The Resource For Musicals

Starlight Express Forum

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
StEx is touring NEW ZEALAND '09! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I got lazy and used the ones already on black backgrounds so that I didn't have to cut the characters out carefully. Although somehow the lazy approach seems appropriate. :|

Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:17 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Very much so. You've already put more effort into that poster than they did on the official ones.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:29 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I'll be buying a ticket to the Christchurch leg of the NZ tour this week, so come July I'll post a review here! I'm not the biggest fan in the world of the show, but I know half the cast so kinda have to go and see it! What I can say is that there are some great talents in the cast - the lead swing, Matt Pike, is currently rehearsing The Engineer in the production of Miss Saigon that I'm ASMing, and he's fantastic, completely magnetic on stage; I've worked with Dinah, Caboose, Ruhrgold and Prince of Wales as well and they've all got big futures ahead of them - very talented kids!

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:09 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Very good Pearl. I love how her accent dissapears when she starts singing.

http://www.reallyuseful.com/shows/starl ... lery/video

Different version to the Australian and Bochum recodings.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:22 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I've just got home from the show, so some thoughts....I should add that I'm not familiar with the show in any of its versions, so can only judge it on what I saw.
- Production values are top-notch, my only complaint would be some decidedly average followspotting. Lighting and sound were excellent.
- All the "imported" lead cast members were great - Rusty, Greaseball, Poppa, Caboose (the NZ Caboose had a bad fall near the end of rehearsals and is out for the season, which is a shame). I didn't see Mykal Rand as Electra; Matt Pike, the lead swing, was on, which I was actually really pleased about as I know him, have worked with him and deliberately went to a matinee in the hope he'd be on. He was fantastic - the three guys doing "One Rock and Roll Too Many" was the highlight of the show for me.
- The Kiwi cast certainly held their own. Pearl was a bit pitchy in the first half but definitely came right in the second half and has a lovely voice; Dinah, Ashley and Buffy were all excellent and the supporting cast were very strong.
- The band was very, very tight - by the sounds of it there are some tricky bits in the score but they were great.
- I was a bit disappointed that the races were filmed, but it makes total sense - the venues the show is touring to are quite differently shaped and so having the tracks would have been pretty complicated. I do have to say that the films did look a bit like a video game in a couple of places....think maybe they could have done better there.

So, overall verdict is that it was an excellent production of a show which I think is decidedly average!!

Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Duane McGregor - formerly of the Bochum production - is playing Caboose, and Gavin Ashbarry (both Bochum and UK tour) is now Dustin.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3