The Resource For Musicals

The Phantom of the Opera Forum

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Christine's Voice 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

What ever you decide to do i would echo the comments on here and say be carefull!, by the sounds of it you have a good voice and therefore a bright future ahead so do not push yourself too hard and risk damaging your voice

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:37 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Cats, A Chorus line, Tarzan
Main Role: Performer
ConverseSneaker wrote:
I have some advice. Don't sing it. Don't even attempt to at fourteen. No Phantom or Wicked for that matter. It will destroy your vocal cords quicker than anything.

Give it a few years and then try.

Oops. See, I saw the movie when I was ten years old, and ever since that night, I have had every fiber of by being set on getting the role of Christine someday. Therefore, I have been practicing her songs ever since I was ten. I am now thirteen.
I can hit every one of her notes well (this is coming from my mom, a trained singer) except the high E at the end of Phantom which I can hit badly.
So am I screwed or what?

First of all - youre only 13! A high C for you is very impressive! a Super E is not something you are supposed to do at this age :) If I think about my registre when I was 14 (or even 16) it has improved like crazy since! I can sing up to a Tenor high C- if someone had told me that a couple of years ago I wouldn't have believed them. Ones voice needs time to mature - and if you can allmost sing a Super E now, you will be awesome by the time your voice is done growing! Be carefull with your voice - you can't get a replacement of it.

To sing those notes right you have to get some classical training when you get older. Which leads me up to my all time favourite love-to-hate: the Phantom movie.
First of all a lot of Christines high notes and such a transposed down to a lower key in the movie since, I guess, Emmy Rossum couldn't do it at the age of 17, and without any proper training for that matter too. Also the movie is not live, and therefore gives you a false expectation of how to sing. They have edited that soundtrack like crazy. Go watch one of the live recordings/concertvideos of live Christines instead, or even better the show! That's how it's supposed to sound - and you get a better views of how much singing technique goes into singing that part without hurting your voice :)there is a reason no christine does 8 shows a week! It's a really demanding part- but not impossible!:)

Mon May 24, 2010 1:49 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hey, I'm 16 and I also love Phantom and get where you're coming from. I've had singing lessons for thre years and we've just started 'Think of me' and it's only recently that I've started singing notes such as the high C. My teacher played Christine on the West End (it's an honor to sing with her) so she'd knows where she's coming from and she's slowly preparing me to take my voice higher but not pushing it. I always want to do more and I remember once asking to help push my chest voice higher and she flat out refused, saying it would effect my voice. I've known her do the title song once with one of her pupils and that wasn't until their final year in senior school.

You should be very careful about pushing you voice at this point, you don't want to do something you'll regret. Be patient and work hard and it'll happen for you.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:20 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: Cats, A Chorus line, Tarzan
Main Role: Performer
Hey, I'm 16 and I also love Phantom and get where you're coming from. I've had singing lessons for thre years and we've just started 'Think of me' and it's only recently that I've started singing notes such as the high C. My teacher played Christine on the West End (it's an honor to sing with her) so she'd knows where she's coming from and she's slowly preparing me to take my voice higher but not pushing it. I always want to do more and I remember once asking to help push my chest voice higher and she flat out refused, saying it would effect my voice. I've known her do the title song once with one of her pupils and that wasn't until their final year in senior school.

You should be very careful about pushing you voice at this point, you don't want to do something you'll regret. Be patient and work hard and it'll happen for you.

That sounds like a fantastic singing teacher you have there! I love the fact that she is so concerned and responsible about your voice :)! Teachers who wants adult-results out of young singers that are not ready for it, are not worthy of the trust they get!

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:13 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The fact of the matter is, young voices are just that; young.
No one's voice is fully developed at 13, 16 or even into their 20's. Classical voices in particular continue developing and strengthening with time, proper care, education and practice.
Most females will start out as soubrettes for example, but by the time they're reaching their forties, they can cound more like a dramatic soprano with an extended range and different timbre.
Hopefully now, everyone understands that pushing your voice before it's time will only ever have detrimental effects.
Also, what's with young women and being obsessed with how high they can sing? What do they gain from exaggerating their upper-range? Because sure as anything, if you say you can hit a high C, the girl next to you will say she can hit a high D. Instead of being focussed on how broad one's range is, I think it is more beneficial to focus on the quality one can attain.

PAST FAVOURITES: Regan- King Lear & Pepicek - Brundibar

DREAM ROLES: Eliza Doolittle, Hedda Gabler and Lady M

Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:06 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Christine's Voice
Ok, first off, you should not be straining your voice by trying to hit that high note. Work up to that note slowly because you need a lot of strength and training to hit that note. And for the record, I can hit that high note at the end of the Phantom of The Opera naturally. I’ve done it many times, for my family, friends, and music teachers. I’m 17. So it’s not impossible. It just takes time and range.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:33 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Christine's Voice
OK so you are never to young to start working with your voice you just need to do vocal exercises and try joining choir, but I'm 16 and I can hit her note. I use not to be able to I was really close though and I keep working with my voice and I came to the point where I finally was able to hit that note. A lot and people always ask me how I could hit this note and I said well I'm a soprano so I hit high notes anyway but I just worked with it for awhile now.

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2