The Resource For Musicals

Oklahoma! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Your Favourite OKLAHOMA! Recording 

Which is your favourite OKLAHOMA! recording?
1943 Original Broadway Cast 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
1947 Original London Cast 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
1955 Soundtrack 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1979 Broadway Revival Recording 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
1980 London Revival Recording 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1998 Royal National Theatre Recording 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Your Favourite OKLAHOMA! Recording 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Your Favourite OKLAHOMA! Recording
There are many recordings of Oklahoma! - besides those listed above there are more than 20 studio recordings and a couple of cast recordings from places like Australia and Germany.

I must say that I think the 1943 Original Broadway Cast recording is indispensable in a musical theatre collection. It's a landmark recording with a super cast, led by Alfred Drake and Joan Roberts as Curly and Laurey. Although Drake in particular is perhaps rooted somewhat too much in the tradition of operetta from which Oklahoma! itself springs, their performances are thrilling. With a uniformly excellent supporting cast, every song is a treat: there is an energy that penetrates every moment of this recording that makes it immediately accessible and always enjoyable, even upon repeat listens. After that, I'd say you could supplement your collection with either the 1955 Soundtrack (which has the "Dream Ballet"), the 1980 Broadway Revival Recording (fantastic Will and Ado Annie) or the 1998 Royal National Theatre Recording (fantastic Laurey and Curly) and you’ll be all set to enjoy just about everything that this show has to offer. One to avoid, however, is the 1980 London Revival Recording, which is just poor technically and offers shaky, undistinguished performances.

Which is your favourite?

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Your Favourite OKLAHOMA! Recording
Well, my sentimental favourite is a studio recording that features Nelson Eddy; my dad used to play it all the time when I was little, along with the vinyl for Rose-Marie and the like. Like Alfred Drake, Eddy brings a maybe too stately representation of the songs, and I find the rest of the cast is somewhat domineered by his presence, but it was my first recording of Oklahoma and I've recently recorded it to my computer so it can make frequent appearances on my iPod.

After that, the 1998 National Theatre recording is my second-favourite. Part of it is how it sounds; it sounds more recent and it has more people who I know in it, which is somewhat reassuring for me when I'm listening to an older show. Plus, it has a decent Jud, which is essential.

The oddest one in my collection is the Takarazuka recording, just by default. :D

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:28 am
Profile WWW

There are many recordings to like...but my vote went to the 1979 Broadway revival. Christine Andreas and Laurence guitard are perfection...Bruce Adler is a delight as ALi, Mary Wickes is a stellar Aunt E, and Harry Groener and Christine Ebersole are hysterical as Will and Annie. Not to mention Martin Vidnovi'c chilling rendition of "Lonely Room".

the runner up would be the Trevor nunn production. Josefina Gabrielle is a revelation as Laurey and Hugh Jackman is charm personified as Curley. the orchestrations are vital and new. but the supporting cast in this production isnt as illustrious as the 1979 production.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Les Mis, The Secret Garden, Wicked, PotO
Main Role: Musician
I think that the 1998 is probably my favorite-both vocally and orchestration-wise; my school just started Oklahoma! rehearsals, and the '98 score is much better than the earlier versions (though I may be biased, being the piano). :)

Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:39 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i cant remember thae date but Howard keel will always be Oklahoma to me

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Howard Keel was Curley in the original LOndon production 9and its recording). I adore Howard Keel...the rest of the recording isnt brilliant however.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]