The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
"Ladies Who Lunch" and Bobby 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "Ladies Who Lunch" and Bobby
I was discussing "Ladies Who Lunch" with a friend the other day, and he was saying that the song leads to Bobby needing to change. I then said that I had always assumed that Joanne's proposition led to the change in Bobby, to which my friend replied that "Ladies" acted as a prelude of sorts to the proposition. I thought this was a very interesting take and wanted to see what you all thought of it. Does the song act as a prelude to Bobby's change, or something totally different?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
The song is Joanne's internal monolouge bobby doesnt hear it.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Also I think Bobby's revelation comes when Joanne propositions him...she says, "I'll take care of you," which makes him realize that he will have no one to care for. Even Joanne knows that he's had a revelation, as she tells Larry that she "just did someone a big favor."

Bobby then expresses the desire to have that special person in "Being Alive."

Tue May 18, 2010 4:52 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re:
Salome wrote:
The song is Joanne's internal monolouge bobby doesnt hear it.

This seems completely wrong. The whole show is about Bobby. If anything, some of the songs, like You Could Drive a Person Crazy are in _his_ head. As far as I'm concerned, he must hear it because, to him, it shows how drunk she really is.

As for the lyrics... I'm directing the show soon and I've been listening to it a lot trying to interpret it. Something interesting happens around "And here's to the girls who just watch"... it appears to change from being Joanne criticising herself to criticising Bobby. Bobby has been (or will be, I can't remember the exact order) criticised for 'watching'. It goes on to talk about depression (which Bobby himself admits he's been feeling) as well as a criticism of the tendency to make jests and drink a lot (Scotch in this case, which is Whiskey, just as Bourbon is which is referred to in the first scene, so it seems to refer to him again). The final verse seems to be a damning of people who zoom about all the time without stopping for life and that these people don't look forward to anything except dying.

I don't think I've over-analysed this. I'd welcome any thoughts about this.

--
Mike

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Post Re: "Ladies Who Lunch" and Bobby
You make a valid argument, but the song is definitely a condemning of Joanne herself. She regrets that she has made nothing of her life except for a lot of rich ex-husbands. Money didn't buy her happiness...it's empty.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:31 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Rodgers and Hammerstein/Hart, ALW, Jerry Herman
Main Role: Fan
I love the song but somehow it doesn't fit with the rest of the score. I can see it is Joanne's dissatisfaction with her life, but is has nothing to do with Bobby, he isn't even there - and the rest of Company is so much about his self-centredness and his internal monologues and issues. I wouldn't like to do without it though and I think Joanne is probably the strongest character in the show.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

louisecp72 wrote:
I love the song but somehow it doesn't fit with the rest of the score. I can see it is Joanne's dissatisfaction with her life, but is has nothing to do with Bobby, he isn't even there - and the rest of Company is so much about his self-centredness and his internal monologues and issues. I wouldn't like to do without it though and I think Joanne is probably the strongest character in the show.

Agreed on all points, particularly that it doesn't fit with the score. Musically, the show is soft rock and basic show tempos, but 'Ladies' is a bossa nova, which is the farthest from rock that you can get. Plus, the more times the show is revived, the more intense a rhythm the song takes on.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Um. How is Bobby not there? They are drinking together! As for it not fitting with the rest of the show... Side by Side is swing, Drive a Person is 40s style, theres a whole load of non rock ballads and I dont know what Barcelona is but it isnt rock or pop. I still say the song is partly about Bobby or at least contains a message for him.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:27 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Billy Bigelow
Main Role: Director
I think in some ways "Ladies Who Lunch" highlights the similarities between Joanne and Bobby. The "Here's to the girls who just watch" verse is definitely about Joanne's own self-revulsion, but I think Bobby hears it and starts to apply it to himself, setting the scene for Bobby's epiphany.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Good point, well made :-)
As an aside... Bobby's epiphany... in the style of Sweeney's epiphany. Oh, the fun to be had with THAT lyric. :-)

Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]