The Resource For Musicals

Other Current Broadway & West End Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Next to Normal 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I agree that there are bad lyrics in the show, but as the show is nearly sung through I don't see anything wrong with the ones you've listed - especially the second one as he's being colloquial. Same with the Heys.

The only one that really makes me cringe is the part of "Perfect for You" where Natalie ends with "you've got some nerve Henry..." etc. That's a rough spot.

The finale before the rewrites for Broadway used to be a huge lyric disaster, but I quite like it as it stands now.

Thu May 20, 2010 10:55 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: N2N, Hair,
Main Role: Performer
I think Next to Normal is filled with bad lyrics.

"Gray and drizzly morn.."
"We saw the painted desert, the Grand Canyon, and Aunt Rhonda."

All the lyrics in the numerous Hey's.

What's wrong with "We saw the painted desert, the Grand Canyon, and Aunt Rhonda?" They're stating family memories to help Diana regain her memory.

Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I agree that there are bad lyrics in the show, but as the show is nearly sung through I don't see anything wrong with the ones you've listed - especially the second one as he's being colloquial. Same with the Heys.

Maybe in some English speaking countries, referring to the morning as "morn" may be colloquial, but the show is not set in such a country. Same with "and it's cheese", "been on the scene" (when it refers to clubbing).

Disneyprincess, I realized what they were doing with that line, thanks, but while there's nothing specifically wrong with the sentence grammatically, I don't believe that any person with at least an entry-level college grasp of grammar would write that, because Aunt Rhonda is the odd one out. You have two places and a person. It just doesn't flow. Aunt Rhonda is what the lyricist inserted after he couldn't think of anything else.

Wed May 26, 2010 2:49 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: N2N, Hair,

Mon May 31, 2010 9:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
I understand what "I am the One" is about, I just wish there would be more lyrics than just "You don't know who I am" or "I know you know who I am"

the words "I" "who" and "am" are used so many times it should be illegal.

I'm seeing it again tonight! WOOT!

Mon May 31, 2010 9:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Disneyprincess, I realized what they were doing with that line, thanks, but while there's nothing specifically wrong with the sentence grammatically, I don't believe that any person with at least an entry-level college grasp of grammar would write that, because Aunt Rhonda is the odd one out. You have two places and a person. It just doesn't flow. Aunt Rhonda is what the lyricist inserted after he couldn't think of anything else.

I noticed that as well and giggled a bit, but I viewed it as an insertion of minor comic relief. That, and they've been through tons already. Do you really think Dan's going to properly construct sentences when he's in such a desperate emotional state?

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But, vice versa - the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. --The Doctor

Mon May 31, 2010 10:10 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I just want to say that Alice Ripley gives a top notch performance every night in Next To Normal. It's going to be sad to see her go. But, I can't wait to see what her new project will be.

~Rachel at A Class Act NY

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:24 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

She's not really leaving the show, she's just leaving the broadway company to go on the national tour!

They haven't announced the full tour cast yet but it's going to be Alice and then I think Emma Hunton as Natalie.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re:
lovesinging wrote:
mastachen wrote:

I noticed that as well and giggled a bit, but I viewed it as an insertion of minor comic relief. That, and they've been through tons already. Do you really think Dan's going to properly construct sentences when he's in such a desperate emotional state?

Yes.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:21 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Next to Normal
I saw it last weekend at "Det Norske Teatret" in Oslo. I usually experience lyrics to be worse in translations, but the Norwegian lyrics were without doubt superior to the original English. I sat throughout the show thinking "please, stop, please, stop" which is rare. It wasn't because I think it is a bad show, because I think it is one of the best musicals of the 2000's, but so many aspects of the story are so awful, that I more often than not wanted it to stop.

A great experience, and I can't wait to perform "I'm Alive" in Norwegian!

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:06 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
Nice :).

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:30 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Director
Next to Normal hits Manila on March next year! Can't wait. =)

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:11 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next