The Resource For Musicals

Mamma Mia! Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
If YOU were to write a sequel to Mamma Mia... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post If YOU were to write a sequel to Mamma Mia...
...which songs would you include?

I thought of this today. I have a semi secret weakness for some ABBA songs, but those are usually among the non-hits, like The Pied Piper and Andante Andante. The'd benefit from more exposure.

But I'm by no means an ABBA expert, so I just wondered.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sun May 23, 2010 3:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Living. Laughing. Breathing. Singing.
Main Role: Performer
Fernando is probably the most notable omission... but I'd struggle to see how it'd fit in the show.

Donna hums it at some point but it seems a bit of a waste of the song!

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer

Sun May 23, 2010 3:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Plotline...
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

I don't know which songs I'd include, but I know what the plotline would look like:

Sophie and her husband are celebrating their 1-year- wedding anniversary, and Sophie is expecting (any day now) a new addition to the family, but she remembers having cheated on her husband (while they were on vacation, and while she was drunk) with a handsome stranger, so she convinces her husband to take her to that vacation spot for the anniversary.

While her husband tries to romance her, Sophie tries desperately to find her one-night stand lover, so that she can plan her future, based upon who the Baby Daddy is!

More situations come into the mix when Sophie tells her story to her mom and her new step dad. Sophie's mom approves of her daughter's wild ways, but her stepfather wants her to tell her husband the truth, and to try to patch up the relationship, for the kid's sake.

During the search, Sophie's stepfather finds her lover first, and Sophie, thinking that the one-night Romeo has been told to leave her alone, freaks out, and declares to her husband that their relationship is worth trashing, 'cause it's headed for a divorce anyway; she never mentions the lover, or the question of the paternity of the baby.

Sophie then confronts her stepfather, and heads back to America, leaving her mother and her stepfather to realize that their own marriage is suddenly on the rocks, due to their differing opinions about Sophie's situation.

Sophie's mom decides that it's time for her to become a "Cougar" (although they weren't called that during the 1990s), and she prepares to heat the night up with her daughter's one-night-stand, until the young man recognizes something familiar about her (like mother, like daughter). She decides that she can't be that cruel, so, instead, she tells the man about her daughter, and she asks him what he'd do if the baby were his. He replies that both he and Sophie were drunk, and that he isn't ready to be a father; he wants to find that special someone BEFORE he becomes a father. Sophie's mom gives him a pep talk, and then she tells him that she'll somehow help to set everything right, even if the baby IS his.

Back at the hotel, Sophie's husband is nervous, anxious, angry, etc. He's about to follow Sophie back to the states, when Sophie's stepfather talks to him, telling him that Sophie is just nervous, and that she'll return sooner or later.

In America, Sophie delivers her baby alone; travelling back to the vacation destination in cognito, she meets her stepfather in secret, apologizes to him, asks him where her lover is, meets with her lover in secret, gets a paternity test, and rejoices when he turns out out to NOT be the Baby Daddy; both lovers decide that their affair was immature, and they wish each other well, and share one last dance together.

Sophie's stepfather arrives with flowers for Sophie's mom, and the two reunite.

Sophie goes to the airport, pretending that her plane has just arrived, and she calls her husband; when the two meet, he gets to see his new daughter for the first time.

Sophie's big surprise occurs when she realizes that her husband brought her mother and her stepfather with him, just in case a baby was coming back with Sophie!

The family celebrates renewed love, new promises, and the ability to forget old mistakes...

-------------------------------------------------------

I know that the aforementioned storyline may sound sordid and weird, but, hey, that's the sort of society that we're living in, and so the plotline is perfect for today's society. I hope that it doesn't sound TOO weird...

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sun May 23, 2010 5:21 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Sun May 23, 2010 6:16 pm

Main Role: Fan
...I wouldn't.

HAHA I was going to say the same thing!

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Sun May 23, 2010 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'd make it "The Worst Of Abba" and not The best. Find a way to put in Dum Dum Diddle, The King Kong Song, etc.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Sun May 23, 2010 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Seeing that all of the original Mamma Mia! songs were on the Abba Gold albums (except Slipping Through My Fingers) I would expect:

Fernando
Summer Night City
Angeleyes
The Day Before You Came
Eagle
So Long
The Visitors
On and On and On
Ring Ring
I Wonder (Departure)
Lovelight
Head over Heels
When I Kissed the Teacher
Cassandra
The Way Old Friends Do

+ People Need Love as Encore!

I have no idea on how to make a story out of these songs though.

Mon May 24, 2010 3:14 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just for the record: I think Mamma Mia is a silly and annoying show. Even more annoying because the songs used are mainly the corniest ABBA songs, those that actually are cool were neglected.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon May 24, 2010 4:02 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan

Mon May 24, 2010 4:08 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Just for the record: I think Mamma Mia is a silly and annoying show. Even more annoying because the songs used are mainly the corniest ABBA songs, those that actually are cool were neglected.

Which ABBA songs do you prefer?

Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Which ABBA songs do you prefer?

As I mentioned, I'm absolutely no ABBA expert, but I like songs like Andanta Andante, The Piper, Cassandra, I Let The Music Speak and Happy New Year.

Formerly known as Dvarg

Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I guess technically Waterloo was left out. It could be integrated into a story instead of used for an encore. It would make for a pretty good showstopper. The song even fits with the present show's topic.

But I'm not a huge fan of ABBA. I only know their hits. Never cared for Dancing Queen.

Mon May 24, 2010 11:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next