The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
If you're auditioning for ________, don't sing ________ 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Auditioning for "Phantom of the Opera", shooting to be Phantom or Raoul. Should/should not sing?

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:30 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I am auditioning for a community theatre season (you audition for all the shows at once and each director decides rather or not to call you back), the shows are Hairspray, White Christmas, Seussical, Drowsy Chaperone, Nine, Cats, and Hello Dolly.

Which songs should I NOT sing? (besides the songs from the musicals)

btw, i am most interested in being casted in Hairspray, Seussical, Drowsy Chaperon, and White Christmas is that helps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
If you're audition for Les Mis don't sing anything from 2005 on.

had to learn that the hard way.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:16 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

If you're auditioning for GREASE , don't sing Hopelessly Devoted to You... thinking that will get you the part of Sandy...

It's not even in the play. Hah...

:D

Didn't I learn this lesson the hard way!

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:25 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

if you're auditioning for any show, don't sing a song from that show unless asked to.

if you're auditioning for into the woods, don't sing a song by sondheim (again, unless asked to).

Amen to both of those. In my opinion, there is nothing so presumptuous as the person that goes into a show with the principal's big number as their audition piece. If the directors wanted to hear that, they would have requested that.

If you're auditioning for anything, don't sing "Soliloquy" from Carousel. At 7.5 min, they'll cut you off before you can show what you're capable of.

If you're auditioning for Rodgers and Hammerstein, don't sing something from Hair, and vice versa.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:09 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I am auditioning for a community theatre season (you audition for all the shows at once and each director decides rather or not to call you back), the shows are Hairspray, White Christmas, Seussical, Drowsy Chaperone, Nine, Cats, and Hello Dolly.

Which songs should I NOT sing? (besides the songs from the musicals)

btw, i am most interested in being casted in Hairspray, Seussical, Drowsy Chaperon, and White Christmas is that helps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Based on that list, I might choose something by George and Ira Gershwin. Since White Christmas is Irving Berlin and Drowsy Chaperon is a parody of that sort of music, it's relevant stylistically. I happen to dislike Hairspray and don't know much about Seussical.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:17 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: If you're auditioning for ________, don't sing ________
Alright. If I'm auditioning for Chicago (community theatre), I shouldn't sing ?

I'm struggling to find a piece because I'm an operatic soprano who also belts, and if possible, I'd like something that has a belt but also shows that I have a legit soprano range. I'm hoping for Roxie, but would also be fine with Mary Sunshine.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Mary Sunshine is a male part!

I also find this thread rather strange, because whenever I've auditioned or heard about auditions for Professional Productions here in Norway, they have always asked for a specific song for basses to sing, a specific song for tenors, for altos, and for sopranos. They have also required you to sing one of the ensemble numbers in a group.

But maybe that's just the way we do it in Norway?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:03 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I know the role premiered as a counter-tenor, but the few times I've seen Chicago, Sunshine was a soprano.... maybe that's just because it's rare to find counter-tenors in midwestern America?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:49 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Isn't that a breach of contract? Mary Sunshine is supposed to be a man for a reason. Having her being played by a woman removes that reason.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:03 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re:
n4thanl wrote:
CYTthespian wrote:
if you're auditioning for any show, don't sing a song from that show unless asked to.

if you're auditioning for into the woods, don't sing a song by sondheim (again, unless asked to).

Agree heartily with the first. Strongly disagree with the second. Singing a song from another show by the same composer's never a bad idea. Now, that doesn't mean sing ANYTHING -- Sondheim's still difficult stuff in a lot of cases, so consider what you're asking the rehearsal accompanist to do sight unseen. But I recently auditioned for ITW with a piece from Anyone Can Whistle, and just sitting outside, I heard other successful auditioners in a very, very competitive field do things from Sweeney Todd and Sunday in the Park with George.

Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:31 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: The Secret Garden, Wicked, Finian's Rainbow
If you're auditioning for The Secret Garden, what should you NOT sing?
(What SHOULD you sing [for Mary]?)

Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next