The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
iPad... 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Garageband isn't bad but some of its features are cumbersome and greatly limited in what they can achieve.

Acid is like trying to fly an airplane--its control panel is a cluttered mess.

Cubase is OK, though suffers from some of the same problems.

For Mac, Logic Pro is the best solution. Not only does it include very complete music notation, it's clean, simple, and intuitive.

My favorite is FL Studio. Not only is it reasonable priced, it is simply the most powerful piece of software I have ever used. The audio pro community turns their noses up at it, but they can suck it, cause it performs everything the fancy apps can...and then some.

And it has the best midi editor ever.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think I might be the only American under sixty who still operates out of a little black address book in which I've written phone numbers and addresses in perfect cursive. Born to be old.

No.

And I don't even have a cell phone.

And as for this iPad thing...

A oversized iPhone that doesn't multi-task...Not so much innovation here as just existing form and function on a larger scale.

Now we patiently wait on the first true "mobile" computer, built into a bicycle: the iPed.

I will leave the iPud to your imagination. :wink:

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
Lol Apple certainly would have a bad track at picking names if they went from 'iPad' to 'iPed'.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm sure there are some people who use the iPad as an iPed already.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:02 am

Main Role: Other...
I saw a post for an 'ipad' sorta similar to maxipad. -sigh- stupid apple.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:40 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
That what came to mind but I thought it might be too much for the forum prudes.

I wish to wear an iPad. And it has wings too!

(You shouldn't have deleted the picture, Koza. Now my comment makes no sense. Not that my comments are meant to, anyway. :wink:)

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:45 am

Main Role: Other...
That what came to mind but I thought it might be too much for the forum prudes.

I wish to wear an iPad. And it has wings too!

(You shouldn't have deleted the picture, Koza. Now my comment makes no sense. Not that my comments are meant to, anyway. :wink:)

Hahahaha. Yeah. I realized "oops, forum policies. ... probably not a good idea..."

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post iPad vs. Kindle: Hesitation and comparison
iPad vs. Kindle: Hesitation and comparison.

With the launch of the iPad , many have been proclaiming the death of e-book readers like the Kindle . However, the comparison isn't actually quite so simple and could potentially leave Apple hurting.

Ever since Steve Jobs first announced iBooks for the iPad, pundits have been wondering about the future of the Kindle and similar e-book readers in the face of this new competition.

The iPad is a non-stop source for consuming updated news feeds, is a phenomenal casual web surfing device, is great for viewing and listening to streamed media, has freed me from my desktop for at least 3 or 4 hours during the work week and has allowed me to relax with technology over the weekend and evenings. In that respect, the device has already justified its purpose.

The Kindle DX has free 3G wireless for buying books, but the iPad has 802.11n, and for most common usage, it just isn't that hard to find a place to hook up. Book prices may be a bit higher on the iPad, but they will be in color and multimedia with the promise of moving video, color charts and pictures, and so on. I also consider the on-screen keyboard an advantage for the iPad -- the keyboard on the Kindle is basically a waste of space.

As a travel companion, all you can do on the DX is read, although there is a rudimentary browser, and more functionality coming. Subscriptions are another Kindle selling point, but it's not a stretch to believe that Apple has something like that coming as well. Comparing the iPad to the Kindle DX, I just don't think there is any contest, and Amazon is going to be forced to think about how they are pricing and marketing the Kindle DX.

iPAD FROM APPLE ( Click picture for detailled description )

OK, on to the standard issue Kindle at U.S. $259.00. This decision is a bit trickier. It's about half the cost of the low end iPad, has a smaller screen, but does have built in no-charge 3G. That's mainly for buying books, as web browsing is pretty painful. Once again, books seem a bit cheaper on the Kindle at this stage, but I've noticed prices creeping up. Battery life with wireless off is about 2 weeks, and the iPad can never touch that.
The iPad starts at $499, but if you want data, the price starts going up rather quickly. 3G versions of the device come at a $130 premium (so the cheapest device with 3G is $629), and a data plan costs at least $14.99/month.

KINDLE DX FROM AMAZON ( Click picture for detailled description )

The Kindle, meanwhile, comes with free, worldwide 3G coverage baked in. It doesn’t do nearly as much as the iPad, but it will always be connected without requiring you to shell out a penny more. Because the smaller, 6″ version of the Kindle is priced at $259, and still comes with free, global 3G coverage, the Kindle definitely wins on price.

For the immediate future, Amazon has far more books on offer. Many classic titles for free !!! If you have the smaller Kindle, I would not have anxiety about the iPad if you are mainly a reader. If you have the DX, I'd feel a bit queasy.

The iPad appears to be adequate for light daytime indoor reading, but fails miserably as an outdoor reading device. Vizplex e-Ink readers such as the Kindle, still appear to be much more optimal for long duration reading indoors and outdoors during daytime hours.

It's likely you'll be able to read your Kindle books on the iPad, just as you can on your iPhone or iPod touch, but they'll be black and white, with no rich illustrations.

Easy and fast comparison table of iPAD/Kindle:

The iPad’s battery life, according to Steve Jobs, is an impressive 10 hours, and it has an even more impressive one month of standby time. Still, it’s likely that getting the full 10 hours means doing things that negatively affect the experience (like lowering screen brightness, turning off WiFi, not playing video, etc.). The Kindle, on the other hand, can give you a full week of reading time with wireless on, and two weeks with wireless off.
If all you’re interested in is reading a book, the Kindle might be the better choice, allowing you to take a week-long vacation without bringing the charger. Your iPad might be dead by the time to step off the plane — or even before that, if you’re on a long flight with a few layovers or delays.

If you are searching to buy a wireless reading device check out this useful site:
This site should give you the feedback needed to learn everything you need to know of electronic book readers. I hope my site about wireless reading devices helps you finding the right one. I love this technology.

See you later...

Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:30 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
One of my good friends has an iPad and it's really fun to play on...but that's about it.

I imagine that Apple, being Apple, will fix a lot of these problems at some point, though.

Beagle On Stage wrote:
I think I might be the only American under sixty who still operates out of a little black address book in which I've written phone numbers and addresses in perfect cursive. Born to be old.

And for that, I salute you, good sir :lol:

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:57 am

Main Role: Stage Manager
I played on one of these at Best Buy, and while it was a lot of fun, it's highly unnecessary. While most electronics are more of "wants" than "needs", at least the ones I have add convenience to my life. This doesn't seem like it would have much use at all, other than entertainment, which I already get from the electronics I have that are also useful.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Main Role: Performer
My mother has one. She adores it, but it's pretty useless to me since I have a MacBook Pro that can do pretty much everything it can do and then some.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
Except it's less portable, battery life isn't as good, doesn't run Apps from the App store and can't instantly turn on/off.

Not that you necessarily need these things. I mean the iPad seems like a niche product, but I can imagine cases where it would be useful.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next