The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Is Spelling Bee appropriate for high schools? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Please,Hello wrote:
If you change it we can only guess that yes, he did have a erection.

No, I don't think his having an erection is really the point or even important. Chip is entering puberty and has to deal with his interest in girls intruding into his mind. That's the crux of the matter.

Are you familiar with A New Brain

Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:09 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Pounce wrote:
Please,Hello wrote:

No, I don't think his having an erection is really the point or even important. Chip is entering puberty and has to deal with his interest in girls intruding into his mind. That's the crux of the matter.

Know of it but haven't seen it. Finn also wrote it.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:53 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Please,Hello wrote:
Pounce wrote:
Please,Hello wrote:

Do you have any changes for that? :|

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:19 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
In the first place, it's illegal to cut anything from a show. In the second, why cut "My Unfortunate Erection"? All guys get them. Whether you want to face it or not, it's a fact of life. If you think a boy being frustrated due to being sexually aroused and thereafter distracted is inappropriate, apparently you can't sympathize that well. Yes, the song can be taken comedically, but some people can seriously identify with it. He's not only frustrated with being distracted/eliminated, he's frustrated with all the changes and new experiences happening in his life.

For all that is implies you may as well cut "Giants in the Sky" from Into The Woods.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Pounce wrote:

Please,Hello wrote:
Do you have any changes for that? :|

I haven't seen it.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:15 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

why cut "My Unfortunate Erection"? All guys get them. Whether you want to face it or not, it's a fact of life. If you think a boy being frustrated due to being sexually aroused and thereafter distracted is inappropriate, apparently you can't sympathize that well. Yes, the song can be taken comedically, but some people can seriously identify with it. He's not only frustrated with being distracted/eliminated, he's frustrated with all the changes and new experiences happening in his life.

For all that is implies you may as well cut "Giants in the Sky" from Into The Woods.

Well, it's all pretty veiled in "Giants in the Sky". In "My Unfortunate Erection", it's not. Sure it's natural and normal but most people feel uncomfortable talking about it. It's not a subject in everyday conversation and a delicate topic even among close friends. Spelling Bee pretty much acknowledges that by using its shock appeal. But essentially it is about Chip going through puberty and having "different" feelings about girls that conflict with his more academic thoughts.

But Spelling Bee is more than Chip's erotic feelings. It has a lot of material kids can identify with outside of that. That's why I think a slightly toned down version, a student version, could be really popular with schools. And I think it is possible without damaging the show's quintessence.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

In the first place, it's illegal to cut anything from a show. In the second, why cut "My Unfortunate Erection"? All guys get them. Whether you want to face it or not, it's a fact of life. If you think a boy being frustrated due to being sexually aroused and thereafter distracted is inappropriate, apparently you can't sympathize that well. Yes, the song can be taken comedically, but some people can seriously identify with it. He's not only frustrated with being distracted/eliminated, he's frustrated with all the changes and new experiences happening in his life.

Exactly. The show can't be forwarded.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:56 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I also belive there is a part in the show where Loganne talks about current politics. In the show I saw, she was slamming Sarah Palin and Obama with all these political jokes. I don't know if thats in the licenced script though.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:59 am

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
I also belive there is a part in the show where Loganne talks about current politics. In the show I saw, she was slamming Sarah Palin and Obama with all these political jokes. I don't know if thats in the licenced script though.

They change it according to current events. Sara Inbar and Sarah Saltzberg used to email each other weekly about Logainne's rant so it stayed topical. I only saw it on Broadway once, but her comments were much less radical compared to San Francisco, and this was by design (due to having tourists from all over). I also saw the production at San Jose Rep, and while it wasn't quite as funny, it was still topical.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:11 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In the tour they threw in some jokes for the locals. For instance Logainne Schwartzandgrubenierre would foretell her future working for "President Shirley Franklin" (the then and present Atlanta mayor). In Pittsburgh Logainne mentioned their mayor Luke Ravenstahl. Apparently they can make some changes.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:14 am

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
They can also change Olive's mode of transportation. For the entire SF run, she said she got to the Bee by BART. In San Jose, she said she used the light rail.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

They can also change Olive's mode of transportation. For the entire SF run, she said she got to the Bee by BART. In San Jose, she said she used the light rail.

Yeah, in Atlanta she took MARTA. And I think she also said something like "I've never seen a school gym in a museum before". The theater is attached to the High Museum.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next