The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
So was it true love, or just a coupla immature kids? 

So was it troo luv, or just a coupla immature kids?
True love 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Shallow puppy 'love' 40%  40%  [ 8 ]
Either way works 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
I don't know 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

So was it true love, or just a coupla immature kids? 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post So was it true love, or just a coupla immature kids?
Are we meant to think that Tony and Maria really were made for each other? Or that they were a couple of kids with raging hormones and naive ideas about romance?

To me it seems as though we're *meant* to see them as soul mates, but in actuality they end up looking more like deluded kids (if they seem like real people at all). What do you think?

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:19 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
I voted what I think they come across as (puppy love), but I agree we are meant to believe it is genuine.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:24 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Okay, exactly how long were they together and didn't she just meet him. She dosn't even know if he's a seirial killer or if he just wants to do "things" with her. It is a very obscene show. :lol:

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:09 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I suppose this depends on whether you buy into the notion of "love at first sight" or not. Personally, I think it's possible to be extremely attracted to someone you've just met, a feeling which could eventually lead to true love if you spend enough time with the person. But can you really fall in love at first sight, in the sense of a deep, everlasting love where each partner truly understands and cares for the other? I think not; that takes time. I've always felt the same way about Romeo and Juliet too, since their courtship also takes place over the course of only a few days.

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:25 am

Considering it's effectively a retelling of 'Romeo and Juliet', I'd say 'couple of immature kids' for the most part. One thing that is often overlooked with Shakespeare's play is that it is in large part satirical. It is more than a criticism of a couple being prevented from being together because of two warring factions that have been feuding so long they cannot even remember why they quarrel. It is as much critical of how two impulsive youngsters' reckless obssession with each-other brings suffering and death to both of them as well as the people around them.

Yes, an attraction based on first impression can be very strong and there would be justifiable reasons why Tony and Maria would regard each-other as a desirable partner, but what they have can only be a premature stage of love. Romantic love in its most readily understood sense requires more time to settle in than that.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Devout fan of the film West Side Story
Main Role: Fan
Post Re:
Damask and Dark wrote:
I suppose this depends on whether you buy into the notion of "love at first sight" or not. Personally, I think it's possible to be extremely attracted to someone you've just met, a feeling which could eventually lead to true love if you spend enough time with the person. But can you really fall in love at first sight, in the sense of a deep, everlasting love where each partner truly understands and cares for the other? I think not; that takes time. I've always felt the same way about Romeo and Juliet too, since their courtship also takes place over the course of only a few days.

It's possible, in real life, for two people to fall in love with each other at first sight, but it still takes a good amount of time, (like years, maybe) to grow and develop into something really substantial, based in mutual trust, understanding and commitment to one another, if one gets the drift.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]