The Resource For Musicals

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Forum

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Vocal Ranges 

There is no optional high G in "Canaan Days" in the licensed score as provided to people staging the show by the R&H Library, nor is there a written riff for Joseph in "Poor, Poor Joseph."

The purpose of this thread is to clear up confusion created by the multiple versions of sheet music and individual performances by stating exactly what is written in the current, official score. PLEASE do not convolute it by adding what your production did, what is often done, or what you have in your own personal sheet music.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Joseph as Tenor
I know he's written as a baritone in the score, but I've met several people in theatres who insist that Joseph be a tenor, which I think is a response to Donny Osmond's performance and those embellishmens. I think also Lee Mead is a tenor and performed it in that way. I saw a production where an older looking man was cast as Joseph simply because he was a trained tenor.

Thoughts?

I hope this post isn't inappropriate, but I'm sure it will be deleted if it is.

Last edited by Vichysois on Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:00 am

That's certainly one way to do it. I really believe the score is perfect as it is, though. I feel like if you start adding those things in from the newer, ruined productions, it's a slippery slope until there is narry a sequin-free garment onstage and everyone wears a different funny hat for each song.

Sat May 02, 2009 12:11 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

The original published full score (1975 version) does indeed state that Reubin sings lead on all three songs, but a lot of productions chose to have "One more Angel" sung in harmony by all the brothers. That aside it is more common in modern productions to have a different brother sing the lead of each.

Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 am

but a lot of productions chose to have "One more Angel" sung in harmony by all the brothers.

That's what is written in the licensed score. It's the only way companies producing to show have permission to do it.

Sat May 16, 2009 1:10 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

mantarnia wrote:
but a lot of productions chose to have "One more Angel" sung in harmony by all the brothers.

That's what is written in the licensed score. It's the only way companies producing to show have permission to do it.

That must be the new licence then. It definitly isn't the original licenced version.

Fri May 22, 2009 1:30 am

It's in the version that R&H will send you if you order production rights. That is the only version there is to be discussion of in this thread. The point of the vocal ranges post is to dispell all the convolutions and confusions created by the various versions and tell people what is actually in the official, current, licensed version as written.

The 1975 score is very similar in many ways, but it is NOT the licensed version.

Sat May 23, 2009 6:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Then perhaps it should be more clear, because R&H is now licensing "Joseph" (the one you know and love), and "Joseph U.K." (as the one that has been a big success since the 1991 revival has been dubbed), separately, for schools and other stock/amateur companies to pick and choose.

Sun May 24, 2009 12:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

In any event, the score published in 1975 is even farther removed still from the "new" version.

Sun May 24, 2009 12:44 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Just a note; does the official licenced score include the "big ending" of Close Every Door where he goes up at the end. I have a score which presumably was based on the revent london revival which has a Top A for land..of..our..OWN

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:12 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Just a note; does the official licenced score include the "big ending" of Close Every Door where he goes up at the end. I have a score which presumably was based on the revent london revival which has a Top A for land..of..our..OWN

I am mid way through a season of Joseph - as Joseph - and we have the official licenced score, in which close every door ends with a high F#, not Top A.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:48 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Vocal Ranges
What is the highest note for the female soloist in "One More Angel In Heaven?"

Sun May 15, 2011 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next