The Resource For Musicals

Simply Sondheim Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Song Discussion: "How I Saved Roosevelt" 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Song Discussion: "How I Saved Roosevelt"
I was a little disapointed to see that "Roosevelt" has the lowest place in the "Assassins Song Elimination" thread. I think it's a much needed comic relief number and it has nice harmonies. Also, I think that the material sung by Zangarra is some of Sondheim's best showcasing for a tenor. Who else loves this song?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Thu May 19, 2011 7:15 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Song Discussion: "How I Saved Roosevelt"
Screw everyone! Musically, this is one of Sondheim's best songs in the show. The brilliant borrowing from Sousa's "El Capitan" and "Washington Post" for the bystanders and its seamless transition to the tarantella for Zangara ALL WHILE MAINTAINING A COMMON TIME SIGNATURE is downright incredible. It's a staggering achievement as far as I'm concerned. Plus, the bystanders' parts are so damn funny and Zangara's parts are so damn chilling. Honestly, it might be my favorite song in the score. Not necessarily the best, but favorite is a definite possibility.

Thu May 19, 2011 8:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I agree. I never take part in the song elimination threads because I don't see the point, but this song is really good.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri May 20, 2011 8:03 am

I'm not quite sure. When I think "I'd like to listen to a song from Assassins," that song never occurs to me, but when I'm actually listening to it, it's just as good as the rest of the score.

Also, how after the "I go down to Miami kill Roosevelt" line, Zangara shouts "No laugh!" at the audience - rather chilling. It's kinda lost on the recording though, because one isn't inclined to laugh at the recording.

Tue May 24, 2011 2:58 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Titanic, everything Sondheim
Personally, I agree that the song is genius, but if someone says to me "quick! Favourite song from Assassins!" I don't think "...Roosevelt" would ever come to mind, but that's mostly due to a context thing, if that makes any sense. I've only seen the show once one stage, and the staging of this number was brilliant, and the actors (especially Zangara) extremely affecting. Bu I think, for me, when you take away the visuals and are left with just the audio, it doesn't have the same impact. I, like Pannic, find it chilling when Zangara breaks the fourth wall to yell at the audience, but it doesn't have the impact without the audience. If that makes sense.

So even though, technically, there's no question that it's a brilliant piece of music, if you're not inclined to "bond" with a song due primarily to technical prowess, you might overlook this one.

Johanna - Sweeney Todd
Kate McGowan - Titanic: The Musical

Sun May 29, 2011 2:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The girlfriend and I are talking about producing Assassins next year, so it's been on our brains, and a couple days ago while driving somewhere, she pops on this song, and I literally said "I think this is my favorite song in the show."

It's either this or "Ballad of Czolgosz" ... the talk in the line ("Beef!") never fails to crack me up.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Current Obsession: "Company". Without a doubt.
Main Role: Director
I agree that it doesn't necessarily have the same ring as it does when performed in front of an audience, but I adore this song. Why? For the same reason I love "Something Just Broke".. we're spending so much time focusing on the crimes of the assassins. With these two songs, we get a look at how society was affected by them. I absolutely love, love, love this song (partly because Elliott's right and Sondheim's a genius), but also because it gives us a fresh perspective from the assassins... and to see how their actions directly impact the non-assassins is very chilling and is generally uncomfortable. If that makes any sense, haha.

Upcoming: Auditions The Velveteen Rabbit

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:52 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
I like Lauren's answer!

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Agreed. The ensemble is kind of really important to Assassins, so any material they have is definitely significant.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]