The Resource For Musicals

The Sound of Music Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Camille 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Camille
In the song "How Can Love Survive?", when Elsa sings "I cannont die like Camille for you," is she referencing the movie "Camille"?

I've always wondered this. Thanks!

Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:02 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Either that or the original book and play, which existed long before the movie.

("Die like Camille" is kind of a dumb thing to say, though. The heroine of that story's name is Marguerite. "Camille" is just the title, referencing the fact that she always wears camellias. But I suppose more people know the title than the details of the story, so it's easy shorthand.)

Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

("Die like Camille" is kind of a dumb thing to say, though. The heroine of that story's name is Marguerite. "Camille" is just the title, referencing the fact that she always wears camellias. But I suppose more people know the title than the details of the story, so it's easy shorthand.)

Well, bear in mind that Hammerstein was dying of cancer throughout the making of SoM; it's only natural that his lyric-writing wasn't up to par.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Either that or the original book and play, which existed long before the movie.

Her name is Marguerite, but as a courtesan she WAS known by the soubriquet "Camille" or "La Dame Aux Camilles". It was more than just the title of the work, it was her nickname among the artistes and people who followed her exploits in the broadsheets of Paris. So to say "Die like Camille" would be perfectly correct. And historically, the character is referred to as Camille.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:27 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Thanks guys!! At first, I was like "oh, that's the lady in the movie." Then, I realized her name was Marguerite.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Her name is Marguerite, but as a courtesan she WAS known by the soubriquet "Camille" or "La Dame Aux Camilles". It was more than just the title of the work, it was her nickname among the artistes and people who followed her exploits in the broadsheets of Paris. So to say "Die like Camille" would be perfectly correct. And historically, the character is referred to as Camille.

Oh. I didn't remember that - I have the book, but it's been two or three years since I read it. Thanks.

I just remembered reading that when Sarah Bernhardt, one of the most famous stage Marguerites, was told that in English-speaking countries the play was called "Camille" instead of "La Dame aux Camelias"/"The Lady of the Camellias," she burst out laughing.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:50 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Camille
Even though it was a book, maybe TSOM was referencing the movie because "Camille" came out in 1936, and "Sound of Music" took place in 1938. Therefore, maybe Elsa was referring to the recent box office hit.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]