Turbonegro vocalist as Jesus 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan

- Annas is female
- Jesus is a fat biker-lookin' guy with tattoos and bling
- Judas appears to be female as well
- If anyone objected to the 2000 film's kiss in the garden, they'll start burning churches and raping women if they see this one
- Futuristic setting as opposed to Israel in 4 B.C.

If you wanna say he's trusting the material he chose to work with, fine, but forgive me if I ask on what planet any of the above constitutes that.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Well, the show kinda does run off of anachronisms.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:18 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Well, let's see.

- Annas is female
- If anyone objected to the 2000 film's kiss in the garden, they'll start burning churches and raping women if they see this one

If you wanna say he's trusting the material he chose to work with, fine, but forgive me if I ask on what planet any of the above constitutes that.

Well, "Det Norske Teatre" is famous for viewing plays from different angles. The recently did the Jungle Book, in what they called a "Brick Jungle". Everything was set in today's Oslo, it was the same story, but made more stylistic.

I don't see the problem with it, because if it's bad, then it's bad, but at least they try! And as a vise man once said; "Art can never be right, therefore it can never be wrong."

Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:25 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, let's see.

- Annas is female

I agree that the Annas as female thing seems odd. But I don't see how any of those other points contradict the text. The show is based on anacronisms. It's a major aspect of the adaption of the source.

Oh, and the Judas is definately a guy. He's a very good singer and actor.

Norwegian directors have had a habit of incorporating pop songs, cutting vital songs and rearranging the structure of musicals according to their own, egosentrical ideas.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:37 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I saw the opening night of this production, and I was a lot more impressed than expected. simply because, in all it's oddity, it worked. It was good theatre. It was great entertainment. And it rocked - literally...

As Jesus: Hank von Helvete from the death punk band Turboneger, rocking his way through the musical
Setting: drug addicts and transsexuals, living in a world between the highway and the railway
Scene: huge, railway, concrete columns, barrels with flames, an obscure water construction in front
Judas: Pete Dorethy's lost twin
Pilate: an S/M-like policewoman, suspiciously similar to the police chief of Oslo
Herodes: a Hefner like playboy dressed only in a tiny blue speedo, surrounded by bikini girls, in a Hawaiian setting
Sound level: Insane. At times like a rock concert, with the orchestra actually placed on stage, wearing costumes reminding of Turboneger's stage outfits

Admittedly, first act haltered a bit, but the second act was grand theatre. And the total was very impressive, with a surprising casting, an excellent orchestra, good translation (though much of the Tim Rice genius IS lost in translations) and truly funky design. =D>

One of my favourite parts might have been the ending, where the railway track raised from the floor, forming a gigantic glowing cross with the crucified Christ in the middle, and with the cast rising "through" the water/pool (front stage) as a symphony orchestra, playing a sobbing sad tune. VERY cool.

Is Hank von Helvete a trained singer? Does he handle the songs? Erm.... not really... That usually bugs me a lot, but with him it worked. Somehow, it just worked. I'm a bit worried what might happen if he's off sick some day though, as so much of the musical is based on HIM, his attitude, his voice, his celebrity status.... :?

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Some clips from the dress rehearsal of JCS at Det Norske Teatret:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8c6HibG7fU

(Clips put out by the theatre, so I assume it's okay to post the link?)

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I'm going to see the production tonight, so I'll try to write a little review. Don't expect something widely detailed though, since I usually get stuck in my own little world when I watch good productions.

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Homeless people, poor people and other who may need/want it will get a free ticket for "Jesus Christ Superstar" in Oslo on New Year's Eve, if they contact the theatre. Along with the ticket comes a free meal, served at the theatre, and with the attendance of the theatre managers and the cast:

På torsdag inviterer teatersjef Vidar Sandem og Erik Ulfsby bustadslause, fattige og andre trengande til nyttårsframsyning med Jesus Christ Superstar kl. 18.00! Vi oppmodar organisasjonar som hjelper bustadslause, fattige og trengande om å ta kontakt med Det Norske Teatret for gratis billettar. Etter nyttårsframsyninga blir det servert suppe til dei som har fått fribillett.

( http://www.detnorsketeatret.no/PressRoo ... fault.aspx )

That is a really nice gesture of the theatre, I wish more would follow their example.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
Indeed! Actually I would have paid for a dinner with my favorite Cats casts but thats another story. (eye I think theathre managers have a fortune to make here!)

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:02 pm

Post Re: Turbonegro vocalist as Jesus
Bump.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2