The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Evita at the Stratford Festival 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
I think that Colm Feore is a great actor, don't get me wrong, but Mackers swallows up the best of them. Personally, I found him miscast because he's at his best when he's doing those mercurial, Cyrano-like characters. When he was Mercutio in the eighties', he pretty much monopolized the entire production, and his Cyrano in the last season was so much better than his anaemic Mackers.

Same thing happened to Ben Carlson. His Brutus was struggled in Julius Caesar, but his John Worthing in Earnest was wonderful. And the year before that he turned in this Hamlet I'm still eking out about. It was just a case of miscasting, plain and simple, which I guess happens now and then when you have a core company and not that many outsiders coming in.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I loved Ben Carlson's Hamlet! Except that I felt that he slightly overacted the more dramatic bits, I thought he was absolutely wonderful. An unusually witty and sarcastic Hamlet who actually got laughs out of the auudience. Geraint Wyn Davies' Polonius really stole the show though :D

*sigh* I really miss William Hutt. He was magical...I do hope that Plummer doesn't overshadow him with his Prospero this year...I also vaguely rememebr him in Inherent the Wind as what's-his-name, the defence attorney. He was awsome.

Oh well, enough moping. Any ideas of who you'd want see come to Stratford in future years?

Hey, do you think they could ever covince Kenneth Brannagh or Emma Thompson to come down here? (I absolutely ADORE their Much Ado movie from 1990. The one with Robert Sean Leonard from House as Claudio? Pure brilliance in every way XD)

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:24 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think his Hamlet was one for the ages. It's a pity Jude Law went and did his like a couple of months after, or Ben Carlson would have been talked about for a long time. I was so happy to see Geraint Wyn-Davies, too. I loved him in Slings and Arrows, and that was my first time seeing him live.

By the way, I don't know if you like Tom Stoppard's stuff, but did you catch the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead references in that Hamlet? Pretty much made my day.

I have the video of Long Day's Journey Into Night with Hutt as Tyrone. It's the closest I can come to him actually performing live, as I narrowly missed him in what was going to be his last season...

Personally, I would love to see Paul Gross return to the Festival. He hasn't done anything here since forever. Too busy with Passchendaele and whatnot. Maybe he could direct something?

I'd love to see Rachel McAdams be obligated to do something here for patriotic duty. I'd have her as Viola in Twelfth Night or even Lorenzaccio, just because she has a lot of tomboyish energy that has so far gone untapped. I think it would work out.

Anthony Hopkins. I don't know how they would convince him to come, and how much money they would have to pay him, but I think he could be given the Shakespearean career he's been denied because of Hannibal Lecter. And while we're talking British pipe dreams, I want Hugh Laurie to be Ford in Wives of Windsor.

And though she's still at the Festival, to the best of my knowledge, Martha Henry needs to do Lear. If Brian Bedford can do Lady Bracknell, then she can do Lear.

EDIT- I would love to see Kenneth Branagh here. Maybe he could direct and star in a Macbeth that works!

Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
YES to Paul Gross and Anthony Hopkins (I would give my first born to see either of them live XD)

I guess the ultimate dream would be to have the Wein or Tour cast of Elisabeth come down for a couple weeks...we all have our pipe dream XD

Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:51 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Another pipe dream of mine? I would love to see them do Julius Caesar but without fascist overtones. It's kind of depressing how many directors find a play of Shakespeare's that's set in Italy/Ancient Rome, and then give it a straight-on Mussolini interpretation... It looks like As You Like It might have militaristic overtones, which bothers me beyond compare though I'm still going to see it...

EDIT- This is from their website:

Quote:
The opening scenes in the court of the usurping Duke Frederick are dark in tone, evoking the atmosphere of a fascist regime.

Really director? Really?

I am just a bit sad at this because As You Like It is going to be the first Shakespearean comedy I see, and if there's goose-stepping in a non Springtime for Hitler context, I know I won't enjoy it as a comedy, but as a Very Serious Play. I think this is a bad choice on someone's part, instigated to alienate normal people from a perfectly accessible play.

-rant is done-

LET'S TALK ABOUT EVITA, SHALL WE?

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't think you need to worry about goose stepping in this production. I think it's important to remember that this play starts out in a court that is quite oppressive and the director (Des McAnuff) thought the best way to portray this for current audiences is by creating a world that begins in a fascist state. So the change into the light, more natural world of Arden Park is more freeing for both the characters and the audience. You will still find comedy in the show, no need to worry about that.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thanks for the info. I'm glad about that anyhow.

(rants are the only way to resuscitate dead threads apparently) :D

On the lighter side, now that I'm actually seeing Evita, I'd just like to say that I am soo excited to see Juan Chioran for the first time live. I loved him in the Dracula DVD, and I've heard nothing but good about him. I'd love to see what he's like as Juan Peron.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:53 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Glad I can bring some life to something that's dead!

I hope you enjoy Evita, don't forget to get in touch with me to get your backstage tour tickets. Will you also be seeing Kiss Me, Kate? Juan is in both the musicals this year (he usually does one musical and one drama - typically a Shakespeare or Shakespeare contemporary).

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:23 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I will get in touch about those as soon as humanly possible. And yes, I will also be seeing Kiss Me Kate. Frankly, I wouldn't be missing it for the world.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:27 pm
Profile WWW

STILL waiting to by tickets. My mom's holding out for cheap deals like they had last year (we saved so much money that my mom is willing to fork out money to see two shows if she can get a similar deal on ticket prices).

But I WILL be seeing Evita, and maybe Kiss Me Kate can be for my birthday :-k

Sat May 01, 2010 6:44 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yay! Balls on waiting for tickets, though. I hope they do come back with the good deals. You'd think in these times they'd be reviving that idea and offering them. I know lots of people who only go for the twenty dollar tickets to the Shakespeares.

I'm so psyched for the Festival! August is coming closer and closer, and I've heard such good things from the people who've gone to see previews! Practically everyone in my show is trying to book time off during the summer to catch the Tempest. It's quite amazing.

In other Shakespeare news, I managed to tape David Tennant's Hamlet while it was on PBS. I think it's great (though not as great as Ben Carlson's, of course). The concepts were awesome, the Ophelia a breath of fresh air, and Tennant himself is easily the most acrobatic Hamlet I've ever seen.

Here's hoping he'll do Mercutio some day. :)

Thu May 06, 2010 6:28 pm
Profile WWW

I can't picture him as anything other than Dr. Who...XD...but tell me more, especially about this "fresh" Ophelia...and an acrobatic Hamlet? :-s

Fri May 07, 2010 5:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next