The Resource For Musicals

Ragtime Forum

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Who has been in Ragtime and who were you? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

For those of you who have done Ragtime, you obviously know it is quite a controversial/meaty show. How was your show received by your community?

Well I was a Coalhouse Man/Juror/Striker in 2006 and we changed a lot of things in the script/music. Everybody LOVED it! They said it was so real and it was really well received! =D> :)

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:58 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I love this show and saw it from a very randomly placed box seat at the Ford Theatre on Broadway. It was fun mainly because I could see backstage left. That was 1999.

In 2005 I was able to audition. I so wanted to be Tateh, but was cast as Stanford White/Ensemble. Of course ole Stanny is killed in the opening number so I then became many other roles including an Immigrant, the man that tries to buy the girl from Tateh, a factory worker, a protester, etc. I recall being in 16 of the the 32 numbers.

This was a community production with a cast of 60. Some very talented people for the most part and an adequate amount of white/immigrant men and African-Americans to cast the leads and have a few left for ensemble.

There were definitely gasps in the audience but we didn't change any of the dialogue. However, standing ovations and nothing but praise for the show after. Even after three long hours of tense plot and heavy singing. I think we pulled it off pretty well.

recently seen as:

Herman in "Sweet Charity"
Governor in "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas"
Stanford White in "Ragtime"
Amos in "Chicago"

Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:45 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I was Evelyn Nesbit in a production in 2003.
I did a lot of research and read "Architect of Desire", found a bunch of Evelyn Nesbit's vintage postcards, the Time magazine that interviews Joan Collin's as she made her debut as Evelyn Nesbit for the movie "The Girl on the Red Velvet Swing", it also had an interview with an aged Evelyn Nesbit. I also found a guy in California who made a VHS video of the movie "The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing" (it was SOOO hard to find)! Originally, they had wanted Marilyn Monroe to play the part, she could not commit so this film was Joan Collins American debut. I also liked the PBS documentary "American Experience-Murder of the Century".

There is a lot more information about Evelyn now, and a new biography as well.

The show was extremely well recieved in our state and got great reviews! It was one of the best stage experiences I have been fortunate to be blessed with. We had a wonderfully nice and very talented cast! Image

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:59 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Kinky Boots
Main Role: Performer
i was evelyn nesbit when my high school did it this past fall.

it was probably one of the best experiences ive had doing a show.
i had never had more than an ensemble role before so fun to take a character already created and try to make it my own without bending too far.

im doing another show now and it still doesnt compare to how much i loved playing evelyn.
the killer costumes, the swing..gah i miss it. :(

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:26 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post RAGTIME Productions
broadwaybaby1310 wrote:
Really well! Because we are a high school and our community is fairly conservative, we cut out the n-word (except in one song) and replaced it with other words, like "colored", or "boy" (said really insultingly).... In front of our community, we didn't want the n-word to distract from the meaning of the show.

And yet, ironically, changing "the n-word" ultimately detracts from the meaning the show has the potential to create.

Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:55 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: NEXT TO NORMAL! Spring Awakening, Ragtime.
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Who has been in Ragtime and who were you?
Just got cast as Mother in a well-known teen community production. It's a dream come true, I'm so excited!!! Mother is a HUGE dream role of mine, it's incredible. I can't believe it. We don't start rehearsals for a month though. Haha.
Originally I auditioned with Evelyn in mind, reading a 300 page biography on her life and the original EL Doctrow novel.
Even though Mother is a dream role (don't get me wrong, Evelyn looks like a ton of fun too!), I didn't audition with her in mind, thinking I didn't have a chance at it (considering all the leads went to 17&18 year olds in our last production, I'm quite a good deal younger).
Well, I took a chance and now I'm living my dream!!! :D

Adelaide- Guys and Dolls
Fauna-Disney's Sleeping Beauty
Jester- Once Upon a Materess
Babette- Disney's Beauty and the Beast
Mrs. Paroo- Music Man

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3