The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Check out this high school Mama Rose!!! 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Hmm. I don't see what the problem is. I gave credit where credit was due. Acknowledged her obvious talent and pointed out she's a fabulous impersonator, lol.

She's going places nowadays which most likely means she became an actress somewhere along the way!
:mrgreen:=D>

Sun May 30, 2010 2:29 am

I just think it's silly to say that her performance is either unbearable or even irritating to sit through. I guess my logic is, if you find THIS irritating, what do you think of every other high school performance?

Mind you, I'm not going to sit here and say that most high schoolers are AMAZINGLY talented. They're not, by professional standards. But having just graduated high school 2 years ago, I still find it amazing when someone like Hannah comes around. Are there things about her acting that I can't stand? Absolutely! I could make a list as long as I am tall. But you have to consider the medium of the performance. It's high school.

It'd be like if I went to my niece's elementary school Christmas pageant and said, "It was cute, but I couldn't stand sitting through it. The angels had awful diction, Mother Mary had absolutely NO breath support, Joseph had absolutely no stage presence what so ever....". That would be ABSURD.

I mean... come on, now. High school acting will NEVER be professional or 100% original. NEVER. The singing, however, is on par with some of the greats in the business, and it irritates ME that people haven't been able to applaud that in itself, and rather, just dwell on just the negative stuff.[/b]

Sun May 30, 2010 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thirdly, while Merman was the original, Sondheim loathed her in the role.

Actually Sondheim said that she was his favorite Rose of all.

In an interview, he named Merman in Gypsy as one of his all-time favorite performances ever, along with Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd, Bernadette Peters in Sunday in the Park with George, John McMartin in Follies and Alfred Drake in Kismet.

Quote:
The singing, however, is on par with some of the greats in the business

I completely disagree. She has a good voice, yes, but hardly brilliant or extraordinary. I've heard tons of high school girls who can belt it out just as well, if not better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRjx5J3V_4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LBG7wzXtuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zK2IGVs50g

^here are just a couple

Hanna definitely has talent but I don't think she is as amazing for her age as most people seem to think... that is, based on what I saw of her in Gypsy and The Last 5 Years.

Sun May 30, 2010 10:12 am

I just think it's silly to say that her performance is either unbearable or even irritating to sit through. I guess my logic is, if you find THIS irritating, what do you think of every other high school performance? Mind you, I'm not going to sit here and say that most high schoolers are AMAZINGLY talented. They're not, by professional standards. But having just graduated high school 2 years ago, I still find it amazing when someone like Hannah comes around. Are there things about her acting that I can't stand? Absolutely! I could make a list as long as I am tall. But you have to consider the medium of the performance. It's high school.

The thing is that high schools need to choose appropriate material. She would knock everyone's socks off if her school cast her as Fred, Ado Annie, or maybe even Marian Paroo. But if you're going to tackle a role known for being one of the ultimate tests of a veteran actress, you have to be able to bring it. You can't come up with about two-thirds of it and fall back on, "Well, I'm only in high school, so it's okay that I wasn't quite there yet."

Of COURSE teenagers aren't as seasoned as adults. So they need to be given the educational experience of material that will stretch them, but that they can rise to. Most fifty-year-olds aren't prepared for Rose. So why set a teenager up to only partially succeed? That's why my whole point is that, while she has the talent, she isn't ready to try on every pair of shoes in the store. "A shame you did it all by twenty-six."

It really appears that the kids at her school aren't being served by a very appropriate cirriculum.

And, as our own Mama Rose points out, she may be good, but we all know someone just as good or better. She's that school's power-belting diva, and she's good at it. So was the one each of us went to school with.

Sun May 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Really? Show me one 16 year-old girl who can do this. And then tell me she isn't up there with the greats. She sustains a belted High A for 10 seconds and THEN does a complete riffed run down! It's insanity. And she's ONLY 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wSK_KbK474

Her technique is near flawless. Sorry. So please, PLEASE, show me the girl that you know who can do just the same, if not better. I'd love to see it :)

And as for Sondheim on Merman, I've never gotten that impression from what I've read on his memoirs of working with her. He always said she never understood the acting of the material, and instead took an entirely musical approach to all of the songs, planning and "freezing" the phrasings of certain words and expressions according to downbeats, upbeats etc. Sondheim loathes that. Granted, if you have a direct quote from him, please, show me. I believe I have one somewhere as well.

Sun May 30, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Really? Show me one 16 year-old girl who can do this. And then tell me she isn't up there with the greats. She sustains a belted High A for 10 seconds and THEN does a complete riffed run down! It's insanity. And she's ONLY 16. Her technique is near flawless. Sorry. So please, PLEASE, show me the girl that you know who can do just the same, if not better. I'd love to see it

There was a girl I knew back in high school who could have done that easily. I don't have a video of it, and I'm certainly not going to disclose her name to a random stranger on the internet so that you can Google her name and try to track down a clip of her voice, but trust me. Perhaps there's not a lot of talent out where you live, but a 16-year-old who can belt really high and hold it out long is not incredibly uncommon.

I'm not saying that Hannah isn't talented. She is---I just don't think that she is extraordinary or brilliant.

Quote:
Granted, if you have a direct quote from him, please, show me. I believe I have one somewhere as well.

He says so in Conversations with Stephen Sondheim.

http://partners.nytimes.com/library/mag ... dheim.html

Here's what the article says:

Sondheim's own favorite star performances in musicals, his or others? Among male performances, he unequivocally cites two: Alfred Drake in "Kismet" and John McMartin in "Follies." The list of women is longer, including Peters in "Sunday in the Park," Lansbury in "Sweeney Todd" and "obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy."'

I'm not denying that Sondheim criticized Merman at some point. But I strongly doubt that he would have said that Merman's performance in Gypsy was his third favorite performance by a musical actress ever if he indeed "loathed" her, as you seem to believe.

Last edited by Mama Rose on Sun May 30, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 30, 2010 2:38 pm

Really? Show me one 16 year-old girl who can do this. And then tell me she isn't up there with the greats. She sustains a belted High A for 10 seconds and THEN does a complete riffed run down! It's insanity. And she's ONLY 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wSK_KbK474

Her technique is near flawless. Sorry. So please, PLEASE, show me the girl that you know who can do just the same, if not better. I'd love to see it :)

You couldn't pay me to watch seven minutes of Seussical, but I'll take your word for it that she does it well.

Your problem is that you're putting on tunnel vision for this chick because she is fabulous and fierce. Everyone else agrees that she is good, but nothing to have a heart attack over, and yet you continue to post clips of her brassy feats and insist that she's the greatest thing.

(No, I'm not going to search youtube for clips of other girls matching her high A and riff combination. I'm also not going to rip a clip of my high school girlfriend belting really high to prove to you that this Hannah girl isn't the first and last to power belt as a teen. What is going to happen is that you will now accuse me of failing to provide evidence for my claims, and you'll look pretty foolish for making this such a big deal.)

I have got to learn not to get into these things with you. Life is too short, and as you know, I'm too many years into mine to waste any more of it bickering over whether or not this girl is the next Madonna.

Sun May 30, 2010 2:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Also, Jman, keep in mind that range is not necessarily the end-all-be-all indication of vocal talent. Billie Holiday and Judy Garland are two of America's greatest singers and they could only sing about an octave.

Sun May 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Your problem is that you're putting on tunnel vision for this chick because she is fabulous and fierce. Everyone else agrees that she is good, but nothing to have a heart attack over, and yet you continue to post clips of her brassy feats and insist that she's the greatest thing.

My thoughts exactly. It's like the positive comments aren't good enough. We have to rave about her as much as he does, or it's rude, overly critical, unfair. Baloney.

Sun May 30, 2010 3:31 pm

^^ That's not it at all. My point is, it's just funny to me that someone as talented as she is can only be nitpicked by some of you. The "compliments" you've given her are basically, "yeah, she's got potential. So anyways...". Like, I'm sorry, did you not HEAR what just came out of mouth? That's all I'm saying.

And Beagle, it's in the first 16 seconds. The held A. Just watch. It's quick and painless.

But it doesn't matter. This isn't an argument anyone is going to win. It's just a matter of preference I suppose. Besides, like I said, she just got Legally Blonde out of high school. I think that speaks for itself.

And Mama Rose, Judy Garland was one of the most ferocious belters of her time. She also had a passion and charisma that is unlike anyone I've ever seen clips of. Both things made her famous.

As for Billy, she was purely a jazz singer. Jazz is completely different than MT. Furthermore, jazz is never about range. It's about style. And man did she have it.

Sun May 30, 2010 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Is the girl the most amazing teenage belter ever? Really, I don't care! She's good, and she's booked a national tour, which means that she is GOOD ENOUGH.

She wins. Bitching and nitpicking her for playing a role in a high school production or saying someone else can belt better doesn't take away from her talent, it just acknowledges that someone else has talent too.

Just because Jason Daniely sings better than Antonio Banderas, that doesn't mean that Banderas can't sing.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Mon May 31, 2010 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That's not it at all. My point is, it's just funny to me that someone as talented as she is can only be nitpicked by some of you. The "compliments" you've given her are basically, "yeah, she's got potential. So anyways...". Like, I'm sorry, did you not HEAR what just came out of mouth?

Actually that really DOES seem to be what it's about. It's like there's something wrong with us if we don't think she's as talented as you do. I heard what came out of her mouth and I agreed that she is good, but I didn't think her voice is brilliant or spectacular, even for high school. For you to suggest that I have to think she's amazing because she's a kid is absurd.

Quote:
Bitching and nitpicking her for playing a role in a high school production or saying someone else can belt better doesn't take away from her talent, it just acknowledges that someone else has talent too.

Nobody was saying that she couldn't sing. I'm looking over the posts and pretty much everyone agreed that she's a good singer and definitely has talent. And nobody was really comparing her to anyone else until Jman started making (in my opinion) exaggerated claims about how she's one of the greats, the most amazing kid ever, etc. To which I and several others disagreed.

Mon May 31, 2010 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next