The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Check out this high school Mama Rose!!! 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

^^ Just so we're clear, I said her vocal ability puts her up there with some of the greats (which it does), NOT that her performance as a whole does. Her acting is severely lacking. I'll be the first to admit that. But her vocal technique is near flawless. She sang that score better than most women 3x her age. That's what I am saying.

And furthermore, what I don't understand, is if you can't agree that she's spectacular and beyond her years for a high school teenager, WHAT high school performers do you see? I must be confused, because clearly the high schoolers in your region are all on Broadway. Right?

And you can claim that those women would never want to sing that score perfectly all you want. That's bull. It's not about TRYING to be imperfect, it's about doing your best to do it justice and faulting naturally from time to time. With that said, the fact that she made her way through that score almost effortlessly... that's more interesting to me. But again, just my opinion.

Mon May 31, 2010 11:20 am
Profile WWW

A recurring theme that you keep implying is that being on Broadway or finding a successful professional career necessarily verifies skill. Do you really think that's true?

Mon May 31, 2010 12:18 pm

More often than not, absolutely. Unless the person is a celebrity, or a very rare exception *coughSherieReneScottcough*. But even the mentioned female performer was great in her break-out role (Amneris). Everything else, with maybe the exception of DRS, has been dreadful for her.

Mon May 31, 2010 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I've waited a while to formulate my response, but a lot of what I feel has been said already. One thing I'll add is that not only is dear Hannah's performance based on the Lupone production, certain aspects of the general blocking of the show is stolen from that production (particularly You'll Never Get Away From Me).

And this is way off-topic, but as a former Phil, I have to comment on this production's Phil. I was a lot more energetic and over-the-top (not to mention you could actually hear me; and no, I wasn't miked). However, this actor in Hannah's production was given more free reign of the stage (whereas I was confined to a chair) and he made some emotional choices that I liked very much.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon May 31, 2010 4:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

And furthermore, what I don't understand, is if you can't agree that she's spectacular and beyond her years for a high school teenager, WHAT high school performers do you see?

A more relevant question would be, what high school performers do YOU see? If you truly think that that girl is the most spectacular and incredible thing ever, it's hard to imagine that you've seen much talent. Yes, the Hannah girl is definitely good, but if you really think that nobody else in high school can sing like that... all I have to say is, go see more kids. In all of the youth musical theatre competitions I've witnessed, there were girls who could sing just as good or better.

Quote:
*coughSherieReneScottcough*. But even the mentioned female performer was great in her break-out role (Amneris). Everything else, with maybe the exception of DRS, has been dreadful for her.

Ummmm..... are you actually serious? Sherie Rene Scott is one of the most brilliant actresses working in theatre. I think you're the first person I've ever heard to deny her skill as a performer.

Mon May 31, 2010 9:27 pm

Quote:
And furthermore, what I don't understand, is if you can't agree that she's spectacular and beyond her years for a high school teenager, WHAT high school performers do you see?

A more relevant question would be, what high school performers do YOU see? If you truly think that that girl is the most spectacular and incredible thing ever, it's hard to imagine that you've seen much talent. Yes, the Hannah girl is definitely good, but if you really think that nobody else in high school can sing like that... all I have to say is, go see more kids. In all of the youth musical theatre competitions I've witnessed, there were girls who could sing just as good or better.

I see everything from the average, to the dreadful, to the sublime. But here's an interesting fact for you: my hometown has LOTS of Broadway alum, a lot of which are recent, too. For example, Matt Dengler, who is but 2 years older than me and JUST graduated from NYU, is already on Broadway in A Little Night Music with CZJ and Angie. He went to a neighboring high school (Lyss' high school, actually), and I saw him perform for years. Hannah's vocal technique is better than his was in high school from what I remember, and might even be better than his is now, who knows (I didn't see him when I saw the show, as he is a swing)!

Similarly, Carrie Manolakos, also from my hometown (and the same church, funny enough), is Elphaba on the Tour of Wicked and known for having one of the best high belts in the entire industry. I saw her perform all the time, and again, Hannah's voice is BETTER than Carrie's was at her age. Believe me.

I can go on and on, but for the sake of time and space, I won't. So again, WHAT high schoolers are YOU watching? I'm clearly seeing talented ones here, and thus forming my opinion on that.

Mama Rose wrote:
Jman383 wrote:
*coughSherieReneScottcough*. But even the mentioned female performer was great in her break-out role (Amneris). Everything else, with maybe the exception of DRS, has been dreadful for her.

Ummmm..... are you actually serious? Sherie Rene Scott is one of the most brilliant actresses working in theatre. I think you're the first person I've ever heard to deny her skill as a performer.

Um, are you kidding me? Sherie is a HORRID performer! Her mix is DREADFUL! Have you heard her on the HAIR Actor's Fund Recording? What about as Ursula in TLM?! BAD BAD BAD. Furthermore, she's neither pretty (horse face) nor is she thin (anymore). The bitch has NOTHING going for her. So... yeah. What's your point?

Mon May 31, 2010 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a little while. I figured I'd make my first comment something related to my favorite show. She's far from the worst I've ever seen. The only thing that really gets on my nerves is when she adds 'uh" to the end of just about every word. Ex: "Here she is boys-uh, here she is world-uh, here's Rose-uh!"

It's one of the better high school performances I've seen. Her acting is still pretty spotty, but she does have something and her singing is wonderful. Better sung than LuPone, IMO.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:04 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

nor is she thin (anymore).

Ummm.... what????

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Oh, I forgot, she must be on the downside of her yo-yo diet lifestyle. My bad. :(

Mind you, I think having a ONE WOMAN SHOW does that to you. Let's not even go into her Ursula days LMAO.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:06 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Do you seriously think that that's fat?!?!?!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:14 am

GOD NO. But it sure isn't thin, esp. compared with other Bway stars. All I'm saying. It's neither negative, nor positive, it's just a fact. She's just up and down, and isn't a twig half the time anymore.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well then I guess that's kind of irrelevant because there are lots of gorgeous stars aren't twigs:

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next