The Resource For Musicals

Starlight Express Forum

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
is this show really bad? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think it's horrible to refer to 'economic' story telling.

What do you mean?

(Unless I failed to distinghuis between "economic" and economical", as they are the same word in Norwegian.)

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:44 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I mean that is seems so cold to judge a story by it's frugality. It is the little splashes of pointless that make any story entertaining, not just a dull recount of events.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:50 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It is the little splashes of pointless that make any story entertaining, not just a dull recount of events.

Economic storytelling is not the same as a recount of events. It is about which means one puts to use to tell a story. The result can include lots of "small splashes of pointless". What counts when judging a story is how the story is told.

I've given Joseph... as an example several times. The show is nothing but little splashes of poinlessness. But the pointlessness is quite cunningly constructed, with very economical means. That is why the show is so entertaining.

The point is that to a lot of people (for example those who dislike StEx)the sense of surprise and entertainment is greater if contrasted with an economically use of means and within a tight frame.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I can't stand it when people do not like this musical! I think it is so original and innovative! ALL of the music is so catchy.

What's not to like???

Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:32 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I can't stand it when people do not like this musical! I think it is so original and innovative! ALL of the music is so catchy.

What's not to like???

seriously???

Starlight's my favourite show but I can totally appreciate how some people can't stand it. Yes, it's innovative, original, great music, characters, spectacular. But, depending on production, the plot is likely to be paper-thin, resulting in poorly drawn characters, random motivation, too much spectacle and not enough story. Also people who know little about the show often have negative misconceptions, fuelled by arrogant reviewers.

And some people just do not like big flashy shows, they'd rather watch something small and intimate. Or a historical epic like Les Miserables. Or something traditional like Oklahoma, without the rock and noise levels and bisexual principal characters.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I guess I CAN see how it might not be everyone's "cup of tea"...

It is just sooooo darn entertaining :)

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

A lot of people don't like it for the exact same reasons that a lot of people do like it. Same goes for a lot of shows.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4