Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
On-Going Orch Tracks Project 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: On-Going Orch Tracks Project
A better mixed "Fantine's Arrest" with different string patches that aren't as expressive as the previous since this is my first time using them! But they sound neat. I've yet to fix speedracer tempo.

http://soundcloud.com/user5432415/fanti ... better-mix

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Latest "Fantine's Arrest."

http://soundcloud.com/user5432415/fanti ... ixed-synth

Listen if you're a detail-obsessed wacko like me.

If not, the most notable differences are no more ugly, thumping synth and an even better mix. Tempo is still of the speedracer variety, and I'm using yet another set of string patches.

Greater cohesion among the various orchestral elements and balance in this one. Though still needs work.

Also, don't know if anyone noticed but still needs full brass section, which becomes very prominent at the end.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:04 am

Just completed the violin subsection of the strings of the part unofficially known as "The Letter" from the top of act two.

It ends right before Valjean opens and reads the letter. Oh, and it ends very abruptly because silly me forgot to put some space at the end of the last sequence bar. :S

http://soundcloud.com/user5432415/the-letter-violins

Rest of the string section will be added next.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:52 am

"The Letter"--Nearly complete but read below for details on needed work on this track. Enjoy a preview...

http://soundcloud.com/user5432415/the-letter-first-mix

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS IS NOWHERE NEAR DONE YET, hehe. Sorry for the yelling, but this was rendered right out of the sequencer, which means the mixing is minimal and at this time very muddy. This is only to share my progress as a preview. It contains nearly the full orchestra and only bits and a few instruments need to be added.As always, this is a recreation of John Cameron's original orchestration, which was set as the show's official orchestration for the next 25 years in 1987. My work as heard here so far includes:
Strings--6 Violins; 2 Violas; 2 Cellos; 1 Double Bass.
Woodwinds--Piccolo; Oboe; Clarinet; Bassoon; English Horn.
Brass--2 French Horns; 2 Mute Trumpets; 2 Trombones.
Percussive--Acoustic Guitar; Glockenspiel
Keyboards--2 using the original DX-7 patches.
The tempo is all over the place at this time and needs major work. The guitar is only partially included for much of the beginning. Dynamics need to be tamed on the brass, most notably.
The acoustic guitar in the middle and latter part of the song has been intentionally amplified because it's so damn beautiful. I could listen to it all day.

Wed May 18, 2011 10:12 pm

A much slower "The Letter".

EDIT: Ugh. Never mind. It sounds horrid!!!!! The version above is miles better.

Sun May 29, 2011 9:07 am

Quique wrote:
Here is a 90% complete version of what I call "Aftermath," or as Orestes coined "Sad oboe solo [of dead barricade boys], hehe! Where is that chick, anyway? :-k

Link: *Poof*

Spent three days on this. Gah.

Enjoy!

EDIT: *Update*

Much, much, MUCH better-sounding strings. Not perfect, but definitely an improvement.

There are some very minor audible artifacts that need to be removed and the mixing on the high end is sort of blah. Not that I even attempt to render a pro level mix (there's a reason why all of the tracks I've posted are categorized under "Work in progress" and labelled "Preview," hehe), but I don't want anyone's ears to fall off due to horrendous mixing, and those strings were pretty horrible before, lol.

Upon closer listening, I'm not too happy with the brass. It's not awful, but the way it stops and its general texture leaves much to be desired. It should be contemplative/introspective, not annoying/grating.

And this one is really nit-picky, but the oboe bugs me a bit, as well. Sounds a tad too perfect, no life. Only at the sustained points is this lifelessness present but it stands out like nobody's business, to me, at least. And even if nobody really "notices" it consciously, it most likely is detected subconsciously and I am a great believer in the power that lies in the details. They can mean the difference between "good" and "great," "decent" and "turn that sh*t off!" LOL.

Eh, back to work.

"Aftermath" - *Poof*

EDIT #2: Aaack.

Had added a VST effect on my last session working on the track when it crashed and was forced to force-quit.

Yes, I did save. But that's the problem; I had forgotten I was trying out said VST plug-in effect (some cheapo stereo enhancement thingo I downloaded for free somewhere) before it crashed, and so I opened the session and rendered the track having forgotten about that. I uploaded and listened and noticed it sounded terribly hollow and as if everything was panned extreme left and right. Ewwww. :x

At any rate, chucked cheapo VST plug-in effect and re-rendered and fixed and re-uploaded and here it is, bye-bye.

"Aftermaaath" - http://snd.sc/kdS6or

Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:15 am

Another go at adapting my piano score of "I Saw Him Once," this time adding a bit of woodwinds at the start. The rest is strings only, but separating the distinct sections of violins, violas, cellos, and basses is itself quite a project!

The strings I've posted before but sounded synthy due to improper separation leading to what was a muddled mess. This is still sorta muddy but only cause some of the notes played by the strings should be played by other instruments. So that's my next goal--separating the various orchestral parts, which should include guitar; keyboard; clarinet; bassoon; flute?; maybe oboe or is it English horn???? I don't detect any brass. Do you? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

At any rate, listen: http://snd.sc/jBIzGv

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:46 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Don't intend to hijack this thread, but I just have to say something about the score. I love the pure orchestral moments such as the Final Battle aftermath and the Sewers. Each time I hear or see it played, wether on the TAC or QUAC it gives me goosebumps all over to hear and see the orchestra in full swing. I wish there were more moments like these. Hardly comparable, but what Howard Shore did with his LotR symphony tour should be done with Les Miz. Just that beautiful score plus some projections...

Now carry on! :)

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:08 pm

^ Agreed! I'd die of happiness.

I'm also an Alfred Hitchcock fan and practically grew up watching his films. I grew very attached to the score for Psycho and went nuts when they screened the film for its anniversary in a concert hall against a live symphony orchestra playing that incredible score. Problem was this took place in Australia! A bit too far from Los Angeles, ya think? So I missed out. Ajfgojbg;ouw;.

I agree that John Cameron's orchestration is good enough to warrant a purely orchestral concert tour of the show. It would not only make me die happy, but it would place focus on it and maybe then people will start to wake-up and appreciate the work he has done and come to realize just how important it is to the overall effect of the piece.

At any rate...here's an update to "I Saw Him Once" - http://snd.sc/pLi0at

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:26 pm

CURRENT PROJECT: "In My Life"

"In My Life" features one of my favorite pieces of orchestration from Les Miserables and thought it would be fun to "build" it progressively.

Here is the first of several files containing one additional instrument or section progressively each. We will start with the leading group of violins.

"In My Life" - First Violins: http://snd.sc/pb9sT3

Last edited by Quique on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:05 am

Second group of violins have been added. Love that harmony!

"In My Life" - 1st & 2nd Violins: http://snd.sc/owXJco

Violas are next. :thumbup:

Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:20 am

Violins and violas.

"In My Life" - Violins & Violas: http://snd.sc/ruCvli

Cellos and a couple of woodwinds next!

Quique's Orchestra: :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :mrgreen:

Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next