The Resource For Musicals

Company Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Why Do Company? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Why Do Company?
Sure, it's one of Sondheim's best and catchiest scores, but do enough people know it to generate interest? Plus, you'd run the chance of Bobby's married friends coming across to audiences as being too abrasive and negative. So, why do Company?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun May 02, 2010 9:31 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Well, "Being Alive" is a Broadway standard. People are bound to know it.

Sun May 02, 2010 9:33 am

Main Role: Performer
Ive been in 2 productions. both brought huge crowds to the theatre. we even added an extra performance in 2005.

besides even if a show doesnt sell out at your box office, its not the reason to do a show you do shows to expand the audiences horizons and your own.

Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Because it is one of the 10 greatest musicals ever written. Sometimes people make artistic choices instead of greedy money choices like what has been done to too many shows.

Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
I don't think the couples are "abrasive and negative." They are real couples and their scenes are very funny to watch. Sure, they have their problems, but what couple doesn't? The important thing is that they know each other well enough to deal with the problems and stay together.

Sun May 02, 2010 9:48 am

Current Obsession: Chess
The theme of marriage (and relationships generally) is one that can be widely related to and many would find good humour in the show for this reason.

Sun May 02, 2010 10:14 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't think the couples are "abrasive and negative." They are real couples and their scenes are very funny to watch. Sure, they have their problems, but what couple doesn't? The important thing is that they know each other well enough to deal with the problems and stay together.

Agreed and as friends go, I think it absolutely a positive thing to be real and honest with your own. You can then provide a perspective based on a reality as well as get the support you might need. Sometimes you just don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but amongst friends, the truth matters and facades should be thrown out the window. If in this case all are such close friends, they shouldn't hide from eachother to paint a sort of picturesque scenery. The show is raw, and very very personal. It isn't meant to be glitzy and uplifting and I think that's part of what is so very endearing and fascinating about it. I don't always want the glam. Such an honest look at life, personal dispute, and relationships should stripped bare so that it's core can be revealed. Also, I think that some people might find comfort in it as I'm sure for many it is very relatable. It's real and that'
s what I like about it. If it weren't, the material could not move me to tears. Even if it were to make one uncomfortable, who says that that's always a bad thing. Well... that and Sonheim is just a genious composer.

Tue May 18, 2010 1:21 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Why Do Company?
Good directing should recognize and fix if the friends are being played in a way that comes across as abrasive

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]