The Resource For Musicals



The Green Room Forum


Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Is Spelling Bee appropriate for high schools? 
Author Message
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:15 pm
Posts: 1367
Post 
jackissensational wrote:
If you want to bend it that much, they should release a student version. I doubt they would, but it's an idea.

I don't see why they wouldn't. Obviously you know there are other student versions and I can't think of a better candidate for a student version than Spelling Bee.

_________________
POUNCE!!!!!
ImageImageImage


Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:46 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:38 pm
Posts: 433
Location: In your dreams...
Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Post 
Because spelling bee is not for students. William Finn uses bad language, inaproprate stuff, touchey subjects, and weird spelling sentences for a reason. You can not censor talet. It's a terrible idea.

_________________
Do you know how great my life is...saving lives and loving you..


Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:21 pm
Profile
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:26 am
Posts: 87
Post 
Wow Please, tell us how you really feel.
So in your opinion, high school students should stick to the old moldies like My Fair Lady, Disney and Guys and Dolls?
Like Pounce said, the plot revolves around students and, barring a couple things that might be inappropriate in a parents' eye, everything in it applies to their real lives.


Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:46 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:15 pm
Posts: 1367
Post 
Please,Hello wrote:
Because spelling bee is not for students. William Finn uses bad language, inaproprate stuff, touchey subjects, and weird spelling sentences for a reason. You can not censor talet. It's a terrible idea.

I've been to shows where children were brought up on stage. I forget exactly but I think it was listed as about appropriate for 12 and up. The language wasn't too bad and it can be changed. The inappropriate and touchy stuff can be softened, all without losing the spirit of the show. Even the weird sentences were not terribly objectionable. I suppose the production can decide what sort of sentences to use.

If anything "needs to be changed", it really isn't much and the spirit of the show would still be intact.

_________________
POUNCE!!!!!
ImageImageImage


Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:51 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:38 pm
Posts: 433
Location: In your dreams...
Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Post 
carolecat wrote:
Wow Please, tell us how you really feel.
So in your opinion, high school students should stick to the old moldies like My Fair Lady, Disney and Guys and Dolls?
Like Pounce said, the plot revolves around students and, barring a couple things that might be inappropriate in a parents' eye, everything in it applies to their real lives.


9 to 5! Curtains! Company! Anyone Can Whistle! Theres a ton of new shows that can be done once they are released. Road Show! The Story of My Life! You can't change, you can't cut any songs! Especially chips lament.

_________________
Do you know how great my life is...saving lives and loving you..


Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:38 pm
Posts: 433
Location: In your dreams...
Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Post 
Pounce wrote:
Please,Hello wrote:
Because spelling bee is not for students. William Finn uses bad language, inaproprate stuff, touchey subjects, and weird spelling sentences for a reason. You can not censor talet. It's a terrible idea.

I've been to shows where children were brought up on stage. I forget exactly but I think it was listed as about appropriate for 12 and up. The language wasn't too bad and it can be changed. The inappropriate and touchy stuff can be softened, all without losing the spirit of the show. Even the weird sentences were not terribly objectionable. I suppose the production can decide what sort of sentences to use.

If anything "needs to be changed", it really isn't much and the spirit of the show would still be intact.


So you say we should cut chips lament?

_________________
Do you know how great my life is...saving lives and loving you..


Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:15 pm
Posts: 1367
Post 
Please,Hello wrote:
Pounce wrote:
Please,Hello wrote:
Because spelling bee is not for students. William Finn uses bad language, inaproprate stuff, touchey subjects, and weird spelling sentences for a reason. You can not censor talet. It's a terrible idea.

I've been to shows where children were brought up on stage. I forget exactly but I think it was listed as about appropriate for 12 and up. The language wasn't too bad and it can be changed. The inappropriate and touchy stuff can be softened, all without losing the spirit of the show. Even the weird sentences were not terribly objectionable. I suppose the production can decide what sort of sentences to use.

If anything "needs to be changed", it really isn't much and the spirit of the show would still be intact.


So you say we should cut chips lament?

No, as I pointed out, it can be changed. People have different sensibilities. I'm fine with it. But if some administrator or parents (or yourself) think it's a bit too offensive for a high school production, it can be altered as I pointed out and still retain the spirit of the song.

I'll just toss out this suggestion.

It is tradition
That the person eliminated
From the competition
Is fair game for derision
Especially the alpha-male
Will sell goodies at the bake sale

Anyone for brownies
Anyone for chocolate chips
Anyone for anything
That isn’t dated
How could I have been
Eliminated?
You wanna know how?
You wanna know how?
You wanna know why?

My unfortunate affection
Is destroying my perfection
It is my recollection
That everything I once did
I did perfectly
(spoken) Last year’s champ defeated!
(sung) Because of
Marigold Coneybear
Because there’s something and not a thing between us
I don’t blame my brain but I do blame my genus

My unrequited romance
Seems to have its own exuberance
Anyone for M & M’s?
Delicious and appropriate
Anyone for Chewy Goobers?
Inexpensive
Anyone for buying the stuff that I’m selling?
Because my desire has ruined my spelling

Affection
Affection

My unfortunate affection
Whoa
It’s ruining my life
It’s ruining my world
It’s ruining my
Ruining
Ruining
Ruining my life
My life

Adulthood brings its own peculiar rejection
Which is why I’m selling this PTA
Confection
It will ruin your complexion
All because of my unfortunate
Affection
Oh No!

_________________
POUNCE!!!!!
ImageImageImage


Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:29 am
Profile
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:26 am
Posts: 87
Post 
Absolutely great!
I will have to say honestly, I saw the show several times, once in NYC, and I really hated that song. I don't think erections are funny, and I'm definitely no puritan.
Sure, it's a fact of life but some things are just not funny.


Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:01 am
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:38 pm
Posts: 433
Location: In your dreams...
Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Post 
carolecat wrote:
Absolutely great!
I will have to say honestly, I saw the show several times, once in NYC, and I really hated that song. I don't think erections are funny, and I'm definitely no puritan.
Sure, it's a fact of life but some things are just not funny.


You must have a bad sense of humor. What is chips song then huh?


And the changes arn't FUNNY. You might as well take the gore out of sweeney todd! My unfortunate affection? really......you make me hurl.

_________________
Do you know how great my life is...saving lives and loving you..


Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:17 am
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:15 pm
Posts: 1367
Post 
What you like in the song is the shock humor which is a cheap way to get laughs. But the changes I suggest still convey the same basic idea and doesn't damage the plot.

The show's topic is ideal for schools and I'll guess there might be a lot of requests for a "sanitized" version. But really, only a small portion of Spelling Bee might be deemed offensive.

_________________
POUNCE!!!!!
ImageImageImage


Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:20 pm
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:38 pm
Posts: 433
Location: In your dreams...
Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Post 
If you change it we can only guess that yes, he did have a erection.

_________________
Do you know how great my life is...saving lives and loving you..


Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:30 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:15 pm
Posts: 1367
Post 
Please,Hello wrote:
If you change it we can only guess that yes, he did have a erection.

No, I don't think his having an erection is really the point or even important. Chip is entering puberty and has to deal with his interest in girls intruding into his mind. That's the crux of the matter.

_________________
POUNCE!!!!!
ImageImageImage


Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:55 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.