The Resource For Musicals

Sweeney Todd Forum

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
SWEENEY TODD with Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I can't imagine Michael Ball as Sweeney. He's honestly the LAST person I'd think of when casting Sweeney. Imelda should be amazing.
To be honest, I'm just excited to see Sweeney Todd live. I've been waiting years for a revival!

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:00 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Michael Ball I'm iffy on (if he's playing Sweeney-I think he'd be able to pull off Anthony, but he's probably too old) But I'd die to see Staunton play Lovett! I didn't even know she could sing! She'll be awsome, that's for sure...

Staunton was the original Bakers Wife in the London Into the Woods.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 pm
Profile WWW

Michael Ball...? Huh...oh well, only one way to know how this will go!

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Mistress wrote:
Michael Ball I'm iffy on (if he's playing Sweeney-I think he'd be able to pull off Anthony, but he's probably too old) But I'd die to see Staunton play Lovett! I didn't even know she could sing! She'll be awsome, that's for sure...

Staunton was the original Bakers Wife in the London Into the Woods.

Oh yeah...I saw her Baker's Wife picture in a book on the history of musical theatre...

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:29 am

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:07 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRTZEyGkfKQ

I still get a kick out of this clip. I am sure Ana will attest to that.

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:58 am

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Post Re: SWEENEY TODD with Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton

(This is a repost from the thread I started. I totally forgot this one existed ^^)

This looks SO good (much to my surprise)...and I'm impressed with Ball, He sounded decent in the clip of Little Priest I saw, but his appearance is really...WOW. I would NEVER picture him like that.

On another note, they seem to have taken notes on the movie and cast a young boy as Toby (or an actor who looks very much like a young boy as opposed to the usual man-child we get onstage). I think that it'll make things seem considerably darker and crueler...thoughts?

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:35 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Mistress wrote:
On another note, they seem to have taken notes on the movie and cast a young boy as Toby (or an actor who looks very much like a young boy as opposed to the usual man-child we get onstage). I think that it'll make things seem considerably darker and crueler...thoughts?

This is another reason why I dislike like the movie so much :( Still, what's done is done... I imagine it could go one of two ways. Either, the fact that Toby is played by a boy will shock the audience more, especially at the end (as i assume is the intention), OR the audience will be split into two groups: those who came having seen it done live before (with a man as Toby) and those who came having only seen the movie. I imagine the latter would be quite happy, but the former...

Current roles: Emcee (Cabaret)
Upcoming: Auditioning for Les Miz

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:37 am

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
I don't see what the big deal of casting Toby as a young boy is. Sweeney Todd is a piece of theatre, it doesn't have to be exactly the same. Especially, from what I understand about this production--I heard it's re-imagined in the 1930s or something along those lines. If they wanna cast Toby as a young boy, then fine. If they want Pirelli to be a pants role, fine.

That said, this production looks SO GOOD. Broadway transfer with the same cast please? Yes.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:01 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I think that this is going to be incredible! It's one of my favourite musicals and I'm so glad it's coming to London. These videos got me even more excited! :D http://www.theatreticketscheap.com/sweeney-todd/

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:38 am

Current Obsession: Shaw
Disney-Bway27 wrote:
I don't see what the big deal of casting Toby as a young boy is. Sweeney Todd is a piece of theatre, it doesn't have to be exactly the same. Especially, from what I understand about this production--I heard it's re-imagined in the 1930s or something along those lines. If they wanna cast Toby as a young boy, then fine. If they want Pirelli to be a pants role, fine.

That said, this production looks SO GOOD. Broadway transfer with the same cast please? Yes.

The Industrial Revolution setting is so integral to Sweeney for me, I'd be very cautious and intrigued to see the show done otherwise.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:11 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Whilst I haven't seen the West End transfer of this production yet. I did see the original Chichester production last year. Michael Ball and Imelda Staunton are brilliant as Sweeney and Mrs Lovett and the supporting cast were very strong. The lighting is low but this, along with Anthony Wards set design adds atmosphere to the proceedings. From the clips I've heard on various radio interviews the highlights cd sounds great too.

It had it's opening night last night and judging by the reviews the transfer is just a good as it was in Chichester.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next