The Resource For Musicals

Jesus Christ Superstar Forum

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Why make Judas so difficult a role? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
Glenn Carter did the falsetto G like Neely also...

I prefer Neeley's falsettos than Carter's. Carter's aren't powerful like Neeley's!

I saw him in Montreal a year ago and he still can hit it (not as well as before, but still!!) The guy's amazing!

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:39 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hello I am new to this forum. Hope to stay long.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:06 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hello there I do some research but I found it here something that is new with all my heart. http://www.jesuspoops.com

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I prefer Neeley's falsettos than Carter's. Carter's aren't powerful like Neeley's!

Good call. He emoted the hell out of the lyrics, but his falsetto sounded less powerful and too starkly different from the rest of his tone.

I enjoy Steve Balsamo's performance...it's somewhere in between Neeley and Carter.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:51 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
MunkustrapQC wrote:

Good call. He emoted the hell out of the lyrics, but his falsetto sounded less powerful and too starkly different from the rest of his tone.

I enjoy Steve Balsamo's performance...it's somewhere in between Neeley and Carter.

Steve Balsamo is to me THE greatest Jesus EVER!

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Steve's my favorite Jesus as zubin varla is my favorite judas. That recording is nearly perfect. If only they had a barry dennen like Pilate instead of an operatic baritone.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I always thought the exact same thing. Balsamo's performance as Jesus is less powerful/rock than Neeley's, but way better than Carter's. I see Balsamo's Jesus as a Broadway-type character, less than a rock 'n' roll performance like Neeley's, Fenholt's or..hum... Sebastian Bach :?

Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:14 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Why make Judas so difficult a role?
Vichysois wrote:
Just something that I find curious. Why write music for a character that is extremely dangerous and taxing to perform? Ben Vereen, Carl Anderson, et al risked serious vocal injury playing Judas night after night. Why write a role that is so dangerous?

An obvious answer is the spectacle - the impressive feat of playing the role well, but that answer feels hollow.

An alternative question is this: Did ALW purposefully make the role a suicide mission, or did he just write things that sounded good?

ALW has always had a preference for writing extreme roles - extreme as in vocally exhausting. His lead roles are on stage almost all the time, and their range is huge. Judas, Evita, Christine...

Many of his songs are also a marathon of vocal effort, covering two or three octaves, having long and high notes, demanding different styles of singing. Gethsemane is one example the "Phantom of the Opera" title song another, and take a pick in "Evita"... This is often contrasted with Sondheim's work, where the rhythm and style is what's challenging (Sondheim is often accused of writing "unhummable" songs), and not necessarily the range and tempo.

This might be positive or negative, main thing is that the difficult roles are well written and very impressive in the hands of a singer who handles it.

If a singer breaks his/her neck (or rather, voice) when doing the role, I would say it's a miscast rather than a flaw in the role. Eventually, it's time to put in an alternate to ease the burden of the principal singer.

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
Another idea is that if he wrote the part with a particular singer in his head other that not having that range could find it silly hard to sing.

Besides I think both musicalgoers and actors/actress like songs that you cant sing at everydays caraoke shows buts a bit tougher and more challenging to get right. And ALW is known to often slide into the opera segments in songs (Like Old Deotoronomy in Cats.)

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:11 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer

Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The role of Judas (and the other leads in JCS, as well as other ALW shows) often have very complex psychological profiles. There is not enough time in the day to explain them all.

I think that's what motivates his pieces. The idea for a character is created and discussed by the authors and they decide what works for that character.

Plus, playing a challenging character is always fun.

I disagree with something though. Most JCS fan s want to see the actors and actresses cough up their lungs in the show. If not, they're not trying hard enough.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next