West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Would you bring your child? 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Would you bring your child?
I wasn't aware the revival wasn't set in the 1950s. That's definitely something new.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
ActingDude17 wrote:
I wasn't aware the revival wasn't set in the 1950s. That's definitely something new.
It's very modernized. Here's the link to the show's website: http://www.broadwaywestsidestory.com/ It's on tour currently and will go off Broadway January 2nd.

Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:16 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Wicked, Mamma Mia, Glee
I went to see West Side Story on Broadway with my sleepover camp, and the ages of the girls ranged form about 12-15. My two friends and I (who are majorly into musical theater) absolutely LOVED IT! But, a lot of the other girls were bored, which was a shame! There was some language and innuendo, so I would say take them if they're 12 or older, and into theater. But personally as an 8th grader, it was amazing!

Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
OK, nobody is a pickier mofo than me and I HATE, HATE, HATE when they modernize classics for the sake of modernizing them or for change where none was needed.

I just saw the West Side Story revival at the Pantages Theatre in L.A.

There is absolutely NOTHING "modernized" about it! It is the same, classic version everybody knows and loves. The choreography is the original Jerome Robbins choreography ("America" is now performed using the original choreography and not the slightly toned down steps done for Karen Olivo), none of the 50's slang has been removed, and the design elements remind those of us who have seen the very original designs (saw them beautifully recreated in a 1997 touring production) of earlier exposures to them.

Only complaint is the reduced orchestra and what sounded like use of a virtual orchestra. Even then, it was a bit jarring at first and it made some of the most thrilling musical moments come off like a whimper but it certainly wasn't bad; it is still played by real musicians with real instruments. The virtual sounds were used to beef it up.

I was a bit disappointed by Ali's Maria. Vocally, you couldn't ask for a better Maria. Acting-wise, she added a really strange inflection to the way she delivered her lines. And it wasn't the use of an accent, which is typical of all Marias and executed very well by Ali. It was the strange delivery. Very monotone, almost without much emotion. I "saw" what she was trying to achieve and it was a distinct style she was going for but it just didn't deliver in the end. Her Tony was OK but forgettable.

The supporting cast was amazing with Michelle's Anita being the most impressive in all areas. She received a much deserved burst of cheers as she took her bow.

I was 'forced' to sit in the 25th row of the cavernous Pantages. After I stamped my foot and had a tantrum, I settled into my seat and the view wasn't actually too bad. Still, never. again.

EDIT: A few more things. The classic orchestrations were only lightly adapted for the smaller orchestra but the overall arrangement adhered to the original composition and that iconic sound wasn't altered one bit.

I found the ending to be REALLY abrupt. I've seen this musical on stage several times before and it's always the ending that gets me. I barely had time to digest anything that was going on and so I left feeling cold.

The only real change I noticed was they "butched-up" the opening choreography. So instead of seeing hardened gang members prancing about like fairies, they look hot and bothered and as if they have to pee. XD Nah, seriously, the mild change is limited to the very fist steps. It's all the same after that.

Dance at the gym is THRILLING. I wish the brass sounded fuller and thunderous as it should during that iconic moment when the Sharks and their girls huddle and suddenly thrust forward with one hand in the air in a line. The moment was met with what sounded like a squawking solo trumpet.

In addition to the old geezers in front of us complaining about the Spanish, there were some rowdy hags behind us who'd comment on EVERYTHING as it happened. They were loud, rude, and generally douche bags. They kept laughing, poking fun, and shaking cups of ice (too bad it wasn't the death rattle). Thank God they waddled their way toward the exit door at intermission!

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Grease
I watched it in Chorus a few weeks ago. I, being one of the only serious actresses, thought it was good. Then again, that was about an hour into it when my chorus teacher finally shutted up with the random trivia (when she paused the movie and just told us some random fact) and just let us watch the movie. THen again, I am a serious actress so..... :-k

GREASE - Frenchy
MOON OVER BUFFALO- Understudy Roz, Ethel, Eileen / Assistant Stage Manager
HOW TO SUCEED IN BUISNESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING- Scrubwoman 1 / Sec 1

Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:07 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Devout fan of the film West Side Story
Main Role: Fan
ActingDude17 wrote:
If the revival isn't their first exposure to WSS, what do you recommend it should be?

What about the movie version of West Side Story? That might be a good start for kids' exposure to it, imho, if they're 13 or 14 and up.

Hope I've been of some help here.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2