The Resource For Musicals

Jesus Christ Superstar Forum

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Thoughts on Baritone as Jesus? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Writing a Batman musical
Main Role: Performer
I prefer the symphonic sound, too. I just think it sounds better, and has more emotion to it. Even when listening to the original versions, I still hear it going otherwise.

The rock stuff is powerful, to be sure (and cooler) but it's not AS powerful, in my opinion. I can do rock screaming, but not consistently well, and I'm not really even interested in doing rock screaming.

"Think about it this way: What happens when you yell? Pay attention to the register in which the sound comes out of you. It's probably higher than your normal speaking voice. Conversely, sing the lowest standard note for your voice type. Can you sing that note as loud as you can the highest standard note for your voice type? Can you yell the lowest note of your voice type? I doubt it."

Almost.

What if you can almost be as loud with the lower and highest notes of your voice as with your best standard note? Granted, they're different tones...

I don't like to use microphones, and sound techs don't like it when I use microphones.

I love singing Judas, though. Learned to bounce around to different notes on Judas's songs, which was probably a bad idea.

Past that...best techniques for taking care of one's voice in preparation for such an endeavour?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:12 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: Thoughts on Baritone as Jesus?
I think that if you're a baritone, you should set your sights on Peter or Pilate. Not Jesus, and certainly not Judas.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:45 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Cats, A Chorus line, Tarzan
Main Role: Performer
It might be my own high tenor-self speaking- but I in general like Jesus to have a high Tenor just because it suits the character better, and doesn't make Gethesame as heavy (If you listen to Michael Balls version, way too heavy for my taste)- also a high tenor voice makes him sound more youtfull and victim-like which is how I see the role :) But again it might be because I myself am a tenor and like the way I sing the part- but aint it very high for a Baritone? To sing it every night for a period of time would def hurt the persons voice

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think there is more wrong with Michael Ball's version than the heaviness. The fact that he is not a rock singer and can't do the high notes comes to mind.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
^ Thank you. To reiterate thoughts I had in this thread that got swept out in the forum switch, I must add that this is an interesting viewpoint:

The Guard wrote:
The rock stuff is powerful, to be sure (and cooler) but it's not AS powerful, in my opinion.

And by interesting I mean back-asswards. Listen to Ian Gillan from the original concept album in 1970:

And then listen to Steve Balsamo from Webber's official 1996 re-branding of the show:

The choice as to who's more powerful is obvious. The "symphonic" sound is a whiny little runt compared to Gillan. He's not even trying to act the part, and he cuts Balsamo up into little tiny Italian meatballs. Not as powerful my hairy white butt.

Last edited by Brother Marvin Hinten, S. on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:07 pm
Profile ICQ YIM

I just gave a listen to Balsamo's version. I do agree, I like rock instrumentation better. I'll take Balsamo over Neeley any day, though. Granted, I have a hard time finding a Jesus I wouldn't take over Neeley.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Which is a shame, because he got better with age. There was more depth in the portrayal, and a sort of grit and texture to the voice. The tour's over now, and that's good, because Ted surely doesn't have any of that anymore, good bad or indifferent, but he had his moment.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 am
Profile ICQ YIM

I saw the Farewell Tour. I did not enjoy it.

Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:17 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I heard baritone Anthony Warlow do a legit sung version of the song, and I loved it. Easily my top 3, and it's the complete opposite of the rock singers.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn7JseCC6Zs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I don't know if this guy terms himself a baritone or a tenor. He clearly has the vocal range to play Jesus but in terms of timbre, he's a baritone. His Gethsemane isn't a great interpretation but I can't find fault with his voice. He has clips of himself as Don Quixote and Emile DeBeque (!).

Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Timmerbo wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn7JseCC6Zs&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I don't know if this guy terms himself a baritone or a tenor. He clearly has the vocal range to play Jesus but in terms of timbre, he's a baritone. His Gethsemane isn't a great interpretation but I can't find fault with his voice. He has clips of himself as Don Quixote and Emile DeBeque (!).

My friends in a regional production of Phantom of the Opera with that guy right now. I also would consider him more of a robust Tenor than a baritone.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I was so perplexed by his voice that I sent him a YouTube message asking him what voice type he considered himself to be, and what he had trained as. His words:

"I consider myself kind of a freak of nature vocally. I sing as a straight baritone, making my way through my range as a baritone, or I start in a different placement and sing as a tenor. It may or may not be "correct" singing but I have been able to do it as long as I remember."

Hearing him as Jesus, sure, he sounds like a 'robust tenor'. Hearing him as Emile DeBeque or Don Quixote, he sounds like a low-lying baritone. I'm not a big fan of the show, but I would like to hear his Phantom.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next