The Resource For Musicals

The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Musicals that are or aren't appropriate for high schools 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

When the high school produced Vagina monologues without "censoring," does that include the "rape is okay if it's woman on woman" scene, which is typically censored from the production since its taste has been repeatedly called into question, or just that they kept all the expletives and adult situations intact?

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

That scene was cut... but because of bad taste, like you said. Everything else was kept intact in terms of expletives and adult situations.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:52 pm

There is no such thing as material that "practically any administration would allow to be produced." Even Grease, which is one of the most commonly produced shows among schools, was rejected by my cousin's school because of the sexual themes. And as other people have mentioned in this thread, the same thing has happened with Oklahoma. On the other hand... the local public high school near my home does The Vagina Monologues every single year for "V-Day". Many school administrators would never even think of allowing their students to do such a show. It all depends on the school and how conservative the area is.

Call it the "vast majority," then. I don't need to split hairs here.

The Vagina Monologues? Now there's a show high schoolers don't have the life experience for.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Nevermind that, who wants to hear a teenager perform the "Reclaiming C*nt" monologue? I sure wouldn't

Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:33 am

Main Role: Other...
For the record, my high school overseas did "Gypsy", "Les Miserables" (before I came ...), "Blood Brothers" (I think that could be another debated show for high school), and other demanding shows ... and they all pulled through wonderfully. That's not saying we had flaws ... and they were perfect .... but we did it. Oh and the middle school did a smaller version of "Pirates of Penzance" and they just cut some of the vocal lines -- no alternation of pitch was done, I think.

It all depends on your talent ... which is shocking that they plan these shows, knowing the talent pool can change yearly/semesterly.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Nevermind that, who wants to hear a teenager perform the "Reclaiming C*nt" monologue? I sure wouldn't

But you miss one interesting point here, yes theyre teenagers that acting, but theyre still actors that act, nothing more, nothing less.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:18 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I was under the impression that upon performing the v monologues, there are a number of standard monologues to be included and the rest are chosen by the production team. Anyone know if this is true? Plus, were would the profits go- the school or another organisation?
Another key reason that I would not want to see them in a school would be the involvement of the boys, automatically excluding all male participation- ridiculous.

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:22 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

The profits went to a special hospital that treats victims of sexual violence in the Congo. Since thet V monologues are continually being updated, the show is different every year.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:33 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

The profits went to a special hospital that treats victims of sexual violence in the Congo. Since thet V monologues are continually being updated, the show is different every year.

Was it an all girls school?

Chicago, once saw a school production of this and although it was a creative arts high school- they don't seem to have any actors there. Sets and costumes blew me away, orchestra practically on par to any professional, cast were phenomenal dancers and good singers however during My own best friend, Funny Honey and Me and my Baby I shut my eyes because the acting was so melodramatic and "I need to act really mature and sophisticated" that it was farcical.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Quique wrote:

But you miss one interesting point here, yes theyre teenagers that acting, but theyre still actors that act, nothing more, nothing less.

I have no doubt there are teens out there who can do just as good a job as an older, experienced pro. But it's not about talent.

Drawing from personal experience, most aren't mature enough to handle such sensitive material. Maybe they are in your experience, I'm not speaking for everyone.

But, yeah, don't want to spend a performance cringing. So rather than being an ass and saying teens should NOT be allowed to perform that sort of material, I'll be content staying away from it.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:20 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Nope. Just a regular, co-ed public high school.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:48 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Quote:

Nope. Just a regular, co-ed public high school.

Besides the content, I'm shocked that the school admin or board or whoever has to approve the show would choose a show that automatically disqualified any males and for males in the audience is already that much less relatable and accessible.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next