, and hearing her sing "I don't know how to love him" always hurt. I dealt with it, I was gracious and now hopefully I can move on and be more successful next time. It still was an amazing musical :)

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:26 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Obsessed with Sondheim. Always Sondheim.
I know I'm a bit late but AMEN to the original post. I hate cocky younger students.

The younger ones would obviously be more likely to be the 'younger' parts of the production - ie. the Jacks and Little Reds of the show. But then again, it's always unpredictable. At my high school, I was cast as Mary Phagan in Parade (the 13-year-old) as a senior, while Frankie, who is supposed to be dashing and 17, was played by a freshman, who also happened to be less than five-foot tall. And it really worked...... Anything can happen.

Previously: Mary Phagan in Parade, Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream, Little Red in Into the Woods, Annie in Annie

Hopefully: Fantine in Les Mis, Rose in Gypsy, Olive in Spelling Bee..

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:41 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re:
iliketosing wrote:
My school used to have a really messed up system. Half the time the old director would cast without having auditions. My eighth grade year he gave the role of Horton from Seussical to his son (who was a freshman at the time) who absolutely had no knack for singing. It was pitiful, but their JoJo saved the show...he was phenomenal. The only good thing that came out of not having auditions was discovering that little boy.

Oh god! I'm in Seussical right now, as Yertle, and my former (middle school) music teacher, who is the music director for both the HS and Middle school musicals (me being in the first), said that if I was a junior (I'm a Sophomore), I most likely would have landed either Horton or the Cat. How was your production?

The kids who got most of the parts are favorites of the drama teacher/director. Quite literally, I'm only 1/3 sophomores in the production who's considered a "lead" (or, in my school's definition, ANYONE with A LINE! :shock: ). Mind you, last year, had I not been a freshman, I would have got Bigley in How To Succeed. I not only held the note (at the end of "heart of gold") for over 5 measures, but got a callback. One of my fellow auctioneers (a Sr. now, Jr then) kissed me afterword though, so it was worth it! Then they gave the part to the guy who, coincidentally, got the part of Horton this year! and he can't sing!

And, high schoolers, be prepared for A TON of waiting if you aren't the lead. I waited 1 month, 3 weeks, 3 hours, 52 mins to even sing my song (#28: The People Versus Horton The Elephant) ONCE. and that's after they went over EVERY song, before and after! Now they told me today that they won't get to choreographing it until at least Nov. 14! (our show's on the 30th/1st!)

Arg.

TLDR: Seussical. Fun. auditions are breeding ground for favoritism. Director doesn't like that I'm not a Jr/Sr. Everyone else loves me. Gril kissed me after i sang in audition. great! Learn to wait!

comped

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:01 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Today we received the cast list for my schools musical, and I did not get the part I wanted, rather I was cast in a one line roll with a bunch of 13-15 year olds (I am quite older than them). The girl who did get the part I wanted though was at the same callback as I was and was unprepared, did not know the song and then proceeded to burst out in tears and scream that it 'took her a really long time to learn songs' and that she 'could not read music'. For the last musical the school ran, she quit during rehearsals. She does not take my schools theatre class or participate in a single extra curricular school music activity. My musical director had been telling staff at the school for weeks that my audition was one of the best, and even told my music class about how good she thought it was even in front of other people who auditioned. I'm so confused as to what happened, until a friend mentioned it was probably cast out of sympathy. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:56 am

Main Role: Other...
I've never heard of that, but that's ridiculous. I'm sorry.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
So my school's doing Seussical this year and I'm going for the Cat in the Hat. For the audition we have to choose a monologue from the sheet you get from our head of drama, and do a verse and chorus from a song of our choice. For the Cat there's a choice between two monologues. The 'I can see you've got quite a mind for your age' opening and the 'An unusual story will soon be unfurled' bit stuck together, or the bit where he plays an auctioneer. One shows the narrator side of the Cat, the other shows the comedic side of the Cat

For the song I was either going to do the opening of Oh The Thinks You Can Think, or How Lucky You Are. I know Oh The Thinks You Can Think inside out and I know all the movements and actions I'm going to do in that since I've known about the possibility of Seussical being the production this year since summer. But I only recently listened to How Lucky You Are.
Oh The Thinks You Can Think shows the Cat in the Hat in general, but How Lucky You Are shows the comedic side of him.

I'm trying to decide whether to do 'I can see you've got quite a mind for your age' and How Lucky You Are, or the auctioneer monologue and Oh The Thinks You Can Think. There's a lot of people going for this part, so I really need the edge to get my dream role. I'm confident I have it right though (I think the cat needs to be: fun; mischievious; a bit like a child; comedic; able to draw focus to the story rather steal the attention away from it; able to play multiple characters; and good at improvising)

So yeah, which monologue and song should I do?

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:15 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

BenTheBaritone wrote:
So my school's doing Seussical this year and I'm going for the Cat in the Hat. For the audition we have to choose a monologue from the sheet you get from our head of drama, and do a verse and chorus from a song of our choice. For the Cat there's a choice between two monologues. The 'I can see you've got quite a mind for your age' opening and the 'An unusual story will soon be unfurled' bit stuck together, or the bit where he plays an auctioneer. One shows the narrator side of the Cat, the other shows the comedic side of the Cat

For the song I was either going to do the opening of Oh The Thinks You Can Think, or How Lucky You Are. I know Oh The Thinks You Can Think inside out and I know all the movements and actions I'm going to do in that since I've known about the possibility of Seussical being the production this year since summer. But I only recently listened to How Lucky You Are.
Oh The Thinks You Can Think shows the Cat in the Hat in general, but How Lucky You Are shows the comedic side of him.

I'm trying to decide whether to do 'I can see you've got quite a mind for your age' and How Lucky You Are, or the auctioneer monologue and Oh The Thinks You Can Think. There's a lot of people going for this part, so I really need the edge to get my dream role. I'm confident I have it right though (I think the cat needs to be: fun; mischievious; a bit like a child; comedic; able to draw focus to the story rather steal the attention away from it; able to play multiple characters; and good at improvising)

So yeah, which monologue and song should I do?

Do the first choice for a mono and "How Lucky You Are" for your song. There's a reason why. You just don't want them to see one side of the character, and how luck you are is really a better song with which to audition, especially if most people know the first song. Personally, I did three songs (we had to do one, but our director picked out a few of us who knew the show, and asked us to sing a few.) I choose "How lucky you are", "Alone in the Universe" and "amayzing Mayzie" (my favorite out of all of them :) ) The guy who ended up getting the cat started up going against my bro for the General, and lost it to a guy who spoke his songs. :shock: And our Mayzie, my GF, who ended up "filling in" for Gertrude? She wanted Gertrude all along. No surprise there.

TLDR: Do not be surprised if terrible peeps get better parts then you because they're older, even if they're less talented. (read: ageism) Do not be surprised if you don't get the part you wanted, or anything close. Do not be surprised if everything turns all right in the end :)

comped

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
comped wrote:

TLDR: Do not be surprised if terrible peeps get better parts then you because they're older, even if they're less talented. (read: ageism) Do not be surprised if you don't get the part you wanted, or anything close. Do not be surprised if everything turns all right in the end :)

comped

I'm 18 and in sixth form. I'm the british equivalent of a senior. I don't think I have to worry about that :P

Also when I auditioned last year for Bill Sikes in Oliver, I sang a song not from the show, and due to mentioning I knew some of 'My Name' they asked me to sing that as well. So I might get away with singing two songs.

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:36 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

BenTheBaritone wrote:
comped wrote:

comped

I'm 18 and in sixth form. I'm the british equivalent of a senior. I don't think I have to worry about that :P

Also when I auditioned last year for Bill Sikes in Oliver, I sang a song not from the show, and due to mentioning I knew some of 'My Name' they asked me to sing that as well. So I might get away with singing two songs.

LOL.

I'd love to do something classic here. The best we got was birdie, and that was years ago when I was in middle school. arg.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next