The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
The Original Gypsy Movie 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Fan
Post The Original Gypsy Movie
I saw the movie a few weeks ago (due to my new interest in the musical), and I didn't hate it. I know it hasn't gotten the best reviews by critics or the public, but....having nothing to compare it to (haven't seen the Broadway show before), it really seems okay for a movie musical. I've seen better though.

Would love to see the musical production to make comparisons between the two.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: South Pacific
Main Role: Director
Post Re: The Original Gypsy Movie
You should watch the TV Movie with Bette Midler. I liked it a lot better than the original movie.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Bette midler mades a terrible Rose. she peaks all to early and overacts the rest of the way.
the only thing better about the Midler version is staying closer to rge original script. all the performances in the original Roz Russell film are superior..especially Karl Malden's multi layered Herbie.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:53 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post The Original Gypsy Movie
Salome wrote:
Bette Midler made a terrible Rose. She peaks all to early and overacts the rest of the way. The only thing better about the Midler version is staying closer to the original script. All the performances in the original Roz Russell film are superior.

Nonsense. The 1960s film version is almost completely rotten and Rosalind Russell is rotten in it. The show is (obviously) much better and so is the TV movie, despite its shortcomings. Midler may peak too early in the TV movie, but Russell delivers a performance of an amazingly limited range and her take on the character has even less dynamic than you criticise Midler for having. At least Midler peaks somewhere; Russell's character barely has an arc at all and she's the same in the first scene as she is in the last and her - at best - mediocre Rose is a huge contributing factor to the overall weakness of the film itself. There is little depth in Russell's Rose: all she is doing is playing a more manic version of her Auntie Mame. She should never have been cast in the role: she can't act it and she can't sing it. Fin.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:34 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
We will have to disagree..I liked Russel's Roe..didn't love it..but it was much better thna the one note performance Midler gave..I really cannot stand watching her at all. Ideally..Judy Garland,Ann Miller or Susan Hayward would have been my choices for for Rose in the original film.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]