The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next
The College Thread 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde
Ithaca College - Music Education/Vocal Performance
=]

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:15 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Can't read all of this, but my best friend is going to Wagner College as a MT major this fall. Hopefully I'll be going there next year (but as a Arts Administration theater concentration major)!

It's gorgeous. Everyone should check it out. Beautiful campus, a (free!) ferry ride away from NYC, gorgeous skyline views from all the dorms, small (less than 2,000) campus size, and the #2 theater department in teh country, so they say! <3

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:33 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Performer
Does anyone know anything about Towson University's theatre dept.? I know that their dance team is amazing (1st place @ NDA College Nationals since 1999) and that the head coach of the dance team is a Theatre Professor, but I don't really know anything about the program...Any help would be awesome! :D

Dance Team
Current:
Asst. Choreographer, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Jr., Dance Team
Past:
Dancer/Cheongsam Salesperson-Mulan Jr.
Arvide-Guys & Dolls Jr.
Marie Antoinette-Of Mice and Mozart
Marcia-Disco Knights

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:41 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Morethanjust16bars wrote:
Oh wow. I just read all 156 pages of this thread and though I'm overwhelmed, I feel like I've gained a lot.
Um hi. Kay, this is going to sound REALLY silly of me, since I'm a freshman. I'm thinking about college. But don't laugh, cause I'm Canadian. Even reading up a few posts, the only good theatre program we have in the Great White North is Sheridan's...but they don't even give you a degree for it. There's an off chance that they might introduce a BFA for MT by the time college auditions roll around for me (does anyone know who I would write to to hector universities about introducing a program?), but other than that...yeah, I think it would be best for me to go to the US. Obviously I would still apply and audition for Canadian schools (like Ryerson for their BFA Acting - my dad works at that uni so I have free tuition, a BIIIIIG plus I know) as well. The only thing is, if I go to the US, tuition is a LOT more expensive. For example, I know that Ryerson tuition is about $4,983 to $6,707/year. I did some research and found out that PSU's MT program (this is flat tuition only, not the cost of being in college) comes out to about $25,946/year. That's as much as my parents have saved for me AND my brother for all of our tuition. As an international student, it's going to be really hard for me to get financial aid, as most Canadian scholarships apply to Canadian unis. What should I do?

I would suggest looking at financial aid programs. Most US colleges and universities have SOME form of financial aid for everyone. I have a friend going to PSU (WE ARE! PENNS STATE!) (Sorry, I'm a big penn state fan so I had to...) and if you want, I can ask her some questions for you.

The thing is, as an international student, significantly less financial aid (if at all) will be offered to me. That's just the way it is.
But if you could look into it for me, that would be great :)

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:00 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
disneyprincess wrote:
Morethanjust16bars wrote:
Oh wow. I just read all 156 pages of this thread and though I'm overwhelmed, I feel like I've gained a lot.
Um hi. Kay, this is going to sound REALLY silly of me, since I'm a freshman. I'm thinking about college. But don't laugh, cause I'm Canadian. Even reading up a few posts, the only good theatre program we have in the Great White North is Sheridan's...but they don't even give you a degree for it. There's an off chance that they might introduce a BFA for MT by the time college auditions roll around for me (does anyone know who I would write to to hector universities about introducing a program?), but other than that...yeah, I think it would be best for me to go to the US. Obviously I would still apply and audition for Canadian schools (like Ryerson for their BFA Acting - my dad works at that uni so I have free tuition, a BIIIIIG plus I know) as well. The only thing is, if I go to the US, tuition is a LOT more expensive. For example, I know that Ryerson tuition is about $4,983 to $6,707/year. I did some research and found out that PSU's MT program (this is flat tuition only, not the cost of being in college) comes out to about $25,946/year. That's as much as my parents have saved for me AND my brother for all of our tuition. As an international student, it's going to be really hard for me to get financial aid, as most Canadian scholarships apply to Canadian unis. What should I do?

I would suggest looking at financial aid programs. Most US colleges and universities have SOME form of financial aid for everyone. I have a friend going to PSU (WE ARE! PENNS STATE!) (Sorry, I'm a big penn state fan so I had to...) and if you want, I can ask her some questions for you.

The thing is, as an international student, significantly less financial aid (if at all) will be offered to me. That's just the way it is.
But if you could look into it for me, that would be great :)

Yeah, that's so true about financial aid ... my Japanese friend was going to apply to NYU & CMU, until she found out they have NO financial aid available for internationals.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: I Love You Because, The Wild Party (Lippa)
Going to a local college SEMO as a Music Composition and MT major. It'll help me save money (I'm going for free, so...). I always have three songs prepared;

My main song, obviously
My contrasting song, if it's requested
A backup song, in case my main song is already performed in close proximity to my performance

This solves basically all of my auditioning problems. Though it means three times the work every semester preparing for the next audition :cry: .

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:16 pm

I don't think anyone stills reads this thread, on second thought, does anyone read anything we post nowadays? I'm posting this anyway.

I've compiled my first official list of schools I plan on auditioning & applying too. It will definitely change a little over the next few weeks (months?). My outline was very specific, so it narrowed my options a bunch. I don't know if that a good thing or not. Anyway, here it is:

Shorter College [GA]
Ball State University [IN]
Indiana University [IN]
Wright State University [OH]
Otterbein College [OH]
Youngstown State University [OH]
University of Oklahoma [OK]
Shenadoah Conservatory [VA]
Belmont University [TN]

If anyone has strong feelings on any of the schools of above or any schools with about five hours of Kentucky, I'd love to hear them.

I would pull a Duchess and say "Thanks in advance for your replies" but I doubt there will be any.

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Main Role: Other...
I don't think anyone stills reads this thread, on second thought, does anyone read anything we post nowadays? I'm posting this anyway.

I've compiled my first official list of schools I plan on auditioning & applying too. It will definitely change a little over the next few weeks (months?). My outline was very specific, so it narrowed my options a bunch. I don't know if that a good thing or not. Anyway, here it is:

Shorter College [GA]
Indiana University [IN]
Otterbein College [OH]
Belmont University [TN]

If anyone has strong feelings on any of the schools of above or any schools with about five hours of Kentucky, I'd love to hear them.

I would pull a Duchess and say "Thanks in advance for your replies" but I doubt there will be any.

Otterbein -- I'm sure you could ask Allie...Shenandoah, I have a friend who is a flute performance major there & I can ask if she knows any of the musical theatre majors ... Indiana, you have to be REALLY careful because they will do stupid things like "lose your audition time" and "application" and such ... at least in the music school ... Ball-state, I haven't heard much about musical theatre...

You're going for MT, right, Jack? And do the schools have to be five hours of Kentucky?

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I wish I could offer my expertise on those schools, but I don't have any information on them. I stuck to New York schools strictly. :(

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 am

Otterbein -- I'm sure you could ask Allie...Shenandoah, I have a friend who is a flute performance major there & I can ask if she knows any of the musical theatre majors ... Indiana, you have to be REALLY careful because they will do stupid things like "lose your audition time" and "application" and such ... at least in the music school ... Ball-state, I haven't heard much about musical theatre...

You're going for MT, right, Jack? And do the schools have to be five hours of Kentucky?

Thank you so much for all you're help, JA! Yes, I'm going for a BFA in MT. And while it's not absolutely a must that the school be 5 hours outside of Kentucky, I just want somewhere that's relatively close. There are only two schools in Kentucky that offer a BFA in MT and I'm not interested in either.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 am

Current Obsession: Shaw

Shorter College [GA]
Indiana University [IN]
Otterbein College [OH]
Belmont University [TN]

How about Elon University?

Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:54 pm
Profile WWW

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next