The Resource For Musicals

Les Miserables Forum

Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
Les Mis on youtube 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Les Mis on youtube
Thank you very much for your comment and encouragement.

Just managed to embed the clip here:

Mon May 09, 2011 1:56 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Wicked, Scarlet Pimpernel
Main Role: Performer
Wow. Y'all just made my day with that Blacklick High School clip. I almost died laughing. Just...wow. :lol:

Thu May 12, 2011 11:31 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Here's an audio recording of the original London cast singing One Day More

Sun May 15, 2011 12:11 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Les Mis medley from the Classic Brit Awards 2011 with most of the new cast.

Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

LIke the Classic Brits performance! Alfie Boe's acting has improved, but he needs to pull back a bit when he sings. When he sings the last few "One day more"s towards the end of the song when they're all singing together, he's so loud you can't hear anyone else!

Tue May 31, 2011 4:22 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Alfie Boe's acting was fine when I saw him in the show proper back in September in London. Don't know why so many people say he can't act. In fact, I thought he was far too eager in the prologue and needed to tone down the gestures and overly excitable facial expressions.

I actually thought he did a great job, but there was always one thing about him that bugged me and that wasn't clear to me until I saw the concert and realized his style is distinctly operatic. Probably too operatic that it seemed out of place. It's still not something that would ever cause me to say he isn't any good, cause he is and I thought he gave a very passionate, heart-felt performance. Same with Samantha Barks--she was very good on stage (although she struck me as being a bit too 'safe'), but pretty cardboard in every TV appearance since.

I wouldn't judge him by the concert or TV appearances. He pales in comparison, but we shouldn't judge a whole performance based on televised tidbits anyway.

EDIT: Just saw the posted performance above and Samantha is like I remember her in the show. There is still a stiffness that irks me but most Eponines are guilty of that. Instead of the tension, she needs to let loose. No more body-hugging. She's no longer holding back and living in lala land--Eponine is letting it all hang out...and it hurts. Boy, does it hurt.

The orchs--some of my favorite bits are still missing (funny how that happens, huh? ALL of my favorite bits of orchestrations had to be the ones that got axed. It's like a curse, or something).

But there's so much of John's influence and original orchestration, you'd think I'd be happier. I think it's sort worse cause it's all his but tainted with these bits that replaced my favorites. There's something very wrong with the removal of the timpani and cymbals @ "there's a way for us" in OMO, as well as the 'chaotic/demented' woodwinds @ "when the night is over." And a lot of people say the new string run @ "river's just a river" is beautiful. Of course it is. It's also really, really melancholy. It's too much woe-is-me, something the song didn't need. The original string run was amazing, and I personally got a real sense of complete and utter disappointment/feelings of being let down in the worst way possible in the way it rises, and rises, and builds, then suddenly and unexpectedly falls, plunges. You feel it in your gut. I love, love, love that it's then met with a hint of that harp (that was prominently featured during the first half when she's in lala land) that rises out of nowhere as if drowning and coming up for air, then disappears again.

Back to melancholy string run--there's already that weepy string at the beginning (@ "pretending he's beside me") where there used to be that discordant synth which gave it an appropriate sense of dreaminess with a sinister touch of utter insanity. The added timpani at the very last note ("known!") is too much, too late. She is spilling it at that point, not just realizing this for the first time. The use of timpani at that point is better used when something is building toward something...but there's nothing there to meet it. It seems they thought "Oooh, high note!" and put it there for that. But that's lame. You can click below to listen to my own backing track to the song as a supplement to my claims, which are obviously my interpretation, but it's an interpretation I didn't ever create or decide upon. It just came to me and IS the song as far as I'm concerned but subjective nonetheless.

"On My Own": http://snd.sc/keQecm

Notice how the orchestration for "Bring Him Home" is never changed? One of a handful of numbers that seem immune from orchestral dumbing-down...uh, I mean..."prettying up."

That must be amongst Cammack's fave bits of orchestration.

Tue May 31, 2011 5:08 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

"Behind the Barricade: Les Misérables in Singapore 1994"
Part 1/3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puqx59A4 ... er&list=UL

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:16 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Concise clips, yet with stage details and interviews never seen before. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:36 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Just now checked up on this thread and it's so nice to see that Singapore 3rd U.S. national tour documentary again. And in good quality!

I actually have it on tape somewhere but this was like the first time I've seen it because my copy is so incredibly bad quality, it isn't even worth watching, lol.

I saw most of the cast featured in this video in Pasadena, CA back in 1994. Pasadena's Civic Auditorium was the last U.S. venue the 3rd national tour would play before travelling to and premiering at Singapore's Kallang Theatre. The two members of that cast I did not see were Christy Baron as Fantine and Craig Schulman as Valjean, both of whom were in the Broadway company at the time. Valjean and Fantine in Pasadena were Donn Cook and Alice Ripley. I believe Donn Cook took over for Schulman on Broadway, but I'm not sure if Ripley took over for Baron.

I love this doc because it shows some rarely seen cast members in action--Gary Mauer (Enjolras); Schulman (Valjean--one of the best, most powerful performances that I've never seen. I became familiar with him via audios, which alone 'show' his incredible range and nuanced acting); Baron (Fantine); Jennifer Rae Beck (Eponine--a rare Eponine for the time in that she actually looked really young and did not play her as usually portrayed); Gina Ferrall (Mme. T.--quite possibly my fave ever); and David Massenheimer (Javert--BOOMING voice).

I know Barbra Russell was Cosette in Pasadena (she's Ron Sharpe's wife--a former Marius alongside Russell's Cosette and can be seen in this doc as one of the students) but I'm not sure if that's her in this video. It looks like her. I want to say that Marius here is played by Marsh Hansen, but I'm likely wrong. My Pasadena program lists Ron Sharpe as Marius but I don't recall seeing him go on in that role the two times I saw it there. I did see his Marius once, but that was at the Pantages in '92.

And of course, Thenardier here is J.P. Dougherty when he was in top form and didn't phone it in, lol. He really was fantastic in the role.

The production...I have so much love for it, I get all warm and fuzzy inside watching clips of it. Love how Schulman describes it. So, so, so thrillingly staged. I still can't believe they actually thought they could better or even equal the original "One Day More." If they should have left just one thing the way it was, it definitely should have been that one scene. Why? Why not? It's the most effective; there isn't a single alternate version to date that works better or is as thrilling.

Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:47 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but someone's uploaded 'Les Miserables: Stage by Stage', a really cool 1988 documentary on the making of the show and its various international productions.

Loks like it's in about six parts. Here's part 1, the other five are at YouTube:

Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Current Obsession: punctuation
Oh, that? You mean the CSR commercial cleverly disguised as a documentary?

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:27 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Yeah, but Enjolras is really rockin' that mullet! :)

I just loved how it showed all the different worldwide productions, only a few years after the original came out. I think it was the Hungarian one that had a completely different staging from the original and hundreds of people in the cast? I always thought that would've been a thrill to see. Just passing it along...

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next