The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
New GYPSY Movie with Barbra Streisand 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post New GYPSY Movie with Barbra Streisand
Michael Riedel is reporting rumours - doesn't he always? - that a new film version of Gypsy is in the pipeline:

In the New York Post, Michael Riedel wrote:
Streisand is deep in negotiations to direct, produce and star in a movie version of Gypsy. She recently cleared a big hurdle - 92-year-old Broadway legend Arthur Laurents, who wrote the book to the show....He was, I'm told, concerned that Streisand might be reluctant to embrace the brutality of the role.... A lovable, human Mama Rose would be a disaster.

"Barbra and I have had long talks on this very subject," Laurents acknowledged. "She had a mother who she always thought was Mama Rose. I don't want to get into the details, but the point is she knows. She's got it in her. She's going to be much more than people expect."

Thoughts?

Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:43 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: New GYPSY Movie with Barbra Streisand
I posted about this on FB but didn't express my personal opinion (as I am friends with Barbra's manager on FB and IRL...) but I think it's a TERRIBLE idea. I love Arthur, and I do trust him. But COME ON. Patti is being robbed once again. She IS Mama Rose and this movie belongs to her. And besides, Babs is WAY too old. She'll be 70 by the time the movie finishes filming. GIVE ME A BREAK.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:14 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I have never truly believed that Patti can be contained by screen, her rich and HIGHLY theatrical portrayal of Mama Rose would be at grave risk of becoming melodramatic and disengaging which is a shame. And the last thing needed is another half botched Gypsy film.

I'm with Jordan in respect to trusting Arthur L and Babs- if they didn't have a strong, clear vision for it they probably wouldn't do it. I'm hoping it goes ahead and Tom Hanks as Herbie is an interesting idea.

Quote:
The New York Times has gotten more information on the story, talking to both Arthur Laurents and to Stephen Sondheim who told them that Warner Brothers and Joel Silver are on board as producers, and that he'd (Laurents) suggested Tom Hanks for Herbie, an idea that he says Barbra Streisand loved.
from BWW

So pumped, so loving the idea as a last big hurrah for it.

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
Patti is not a big enough star imo..

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Jman383 wrote:
I posted about this on FB but didn't express my personal opinion (as I am friends with Barbra's manager on FB and IRL...) but I think it's a TERRIBLE idea. I love Arthur, and I do trust him. But COME ON. Patti is being robbed once again. She IS Mama Rose and this movie belongs to her. And besides, Babs is WAY too old. She'll be 70 by the time the movie finishes filming. GIVE ME A BREAK.

Patti LuPone is not marketable on film, and never has been. There have been many people who have played Rose in the past to great acclaim, and I'm sure future generations will bring us more. Patti may have given us a fabulous performance, but it will not be the last fabulous performance of Rose to ever come along. And regardless of anyone's opinion of Patti's performance, it must be acknowledged that she does not have box office appeal with anyone beyond theater queens. Without someone of Streisand's caliber, it's likely a remake would never have been fast-tracked this quickly, or at least so soon (yes, in screen terms, this is soon) after the Bette Midler TV remake, in the show's history.

If you love Arthur and trust him so much, why are you second-guessing him? If he thought Babs would ruin it, he would be all over the New York Post about it, like he wrote his books as a sweeping indictment of everybody he didn't agree with. Instead, he's talking about it in glowing terms. He's confident in Streisand, he's confident in her understanding of the role, he's even making casting suggestions that they're listening to. If Arthur is happy, then there is no reason to fear. When he starts pissing and moaning about the project, then you'll have every reason to complain about this sacrosanct Broadway institution being slaughtered on the altar of Hollywood.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:48 am
Profile ICQ YIM

So Arthur Laurents has now canned the idea of a new Gypsy film with Barbra Streisand as Rose, apparently because of a conversation he recently had with Stephen Sondheim:

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Laurents says the film version is not going to happen "for a really fascinating reason, much bigger than Gypsy." He recently spoke with the musical's lyricist, Stephen Sondheim, who asked Laurents why he wanted to allow the film project to happen. "He said, 'What is the point of it?' And I said, 'They have this terrible version with Rosalind Russell wearing those black and white shoes.' And then Sondheim told me something that he got from the British - and it's wonderful. He said, 'You want a record because the theater is ephemeral. But that's wrong. The theater's greatest essence is that it is ephemeral. You don't need a record. The fact that it's ephemeral means you can have different productions, different Roses on into infinity.'

"So I don't want it now. I don't want a definitive record. I want it to stay alive.

"I think [Streisand] is disappointed. She wanted very much to do it. That would have been a good exit for her career. Tom Hopper [The King's Speech] wanted to direct it. I think he's wonderful."

Look, I wasn't completely sold on the idea of Streisand as Rose, but I just found this little development in the saga annoying. On one hand, Sondheim's attitude is all very well and good, but at the same time I just find it a bit tired and even glib and pretentious - because I don't think that the only reason to have a new Gypsy on film is to have another Gypsy on record. Of course, if Laurents was able to think things through for himself he might see that: he's a good one for seeing and praising (or conversely, criticising) grand concepts without actually understanding where they lead or how they can spin themselves out into something truly great - and as usual, all of his rhetoric ends up being ridiculously patronising. Like Streisand actually needs him to provide "a good exit for her career". :roll:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:37 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/14 ... ill-Happen

"The new film deal reportedly gives Laurents and Sondheim approval over the film's screenwriter, director and choreographer, as well as who would play the key roles of Louise and Herbie."

In my opinion, it's a great news!

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:28 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Just discovered this musical, it's a shame that the movie won't be made. :(

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Brother Marvin Hinten, S. wrote:
Jman383 wrote:

Patti LuPone is not marketable on film, and never has been. There have been many people who have played Rose in the past to great acclaim, and I'm sure future generations will bring us more. Patti may have given us a fabulous performance, but it will not be the last fabulous performance of Rose to ever come along. And regardless of anyone's opinion of Patti's performance, it must be acknowledged that she does not have box office appeal with anyone beyond theater queens. Without someone of Streisand's caliber, it's likely a remake would never have been fast-tracked this quickly, or at least so soon (yes, in screen terms, this is soon) after the Bette Midler TV remake, in the show's history.

If you love Arthur and trust him so much, why are you second-guessing him? If he thought Babs would ruin it, he would be all over the New York Post about it, like he wrote his books as a sweeping indictment of everybody he didn't agree with. Instead, he's talking about it in glowing terms. He's confident in Streisand, he's confident in her understanding of the role, he's even making casting suggestions that they're listening to. If Arthur is happy, then there is no reason to fear. When he starts pissing and moaning about the project, then you'll have every reason to complain about this sacrosanct Broadway institution being slaughtered on the altar of Hollywood.

Let me just say THANK GOD they canceled the movie. God help us all if a 70 year-old Streisand was playing mother to anyone under the age of 35.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Look a couple posts ahead when you get a minute, darling. Arthur was just publicly grousing in an effort to get a studio to meet his demands for creative control. WB dropped it, Universal picked it up. The film is on. :)

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

They got it right the second time. There doesn't need to be a movie, especially with her in her supposed 30s for even part of it. It's going to be a hot mess. And even though Patti doesn't translate well to film, in your opinion, I think with this particular role, she'd nail it nonetheless. But that's just me.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:44 pm
Profile WWW

Patti LuPone has weighed in on the choice of Barbra Streisand as Rose:

Patti LuPone wrote:
Arthur Laurents told me the three actresses he had in mind for the role, and of the three, Streisand was the best choice. I think she's the best choice.... If Streisand gave herself over to the part... singing "Rose's Turn" is all about giving up control and discovering it every time. I think Streisand is very in control. She would be like, "I'm going to fart, and everyone's going to hear it!"

Ain't Patti classy?

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next