Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Colleges and Sondheim 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Post Re: Colleges and Sondheim
chenderson_86 wrote:
Sunday in the Park with George is rarely done outside of professional productions for a couple of reasons. First, Sondheim tailored it to work for the two original stars - Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters. Patinkin is a high tenor and Peters is a low alto - to that combination makes the score difficult from the get-go.

The other issue with doing it is that you need an incredible set-design and costumes to pull it off - you essentially have to emulate one of the most famous and complex paintings in all of history, which is no small feat.

Thanks for that piece of information! :)

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:59 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

George is by no means a high tenor role. I'd say it's probably too low for a lot of tenors.

I agree on the point of staging.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:03 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
I'm currently rehearsing Merrily We Roll Along. We're not a college but we're a youth company. The age range of performers is from 13-18. I'm 17, on the higher end of the scale. But it's my opinion that there isn't any show that is too difficult for young performers to do. I recently performed in Parade by Jason Robert Brown. The difficulty of the music doesn't define the appropriate age range of the performers.

Les Miserables (Eponine)
Jesus Christ Superstar (Judas)

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My college did Company quite a few years back.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
the production of Sweeney Todd I just finished was at a localish Junior College. They do a summer musical annually (two years ago it was Urinetown and last year Oliver I believe) but moved Todd from the 250 to the 600 seat theatre for staging purposes. Good thing -- the smallest audience we had was around 250, and we had a couple at nearly double that (the last two, in fact... word of mouth was very, very good).

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
I saw the concert version of Follies last night at my community college and, WOW! I was blown away by how fabulous it was. Now, granted, it was with a primarily older adult cast (no one under 25, most 40+). Hearing that score with a 60-piece orchestra was such a treat. I was initially disappointed when I heard that it wasn't an actual full-on production but this was honestly better. The cast was in costume and there was lighting, but that was it. I didn't need a set and whatnot- I enjoyed just listening to the music and those talented singers. Plus, the nature of the show works well as a concert version anyway.

It's such an easy thing to put on- so if the college has the talent, it'd be a great option.
(Though I can definitely see where the show would lose its effect with a young cast)

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2